Cars & Transportation Where has the "thank you" wave gone??!?!?

Remove this Banner Ad

ah - back in the days when men were men

prey tell, what makes a man a man?

is it the woman in his arm, just because she has big t***ies?
or is it the way that he fights every day?

So who's going to start the thread 'what makes a man a man? Got certified legendary tatooed all over it.

So who's going to start the thread 'what makes a man a man? Got certified legendary tatooed all over it.
The guy wearing a cheerleaders uniform

ah - back in the days when men were men

prey tell, what makes a man a man?

is it the woman in his arm, just because she has big t***ies?
or is it the way that he fights every day?

Nah it's someone who doesn't need validation for everything he does.

Also, don't forget the importance of the "Sorry!" wave

sXSSH.jpg

Will generally only give a thank you wave if someone makes my life easier when they didn't have to, e.g. someone moves their car over a little to let my bike through in heavy traffic, but the drivers are pretty terrible where I live so I've done it maybe once every year.

OP - get a motorcycle, car drivers are still jerks but other riders (at least those not on harleys) will generally wave or nod towards you, so much better than cars!

You really do come across as an a-hole. A little bit of manners doesn't go astray

Yeah pretty much, I catch the bus a lot and I'd say 90% of people say "cheers" to the bus driver when they get off even though he's only doing his job, nice little thing to restore some faith in humanity.

It's all but gone where I live in East Bentleigh (Melbourne). :(
Fair dinkum, I reckon I get a wave about 10% of the time, and, predictably, that's from older people.
I've got my hands full changing swiftly from 1st, 2nd, 3rd gears to give a thank you wave in some cases. Don't know the stats on how many people still drive manual compared to autos but that's my excuse anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I used to reserve that for those that pushed in and then proceeded to wave.

I see the wave quite often and will always do it if someone has been nice, particularly when riding.

Yeah, a constant waver here.

There's a few types of wave:
- the freeway merge wave
- the sorry wave
- the suburban street lined with parked cars, let you through first wave
- the shopping centre, thanks for the car park wave
- the speed camera ahead high-beam wave

...lots more no doubt. I like getting a wave. Without knowing that person at all and never seeing them again, I've already judged them as a decent, courteous type, and wish them the best.

My crackpot theory, people that don't wave usually look like they're struggling to keep the car on the road anyway. In our neck of the woods, I never expect a wave from a young female. No doubt she can fix her eyeliner and text her **** mates whilst nursing a Diet Coke and passing a tram though.

Even when I have right of way on my bike, and motorists legally have to give way to me, I always tend to 'thankyou wave' - I think I'm just trying to re-inforce good behaviour/safe driving!
I do this too - one particular spot near Vic Markets is notorious for drivers taking out cyclists and cutting in front of the bike lane without looking, so I always offer the thank you wave for cars who suffer the 'inconvenience' of waiting 3 seconds before turning.

Sidestreets in my area where one car has to wait for another going tot he opposite way to pass must have a 95% wave rate. Mostly locals though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back