Environment Where to catch common yabbies?

Remove this Banner Ad

In WA yabbies can be found in most river systems- these are introduced from the Eastern states and are different from the other species found in WA like Marron, Gilgies, Koonacs. As they are introduced I don't believe it is illegal to take females with eggs...

I grew up catching yabbies, and although they are delicious boiled and then served with vinegar or thousand island, I've always held a higher regard for keeping them as pets in an aquarium. They are very entertaining to watch as they march around the tank picking fights with each other over the elusive space inside a piece of pipe that is only wide enough for one yabby, because it was the only pipe in your dad's shed you could find and blunted his saw cutting it to size....

Yabbies rock.

Oh, by the way- a Yabbie that has just recently shed it's old carapace is akin to a naked Zoidberg from Futurama.

If you've got pine plantations near where you live, there's likely to be little dams in them that the CFA use for fires. For some reason there's always heaps of yabbies in those dams.

water in vic is still a bit cold rite now , they have dug down until it warms up . Opera house nets for dams or cray pots are the best ( cray pots if your in a tinny or something ) for big hauls . Myself i like dropping a few opera house's in another dam or lake and then setting a dozen or so hand lines in . Nothing better than having more than one tight line going at once , great fun . Use chicken liver myself mostly but have heard velvet soap works really good as well . Yabs love anything rotten so the stinkier the better , they want it out of the water they are in . Good luck . Over summer Lake Lonsdale will provide more than anyone could eat but ssshhh

Can I ask how you are trying to catch the Yabbie, i.e. what are using to catch it?

opera house net or just tie a piece of meat to a string , tie the string to a stick , put the stick in the mud throw the string in and wait for it to go tight , easy as

didn't even know yabbies can come from the size or can be eaten, in QLD they're these little clear and orange things we throw on a hook and catch fish with

I admit I was going to say yabbie pump + estuary at low tide. :p

I knew there were other yabbies but always thought common yabbies were bait ;)

Mates down around Naracorte doing alright atm.

1185177_10201266493996926_449184968_n.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Going next week to hopefully catch some. Anyone know a good spot within an hour - 90 mins of Melb? Otherwise might have to go up to Echuca.

good luck mate , going to go myself on tuesday , gunna be bloody hot tho

Apparently you used to be able to catch yabbies at the bottom of Flagstaff Gardens in the Melbourne CBD down by the corner of William & La Trobe St -

Used to be a pond/lake down there, an old mate in his 80s said he could catch them there when he was a kid...

That looks like Marron to me

That's the first thing I said as well.

He reckons they're yabbies. They aren't all that big. Would be nice if someone that knew 100% could tell from that pick. I did a bit of looking on the net trying to prove him wrong and after looking at a few sites I thought he might be right.

Anyone know of any good spots in SE Victoria? I'm in Berwick. Dying to get some.

my pa used to own a farm and we would spend school holidays up there. We would spend a couple of hours fishing for yabbies in his dams. Just used string from hay bales, tie a stone as a sinker and use little bits of bacon rind as the bait. Once the string goes tight you have a yabbie. Pull it in and bobs ya uncle. With about 4 or 5 strings we would catch about 30-40 in a couple of hours.

Same as someone said earlier, we would leave them in clean water for a bit to clean them up a little then boil and serve with vinegar and salt and pepper. Delicious. That was a good 15-20 years ago now id say. Geez time flies. That means i havnt had them in that long, now im craving them lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back