Where the hell do I take my lose change?

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you guys collect some much coins? I try to do it but just spend them on worthless s**t. I had a mate who once filled up a never fail water bottle with coins, I'd ask him but we no longer speak.

I wouldn't mind doing this from now til Christmas then exchange them around Christmas Day!

Any tips you can give me would be much appreciated.

I don't take silver out of the house, each night I throw it in one of those movie promotional cups, when that fills I throw it in a suit case.

I'd have a couple of thou. easily and it weighs a ton.

It seems to have slowed down considerably since the arrival of school aged kids though.

I have wondered how to go about this also. Have about $800 worth at home. The last time I took in loose change years ago to the bank they gave me a receipt with a ? on it which was a bit dodgy. Will have to bite the bullet eventually I suppose.

Selected NAB banks have coin machines, The one in Williamstown has one. I broke it by tipping a water cooler bottle of change into it, somehow some of the change I had been collecting included 10 different countries worth of coins and even washers.

Selected NAB banks have coin machines, The one in Williamstown has one. I broke it by tipping a water cooler bottle of change into it, somehow some of the change I had been collecting included 10 different countries worth of coins and even washers.

congratulations :p, i'm sure they were thrilled.

Someone I know took bags of change pre-counted to a bank about a week ago. The teller tried to charge a fee of 10% of the total amount for converting it to notes. True story.

just go buy groceries and pay with it? If you embarrassed paying with coins use the self-service so no one notices.

I've only recently started doing this myself - just force feed silver into the coin slot when paying and once all gone, use gold coins/notes as required. The only other thing I use my loose silver for is donating to charities and the like on occasion.

I always chuck my loose change on my public transport card (Myki), one less thing to worry about when drunkenly stumbling about the city

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've got a sheeeeetload of coins, have been meaning to take them to the bank for ages. Would be pushing $1k now.

I used to use the $5, $10, $20, $50 bags as required but since my bank has one of those fandangled new machines I won't bother next time and will just rock up with a big sack with a dollar sign on it. I also have everything from Ringgits to Euro to Kroner to pennies and nickels lying around so might chuck a couple of odd ones in there to see what the machine spits out.

Agree 100% with bank tellers giving you attitude about wanting to deposit coins, though. The bank is where you deposit money. The teller is your interface with the bank. If I turn up at the bank with money, it's pretty obvious what I want to do... it's like rocking up at Subway and the 'Sandwich Artist' being miffed that you actually want them to make you a sandwich rather than just hand you a Coke or something.

I have collected $48 in lose change that I would now like converted into notes (and three 'dollar' coins), what do I do? Do I take in down to my nearest bank branch and "deposit" it? Will they charge me for that (the bastards)? Or is there another option?

I am stumped.

Take mine to my local bendigo bank. I have a few accounts with them and they know me so are happy to do it and supply me with plastic bank bags as needed. They have one of the machines that counts change but it always spits out five cent pieces.

Collect all my coins for the year then cash them in just before Christmas. Usually somewhere between $800- $1200.

Like many others have said, I am with Commonwealth and they have a money counting machine. Take it in and it will count it for you and give you a receipt to deposit.

Was a bit sceptical the first time, so counted it all at home first.... the machine is accurate to the cent.

Anyone ever successfully changed foreign coins into AUD?
In the past i would of taken them to one of those foreign exchange places in shopping mall like places.

It's nice to keep a couple of foreign coins IMO for good time memories.

Last edited:
i just leave mine in the car for parking / maccas / coffee / donations / beggers, etcetc. when i run out of money and couldnt find an atm its always useful. also great for the pizza delivery man as they never have any change for you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back