Where do you book flights from

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Nearly got caught at webjet the other week. Just trying to book a local flight to Tassie (Christmas period). Found one for $99 that suited the schedule. When I tried to book, they added $11.95 for the 'Webjet Lowest Price Guarantee'.

Had to admire the front - 'We'll get you the lowest price - but you will have to pay extra for it'.

As has been said here - use Webjet etc for research, then go direct to the airlines page. If it's overseas flights rather than domestic, the best bet is probably a trustworthy agent - they know all the tricks re connections etc. Plus you usually aren't as flexible when going OS, so you have to get it right. Better to pay a little extra than try to save $50 and find out you're landing at the up-country terminal in Where-The-*istan-Am-I. And in time to just miss your connection.

Cristiano Ronaldo

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2012
Lowry Hotel
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man United, Victory
I look at all the online ones like skyscanner, webjet, flight centre but in the end go through a private agent

Depends.. If its pleasure or holiday - go direct to the airline website. If its business travel I have to book through American Express Corporate travel

JuddsABlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
are prices the same or cheaper through these webjet places etc?

I always book directly through the airlines, I generally know which planes fly which routes so go direct to their website and book, always assumed it would be the cheapest

There were a few times when booking holidays I used expedia to find out which airlines flew to which countries, then went direct to the airlines website and booked through them

Figure its also less trouble if something goes wrong as you can be treated as a bit of lepper through those agencies while the airline will prioritise customers who booked direct through them (think this works with things like potential upgrades as well)

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
JuddsABlue not always. Usually the airlines themselves are for domestic flights. For international, particularly if changing airlines or one end or another is a less popular city the aggregators can be cheaper. skyscanner quite often will be. The others can be as well.

That said, my next trip was about $3k cheaper direct with Qantas than through any of the aggregators I looked at (skyscanner, expedia, kayak, webjet and a cuple of others); and the normally cheaper skyscanner was $5k more and quite a few hours longer with overnight in London into Heathrow and out of Gatwick. (Canberra - Naples, then Rome - Canberra).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back