List Mgmt. Where can we show improvement?

Remove this Banner Ad

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
I guess - this question might be a bit early as it does refer to list management.

However, lets just assume we can re-write history and we actually beat Melbourne in round 7 and Carlton in round 10 and right now we are sitting 11 wins and 6 losses.

For the flog reading this who can nor differentiate a hypothetical existence, we all know we didn't.

Although, if we did and I acknowledge we didn't - this would have us sitting on the precipice of the top 4.

However, in reality - are we a top 4 or 5 side? no, IMO we are not even close. We still have a long way to go before becoming a premiership team. Therefore, where can we show that improvement to close the gap?

Forward line: Betts, Walker, Lynch and Jenkins are still young enough that they have a number of years to go and then add Cameron and we a very nice mix between key forwards, key smalls, speed and defensive pressure. We can successfully build around this group of forwards to construct a formula to head towards a tilt for a flag within the next 2 years.

One issue I can see is our depth. SMACK and Lewis Johnson are on borrowed time for an AFL list, therefore we will need to draft a number of young key forwards who can continue to add that pressure to perform. I have elected to leave J-Pod out as I'm looking at this over a 2 or 3 year basis.

midfield: Most premiership sides need anywhere between 8 and 10 midfielders to rotate in and out of the midfield during a match. From my count, we have Sam Jacobs, Brad and Matt Crouch, Nathan van berlo, Patrick Dangerfield, Richard Douglas, Rory Sloan, David Mackay and Brody Smith. That gives us 9. Then if you add Mitchell Grigg and sam Kerridge and we can reach the needed 10. Some need more game time and development but I think with that 10, we are on the right track.

We are in massive trouble if Jacobs goes down. So, we should look for an able replacement and rookie list or draft one. I don't think we will get Lycett from West Coast.

Defence: This is our biggest worry. With Smith moving into the midfield, Talia, Otten, Henderson and Brown are the only players who fill me with any amount of confidence down back. We really need to find a number of better defenders, players who can break a line and offer dash out of the defensive 50.

So, IMO we have 3 major areas to cover. A young key forward, a back up ruck and a number of running defenders.

So, where do we need to improve to bridge that gap between 8th and 1st?

We need a player like Pearce Hanley who is a running defender , Scott Lycett as a back up ruckman , Sam Reid as a young key defender. I would also say a young KPD from the draft.

In our midfield we are pretty young Crouch x2 , Sloane, Grigg, Kerridge , Danger , Mackay , Smith , Jacobs
Forwards : Lynch , Tex , Jenkins , Wright , Cameron ,
Defenders : Brown , Laird , Talia , Hendo , Otten , Jaensch

Players to develop : Spina , Battersby , Cameron , Crouch jnr , Atkins , Knight , Kelly

Overall we are a young team. We need to draft some players in positions we need to fulfill.

I don't think we need running defenders, we have Hendo and New Jaensch.

Our problem is really depth and star power.
Star power wise, we've unlocked some gold in smith and Talia. We have Dangerfield. We probably need two more full on A graders, capable of multiple AA's over their career. Sloane is close.
As for depth, we don't go any deeper than about player 26 on the list. And you always have a few injuries. And even with that depth, 22-26 are all young promising types (keggers, grigg, M crouch, etc).

So, we need that backup ruck, a new truck, some outside run with class.
Then we need our depth to get deeper. I expect we bank on the 8 or so youngish guys that are in and out of the 22 coming on strong. If the bottom 8 players in our 22 step up, we'll be powerful.

Then all we need is some good coaching.

I don't think we need running defenders, we have Hendo and New Jaensch.

Our problem is really depth and star power.
Star power wise, we've unlocked some gold in smith and Talia. We have Dangerfield. We probably need two more full on A graders, capable of multiple AA's over their career. Sloane is close.
As for depth, we don't go any deeper than about player 26 on the list. And you always have a few injuries. And even with that depth, 22-26 are all young promising types (keggers, grigg, M crouch, etc).

So, we need that backup ruck, a new truck, some outside run with class.
Then we need our depth to get deeper. I expect we bank on the 8 or so youngish guys that are in and out of the 22 coming on strong. If the bottom 8 players in our 22 step up, we'll be powerful.

Then all we need is some good coaching.

Crouch sn is one potential full on A grader and Tex has that potential to be the other.

We need a backup ruck, and a forward that can take a contested grab and kick straight. We need a shultz. Our outside run is looking better but I agree we are probably another reliable backman short

i say if we are certain to make the finals, we must rest dangerfield vs st kilda and play riley knight!! i feel from watching him he could be our next sloane with his workrate. not only this but he has exceptional composure and great footskills. thoughts on this? could mean if we see enough out of him that we do not need to trade for an outside mid with out first pick!

The improvement should come from more games together as a group (more instinctive movement, knowing where teammates will run to, etc.). Remembering players like B.Crouch have only a handful of games so far, once they're settled in the team longer term I think we'll be better off. I personally don't think we need to recruit too many - especially in the midfield, where I think we have more than 9 in the mix. My worry is if a Tex or JJ get injured we are a little light on for talls up forward (assuming Pods retires after end of next season). Personally I think VB should be played off half back once he returns, if at all, as he's not great in the midfield anyway. Another concern for me is Lynch's role (he can be good, but he's also been horrible on quite a few occasions), so I'd like to see Grigg played in this type of role - much as he seemed to do on the weekend. We did look a bit stagnant with all of Pods, Tex, JJ and Lynch up forward. Still worried about our pace down back with Otten and Talia, but Hendo and Smith probably help mask this to some extent. Would really like to see Hartigan make it too as he has plenty of upside. All in all, another ruck option (if Sauce goes down), and another 6'3" / 6'4" medium tall with a bit of toe up forward would help our structure IMHO. As others have said...Graham and McKernan are not up to AFL standard and should be delisted.

i assume we're all in agreeance saying reilly, porps, mckernan and graham will all be delisted/retired off at the end of the year?

how many do we need to turn over again?

i assume we're all in agreeance saying reilly, porps, mckernan and graham will all be delisted/retired off at the end of the year?

how many do we need to turn over again?

Reilly is the only one I am unsure of at this stage. Back in the day we'd have turned his last year into a coaching position at the club but I think we're not doing that anymore so he may play on. I think our most pressing need is another KPD, we have a host of couldbees on our list and one may step up but at present we look a bit thin down there and god help us if Talia gets injured

I really feel we lack a defensive lock down player that can nullify opposition's third tall forward. Someone who has the height, strength, stamina, agility and skill to match it with these guys. I feel like Otten is playing that role, but he isn't a lock down defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The improvement should come from more games together as a group (more instinctive movement, knowing where teammates will run to, etc.). Remembering players like B.Crouch have only a handful of games so far, once they're settled in the team longer term I think we'll be better off. I personally don't think we need to recruit too many - especially in the midfield, where I think we have more than 9 in the mix. My worry is if a Tex or JJ get injured we are a little light on for talls up forward (assuming Pods retires after end of next season). Personally I think VB should be played off half back once he returns, if at all, as he's not great in the midfield anyway. Another concern for me is Lynch's role (he can be good, but he's also been horrible on quite a few occasions), so I'd like to see Grigg played in this type of role - much as he seemed to do on the weekend. We did look a bit stagnant with all of Pods, Tex, JJ and Lynch up forward. Still worried about our pace down back with Otten and Talia, but Hendo and Smith probably help mask this to some extent. Would really like to see Hartigan make it too as he has plenty of upside. All in all, another ruck option (if Sauce goes down), and another 6'3" / 6'4" medium tall with a bit of toe up forward would help our structure IMHO. As others have said...Graham and McKernan are not up to AFL standard and should be delisted.

Our half back flankers are smith, henderson, and jaensch. Who drops out of those 3 for VB?

You do realise lynchs position is as the third tall, leading between the arcs? And we don't look stagnant because of lynch, we look stagnant because pods and walker cannot move. Lynch isn't going anywhere, and if we are playing a fossil over him, expect us to lose him back to melbourne ffs

We need another ruck though, desperately. Its hard to get a mature recruit, as they know they will only be insurance, must draft one

Our half back flankers are smith, henderson, and jaensch. Who drops out of those 3 for VB?

You do realise lynchs position is as the third tall, leading between the arcs? And we don't look stagnant because of lynch, we look stagnant because pods and walker cannot move. Lynch isn't going anywhere, and if we are playing a fossil over him, expect us to lose him back to melbourne ffs

We need another ruck though, desperately. Its hard to get a mature recruit, as they know they will only be insurance, must draft one
Tex can't move?

Tex can't move?
Hardly, he seems to have lost the pace he did have, hopefully it comes back, you never see him take a mark with distance between him and his opponent, they are always on his hammer. He doesn't chase either

He is getting by through his big frame and core, still a beast though, if he finds that pace again this year, look out opposition!

Hardly, he seems to have lost the pace he did have, hopefully it comes back, you never see him take a mark with distance between him and his opponent, they are always on his hammer. He doesn't chase either

He is getting by through his big frame and core, still a beast though, if he finds that pace again this year, look out opposition!

I think that'll come back in 2015. Preseason and all that jazz.

A big, strong, CONFIDENT tall defender is a real need, Hartigan is big and strong but his propensity to panic and turnover the pill under pressure does not fill me with confidence going forward. An athletic young ruckman should be on our shopping list in the draft with a view to future development. Personally I'd keep Graham for another season.

A big, strong, CONFIDENT tall defender is a real need, Hartigan is big and strong but his propensity to panic and turnover the pill under pressure does not fill me with confidence going forward. An athletic young ruckman should be on our shopping list in the draft with a view to future development. Personally I'd keep Graham for another season.

I feel Hartigan is as confident as you would expect from a 10 game player. He made mistakes early in games but I feel he generally played a solid second half and it takes confidence to believe in yourself and make up for those mistakes

I feel Hartigan is as confident as you would expect from a 10 game player. He made mistakes early in games but I feel he generally played a solid second half and it takes confidence to believe in yourself and make up for those mistakes
Yes still too early to see if hartigan can be more confident under pressure. He's an unknown possible at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back