Where does Sangakkara rank among the modern day greats?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 26, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Newcastle Jets, Cleveland Browns
Just notched up his 30th test hundred and is averaging near on 57 :eek: Just a great, solid batsman who often gets overlooked when talking about modern day greats like Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting and Kallis. Can we now mention him in the same breath as these four? Or does he remain in a group a peg lower with Dravid, Chanderpaul and Yousuf Youhana/Mohammad Yousuf?

I still remember that near double hundred in Hobart where he scored almost all of Sri Lanka's run on a very hard deck to bat on. One of the all time greats IMO.

The Hobart knock was brilliant, no question, tricky pitch and very good bowling.

However, can't agree that's he's one of the greats. Two 190s on dead tracks looks good, but it's just more average inflating. Pretty average Pakistan attack as well. Thilan Samaraweera has an average in the mid-50s FFS.

Interesting to note that he's now played 21 of his 111 Tests at the SSC (19% of his Tests) for an average of 79.09. Played 71 (64%) of his Tests in Sri Lanka for an average of 59. That's a lot of matches at one ground that is nothing but a highway. Away from home: 30.58 in England, 35.75 in South Africa, 34.00 in Windies and 36.50 in India. Good, but tiny amount of matches, in Australia and NZ.

I wouldn't have Yousuf Youhanna in that second rung of batsmen either, for the same reason. Excellent batsman, great bloke from all reports, but not a legend IMO.

However, can't agree that's he's one of the greats. Two 190s on dead tracks looks good, but it's just more average inflating. Pretty average Pakistan attack as well. Thilan Samaraweera has an average in the mid-50s FFS.

Interesting to note that he's now played 21 of his 111 Tests at the SSC (19% of his Tests) for an average of 79.09. Played 71 (64%) of his Tests in Sri Lanka for an average of 59. That's a lot of matches at one ground that is nothing but a highway. Away from home: 30.58 in England, 35.75 in South Africa, 34.00 in Windies and 36.50 in India. Good, but tiny amount of matches, in Australia and NZ.
What do you expect guys from the sub-continent to do outside the sub-continent? :confused: They've grown up in different conditions and that's how they're used to playing. Had Kumar grown up in Australian conditions, taking into account any social/political issues that may get in his way, he would easily be Australia's best batsmen. The only difference would be, is that the type of shots he plays and his style would be slightly different.

He would easily be Australia's best batsman, no question. Is he an all-time legend? No. I rate the guy and love his technique and temperament, but as the OP asked, I would not have his name along with Lara, Kallis, Ponting, Tendulkar. Very hard to when he's played one-fifth of his matches on the same highway, and a suprisingly high amount of home matches. Not his fault, but factors I think are important.

I rate Lara and Kallis the most of out the "modern greats". Lara for playing in a woeful team, carrying the entire batting lineup (sans Shiv) and making mammoth scores when set. All-time favourite technique, approach and aggression. Kallis, best average of anyone in the modern era while playing in the most difficult batting conditions in Test cricket.

Great player. Lot of respect for him, the way he carries himself. And his team...

Great player of the modern era. Not an all time great, but if you put in a top 10, he'd be there for his very good batting and adequate keeping.

I look back to the mid 80s and pretty much only 4 players averaged above 50, Border, Richards, Gavaskar and Miandad.

Today there are maybe a dozen, so you have to dissect them a lot closer I guess.

If you go by statistics for a world X1, you'd fill in the top order out of the last 7 years and add bradman.

He is one of those who makes batting look ridiculously easy at times, hardly seems to hit the ball, all timing, and always cool under pressure. Wisden cricketer of the year last season.
Seems to be a fantastic ambassador for his country and his sport

Seems like a very smart guy, takes the bad decisions with a great deal of class which has to be a huge point in his favor, unlike some other modern greats (Punter, SRT)

I reckon he's hugely under-estimated since he comes from a less high-profile nation like Sri Lanka

If someone with those stats came from India he'd be regarded more highly in the greater scheme of things IMHO....
Not so. Aravinda de Silva is regarded as one of the all time greats from SL despite having a batting average in the mid 40s. He played in an era which included the greats from the west indies, kapil dev, imran khan, against one of the strongest Australian line ups and still performed well against all.

Probably held up in the same category as David Boon, Dean Jones category.

Sangakkara is a very good batsman and is probably in the top 10 of the modern era, but then you have players like Dravid, tendulkar, Punter, Kallis, Hayden, Hussey, etc etc all averaging 50 or above.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's in my top 10 modern bats (no particular order):

Ponting
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Sangakarra
Jayawardene
Hayden
Dravid
Chanderpaul
Cook (debatable choice but I think he will become an England all time great)

He's in my top 10 modern bats (no particular order):

Ponting
Kallis
Lara
Tendulkar
Sangakarra
Jayawardene
Hayden
Dravid
Chanderpaul
Cook (debatable choice but I think he will become an England all time great)

good list aside from Cook and Jayawardene.

Cook is barely over 100 tests and already looks to be struggling - his current record isn't amazing.

If you were going to include Cook you'd be including guys like Smith.

Cook is barely over 100 tests and already looks to be struggling - his current record isn't amazing

If you were going to include Cook you'd be including guys like Smith.
Get your hand off it. Cook is England's highest-ever runscorer and century-maker. He's also the youngest player ever to crack 9,000 runs, and looks well on track to be the youngest to crack 10,000.

Sangakkara's decent but he benefited hugely from cashing in at home on dead tracks in postage stamp-sized grounds.

Personally of the modern players my ranks would be

Tier 1 - Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting
Tier 2 - Steve Waugh, Dravid, Sangakkara, Kallis, de Villiers
Tier 3 - Cook, Younis Khan, Inzaman, Graeme Smith, Hayden, Clarke, Gilchrist, Pietersen. Sehwag
Tier 4 - Martyn, Langer, Hussey, Amla, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Flower

Get your hand off it. Cook is England's highest-ever runscorer and century-maker. He's also the youngest player ever to crack 9,000 runs, and looks well on track to be the youngest to crack 10,000.

Sangakkara's decent but he benefited hugely from cashing in at home on dead tracks in postage stamp-sized grounds.

Cook is only arguably better than Graeme Smith - who has a great record away from home.

That isn't because Cook isn't a very, very good batsman but because Smith is also a very, very good batsman

Personally of the modern players my ranks would be

Tier 1 - Tendulkar, Lara, Ponting
Tier 2 - Steve Waugh, Dravid, Sangakkara, Kallis, de Villiers
Tier 3 - Cook, Younis Khan, Inzaman, Graeme Smith, Hayden, Clarke, Gilchrist, Pietersen. Sehwag
Tier 4 - Martyn, Langer, Hussey, Amla, Laxman, Chanderpaul, Flower

Very good list. I would drop Hayden, Gilchrist, Pietersen and de Villiers (only based on his record, not talent) to tier 4 alongside the addition of Mohammed Yousuf and promote Chanderpaul and Flower to tier 3. Hard to argue with though- well done.

Very good list. I would drop Hayden, Gilchrist, Pietersen and de Villiers (only based on his record, not talent) to tier 4 alongside the addition of Mohammed Yousuf and promote Chanderpaul and Flower to tier 3. Hard to argue with though- well done.

I swear I had Yousuf in but just looked and I didn't

Don't like the bloke, he doesn't belong in the handsome club for men.

It's not international cricket, but his run in England this summer is something else.

50-over cricket: 8 innings, 2 100's and 3 50's, 515 runs at 85.
First class cricket: 11 innings, 6 100's and 2 50's, 1086 runs at 108.6.

With 180* in the current county match, his last 10 trips to the crease in both formats have yielded 1046 at 130.75 (2 not outs) including 6 centuries (4 in a row at one stage, with an 84 going for 5 in a row). Only taking into account first class matches he did score centuries in five consecutive innings (the 84 already mentioned was for 6 consecutive first class centuries).

Was fortunate enough to get to day one of the derby between Middlesex and Surrey at Lords where he scored a beautiful century. Was poetry (typical Sanga) once he got to about 30.

He's been on the international scene for long enough so it was probably mentally time to checkout, but there is no doubt he could've played another 2-3 years of test cricket. His bank balance is probably better off playing county cricket for Surrey then international cricket for Sri Lanka. Hopefully I can get down to The Oval for a county match before the season ends and he hangs up the boots for good.

20170518_164834.jpg 20170518_164922.jpg

When playing without the gloves he is clearly the second best batsman by average in the world. Still the best batsman I've seen. Best player belongs to J Kallis but Sanga is an absolute star.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back