Where Do the Swans Go From Here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Nothoing better than reading the many Hawk posts on here attempting to dig the boots into anything Swans.
The infatuation with any Swans threads by Hawk supporters is amusing.
Why they feel so threatened is beyond me.

Is it still 2012 burning?
Has to be!

Of course already having a three-peat and going for four in a row would have been nice, and it would be silly to suggest otherwise. Naturally it hurts to have lost to a team that had been propped up and spoon fed by the AFL for years. Then having that team take one of our best players was certainly rubbing salt into those wounds. I should think a lot of AFL fans - not just those that support Hawthorn - get some enjoyment out of watching how poorly your team performs without your star recruit in the side due to the damage that deal has done to your depth. I'd still rather deal with the pain of losing 2012 than the hurt that would come from supporting a team that has needed such AFL support over such a long period of time to just survive though. The fact that we inflicted the most punishing loss dealt out to any GF favourite in living memory to your side in last year's grand final does provide some solace.

Oh and congratulations on responding to a "well I'm surprised to see Sydney doing so well" post with a "2012 still burning" post. Confirmed my suspicions that you are clearly one of your fan base's worst posters.

Last edited:
Thank you for being a decent poster. Thank you for being good enough to back away from your initial claim of zero profile in NSW.

I was genuinely surprised with your very healthy sponsorship figures.

Yes, I bristled at your first post because I thought "here we go, another of those jerks who want to totally deny how much the Swans have contributed to making this a truly national competition" but you're not like that. Cheers mate.

As much as it pains me to admit it, the existence of Sydney in NSW is a big reason why the AFL is in the strong position it currently enjoys in terms of the amount of money flowing through the system that is shared across all teams. While I do think Sydney's importance in making that happen has meant concessions were given in order to ensure the sole presence in NSW was successful enough to justify the TV rights figures, Sydney have also done a lot of things right to get the success they have, and any concessions are a small part of their success.

Similar to Hawthorn who received several early draft picks when bottoming out in mid 2000s, you can look at several other clubs who received more early picks than we have and still have zero flags to show for it (and in some cases very little or no finals appearances). It takes more than just a few handouts to win flags. NSW is a tough market for an AFL club to survive in , irrespective of arguments about housing costs etc, it is not massively unreasonable to expect a bit of extra assistance to cope with the fact. I don't think the fans of southern states appreciate how good their clubs have it by being the primary sport in the region. Perhaps they'll get a taste for it in a few decades if the round ball code continues its rise.

Of course when you've got equalisation strategies in place there are always going to be fans (and club leaders) who complain when the recipients get some success. Same thing happened with Brisbane. Same thing will happen with GWS/GC, and same thing would have happened if Carlton or Melbourne had managed to turn all their draft picks into flags. It is pretty natural Hawthorn fans are going to be leading the whinge brigade after losing 2012, Franklin and Kennedy to Sydney, probably hard to find another fan base that would have as much to be bitter about. Of course we've had a bit of compensation too :)

Of course already having a three-peat and going for four in a row would have been nice, and it would be silly to suggest otherwise. Naturally it hurts to have lost to a team that had been propped up and spoon fed by the AFL for years. Then having that team take one of our best players was certainly rubbing salt into those wounds. I should think a lot of AFL fans - not just those that support Hawthorn - get some enjoyment out of watching how poorly your team performs without your star recruit in the side due to the damage that deal has done to your depth. I'd still rather deal with the pain of losing 2012 than the hurt that would come from supporting a team that has needed such AFL support over such a long period of time to just survive though. The fact that we inflicted the most punishing loss dealt out to any GF favourite in living memory to your side in last year's grand final does provide some solace.

Oh and congratulations on responding to a "well I'm surprised to see Sydney doing so well" post with a "2012 still burning" post. Confirmed my suspicions that you are clearly one of your fan base's worst posters.

Yeah but..............you're all mad.

Look how much effort you went to with your post again, yet still you've dished out some sh.t!

Get over it girl!

Yeah but..............you're all mad.

Look how much effort you went to with your post again, yet still you've dished out some sh.t!

Get over it girl!

You could mount an argument that it's the clubs who can channel their loss (as both Hawthorn and the Cats did) that go on to success. The Swannies this year still seem a bit shellshocked from last year to be honest! Hawthorn haven't got over 2012 and to be honest I don't think we'd have won 2013 or 14 if we'd won in 12.

You could mount an argument that it's the clubs who can channel their loss (as both Hawthorn and the Cats did) that go on to success. The Swannies this year still seem a bit shellshocked from last year to be honest! Hawthorn haven't got over 2012 and to be honest I don't think we'd have won 2013 or 14 if we'd won in 12.

You know what?
I can't disagreee with your post.
Thanks for making sense compared to some of the vindictive dribble posted by some of your fellow Hawks.

Travelling nicely, sitting pretty in the top four and flying under the radar. It reminds me of 2003/05/06/12 when none of the experts rated them too highly, but they won interstate in week 1 and turned the finals series on its head.

The Swans have made an art-form out of pinching flags in closely-contested, even seasons.
The top 8 in 2015 is one of the closest we've seen in years, so I don't see why they can't do it again.

Last edited:
I'd written them off, but their past month hasn't been too bad. Great list, still capable of pulling it together for a finals campaign. Hard to tell. Wouldn't surprise me if they go out quickly, nor would it surprise me if they give it a good shake.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical overconfidence; they made the most of an easy draw. This is a team that nearly lost to Collingwood on their home turf a couple of weeks ago.

They will be exposed in the finals. On top of that, their list is hitting their expiry date; they're not exactly an enviable team over the long term, even with some of those academy picks.

Typical overconfidence; they made the most of an easy draw. This is a team that nearly lost to Collingwood on their home turf a couple of weeks ago.

They will be exposed in the finals. On top of that, their list is hitting their expiry date; they're not exactly an enviable team over the long term, even with some of those academy picks.

Slaughtered Adelaide a few weeks ago playing as bad as they have all year. Same will happen in a final if they are to meet. I wouldn't worry about the Swans being enviable over the long term because they just keep on keeping on when you consider they have played finals for about the last 15 or 16 in the past 19 years.

I would be more concerned how a side stays relevant when they lose their best player who clearly is their side. Could be a real DANGER period for them.

Slaughtered Adelaide a few weeks ago playing as bad as they have all year. Same will happen in a final if they are to meet. I wouldn't worry about the Swans being enviable over the long term because they just keep on keeping on when you consider they have played finals for about the last 15 or 16 in the past 19 years.

I would be more concerned how a side stays relevant when they lose their best player who clearly is their side. Could be a real DANGER period for them.
You mean the game where you got the umpires to rape us at the SCG? Not worried about that at all. In the form we're currently in, we'll comfortably beat you on neutral ground.

You kept on keeping on while you had free range over your cola extensions and no trade restrictions. After everything that's happened over the last 2 years, your fall is well and truly guaranteed.

Not concerned about Danger at all. Extremely confident he'll stay, but even if he leaves, we'll get a huge offer for him that will set us up extremely well over the long term.

You mean the game where you got the umpires to rape us at the SCG? Not worried about that at all. In the form we're currently in, we'll comfortably beat you on neutral ground.

You kept on keeping on while you had free range over your cola extensions and no trade restrictions. After everything that's happened over the last 2 years, your fall is well and truly guaranteed.

Not concerned about Danger at all. Extremely confident he'll stay, but even if he leaves, we'll get a huge offer for him that will set us up extremely well over the long term.
Hahaha jeez mate your form doesn't mean s**t, ever since the 2012 qf where we came an killed you on your own turf we proceeded to slam you by 77 points at aami in 2013, then butcher you by 64 points at Adelaide oval in 2014 and then smashed you by 50 odd points this year, the fact your so confident about playing us when your side can't even touch us shows how delusional you are.

Hahaha jeez mate your form doesn't mean s**t, ever since the 2012 qf where we came an killed you on your own turf we proceeded to slam you by 77 points at aami in 2013, then butcher you by 64 points at Adelaide oval in 2014 and then smashed you by 50 odd points this year, the fact your so confident about playing us when your side can't even touch us shows how delusional you are.
Delusional? "form doesn't mean s**t" you say? People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Your team is playing garbage football right now, and isn't anywhere near the level of your last 2-3 years. Already forgotten that you nearly lost to a basket case Collingwood on your home turf?

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever we'll beat you comfortably in our current form. You're just not that good right now, no matter how much you like to think you are, based on results against cannon fodder.

Don't bother with this bloke. Like most from Adelaide he still thinks its 1999 and Wayne Weiderman's mullet is the hairdo of choice.

I should give you a like for this, it brought back fond memories. It's been 4 or 5 years now since the groupthink was the aging Swans would finally bottom out, an aging list that was going to be 'exposed' and inevitably fade from relevance.

It's still just as enjoyable now as it was then to still be a perennial finalist and a contender while the critics are left looking for new straws to grasp. The Swans list is just fine, the youth is just fine and the team will be a feature in finals for years.

I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever we'll beat you comfortably in our current form. You're just not that good right now, no matter how much you like to think you are, based on results against cannon fodder.
Which included the crows.

I should give you a like for this, it brought back fond memories. It's been 4 or 5 years now since the groupthink was the aging Swans would finally bottom out, an aging list that was going to be 'exposed' and inevitably fade from relevance.

It's still just as enjoyable now as it was then to still be a perennial finalist and a contender while the critics are left looking for new straws to grasp. The Swans list is just fine, the youth is just fine and the team will be a feature in finals for years.

2002 "Eade's left you with a shyteful list, no kids, welcome back to the bottom Sydney!"
nek minnut, Preliminary Final in 2003, GF appearances in 2005/06 with a 72-year drought broken.

Fast forward to 2009 and missed the finals. Departure of Barry Hall, Leo Barry, Jared Crouch, Michael O'Loughlin, Amon Buchanan and Darren Jolly and once again the cries of "welcome to the bottom Sydney!, no kids, no forwards, yada yada". Roos leaves the following year.

nek minnut, 2012 and another Cup.

Yep, love being written off.

:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back