Analysis Where we sit in the next 5 years

Remove this Banner Ad

(a) it'll happen
(b) I'm vego

I predicted it for this season and I was admittedly off the mark a bit - but I think it will just take some light tinkering in the off season and you're right on the mark. The forward line still has a few decent years on it and the only remotely concerning retirement coming up is Scotty T - the midfield is chugging along nicely and the backline is beginning to show some fantastic cohesion. Watching Jake Lever play some fantastic footy is great as well - I followed him during the draft period closely and knew Adelaide had a steal when they picked him up. Worth his weight in gold.

The difference in depth between 14 and 15 is enormous as well and I reckon it'll only improve come next season. Could be wrong, but I do see a shoot up the ladder a la WCE this season.

Cleric Where are you now????..............

As I recall I said this....
Ironically, WC listed in the OP as being a club miles ahead of us has played to a draw against GC whom we beat last week. Same club was in the cellar last year and looked embarrasing at times. Short memory people in here. Perhaps the comp is a lot more even than we give it credit for. Perhaps people weight the last game too heavily and don't look at the year as a whole.
Then you said......
If you dont think West Coast are well ahead of us, even with all their long term injuries then I dont know what to say.
Then I said.......
Thank you post hoc professor. Can you find your quotes where you said this about west coast last year. I'll give you ahead. I'll cut you off at well ahead. Just ahead. We've had injuries too. Arguably in more important areas than defense, our midfield has been annihilated by injury all year.
Then you said.........
Reading your post made me think of that youtube video G.O.A.T. and your M.U.M.

I don't know what that last part means, but I put it into google translate and it said "yes Carmo, you know tonnes more about footy than me, I'll stop going around acting like I know everything from now on"

That would be a good idea Cleric.

Western Bulldogs are a better example of having a recruitment policy that matches reality.

We won't be near anything next year, and probably not the year after. Too many of the wrong types of players, not enough talent in general, and it's going to take two recruiting periods to get the list balanced, provided the recruitment stuff don't **** up yet again and spend everything getting even more inside mids and key defenders.
Any comment update ....or are we still going no-where ?

Spot on. And yet the vast majority of the people responsible for those decisions are still in place.

I suspect Walsh's strength of character would have had those people striving for something greater than mediocrity. His death however will allow them to settle back in to old habits.

Would need an exceptional coach to change it in the future.
Mmmm things come back to bite us

We have too many slow, inside types (Thompson, Sloane, CEY, M.Crouch, Lyons, Grigg, Kerridge) and not enough more outside pacey types.

Probably because its tougher to find quality outside types who dont get snagged in the top 10-15 picks, those who are left after that are usually speculative or not up to it with their skills.

It's not an unfixable situation due to the young age of our list but we need to remedy it quickly.

If we have learnt anything this season its that we are not up to scratch against the best sides, we can beat most of the bottom 10 but struggle with the rest. That can be fixed with experience and better balancing our pace/inside grunt ratios but hard calls need to be made to give us the picks we need to get the players we need.
Bad call

We will still be a middle of the road club still in 5 years. A club just playing it safe. Won't win a premiership and won't bottom. Safe list management, safe trading, safe selection policies.
Mike you're a renowned pessimist .......but do you actually EVER get it right???

Mmmm things come back to bite us

Couldn't be happier to look like an idiot on that one!!

Still time will tell if we eventually do drop back, but the playing group under Campo are certainly one driven group.

The good thing is that we don't have Mr Mediocre (Trigg) running the show anymore so hopefully that doesn't become a problem again.

Cleric Where are you now????..............

As I recall I said this....

Then you said......

Then I said.......

Then you said.........

I don't know what that last part means, but I put it into google translate and it said "yes Carmo, you know tonnes more about footy than me, I'll stop going around acting like I know everything from now on"

That would be a good idea Cleric.
Eh? We won a game of football at home.
You do realise this is about where we will be in 5 years yeah? You do know we will most likely lose our best player at the end of the year yeah?
If you think one game = a season or how we will go in the next five years against up and coming sides like WB, GWS and yes, West Coast then you know nothing about football.
You havent won jack s**t.
Will you still be talking s**t if we lose to Geelong next week? I mean, we judge everything on our last game and all.
SMH

Eh? We won a game of football at home.
You do realise this is about where we will be in 5 years yeah? You do know we will most likely lose our best player at the end of the year yeah?
If you think one game = a season or how we will go in the next five years against up and coming sides like WB, GWS and yes, West Coast then you know nothing about football.
You havent won jack s**t.
Will you still be talking s**t if we lose to Geelong next week? I mean, we judge everything on our last game and all.
SMH

Hmm, seems you're changing the goalposts a bit here. Firstly westcoast was miles better than us (in all circumstances one assumes), now theyre better than us in 5 years. I'm not talking s**t. I couldn't rule out us losing to geelong next week, though I'll go on record and say it is unlikely, with perhaps the only rider being if it is a wet and windy conditions day, their home ground advantage in those conditions might help enough. I'd say we're better placed than Geelong over the next 5 years. I'd say we're as well placed or better than WC, I havent seen much of WB or GWS to be honest, but at a guess I'd say were as well placed if not better placed than WB. Previously I've said they don't have a finals suited gameplan and that will be their undoing (though admittedly port didnt really have one last year either and look how far they got - there's was better than WB tho). Good comeback about the last game, learning from your more learn-ed advisors. Well, with all this 5 year stuff we will just have to wait and see.......

Hmm, seems you're changing the goalposts a bit here. Firstly westcoast was miles better than us (in all circumstances one assumes), now theyre better than us in 5 years. I'm not talking s**t. I couldn't rule out us losing to geelong next week, though I'll go on record and say it is unlikely, with perhaps the only rider being if it is a wet and windy conditions day, their home ground advantage in those conditions might help enough. I'd say we're better placed than Geelong over the next 5 years. I'd say we're as well placed or better than WC, I havent seen much of WB or GWS to be honest, but at a guess I'd say were as well placed if not better placed than WB. Previously I've said they don't have a finals suited gameplan and that will be their undoing (though admittedly port didnt really have one last year either and look how far they got - there's was better than WB tho). Good comeback about the last game, learning from your more learn-ed advisors. Well, with all this 5 year stuff we will just have to wait and see.......
Who do you think has had a better season? West Coast or us? Who has been flag favourites this year at some points? Us or West Coast? Not only that but West Coast did it with half their best 22 injured. They have just started their rise now and when they have everyone in board fit and firing they are going to be scarey.
And in the next 5 years teams like Western Bulldogs and GWS who smashed us this year are going to be even better than they are now.
Do you honestly think we have as much talent as GWS or WB? A few weeks ago GWS had around 10 first round draft picks playing in their seconds side and beat Sydneys second side by something like 30 goals to 2.
Thats what I am talking about. These teams who have had crazy high draft picks when we have had none. How do we catch them?
You can get all pissy that you dont like that, but dont think that beating West Coast at home means suddenly we are better than them. Last year they beat us home and away. They beat us earlier this year after Phil died so theres nothing to take from that game.

Thats our problem going forward. Loss of draft picks, no compensation for Tippett, and not bottoming out have hurt us no end. We are actually lucky to have the talent we do.
As everyone has said, to lose Dangerfield for half what he is worth will set us back even further. The club cannot allow it. If they do the supporter base should finally stand up and say enough is enough.

We aren't lucky, we have drafted well (since 2007). Its just a shame that there are 5 fewer picks than there should have been.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go for the flag next year before WB and GWS become too strong?

There is no guarantee they'll become a threat for the Premiership.

Teams will work the Bulldogs out next year and they'll drop to around where Port are, due to the similar styles both play and GWS, much like Gold Coast are an enigma in regards to how they go.

Who do you think has had a better season? West Coast or us? Who has been flag favourites this year at some points? Us or West Coast?

There you go changing the goal posts. You are posting here about the PAST season. But the thread is about the next 5 years into the future.

We just smashed the "flag favorites". If that doesn't bode well for the future I don't know what does.

Your post here belongs in the "Who has the best chance to win the flag?" thread.

Who do you think has had a better season? West Coast or us? Who has been flag favourites this year at some points? Us or West Coast? Not only that but West Coast did it with half their best 22 injured. They have just started their rise now and when they have everyone in board fit and firing they are going to be scarey.
And in the next 5 years teams like Western Bulldogs and GWS who smashed us this year are going to be even better than they are now.
Do you honestly think we have as much talent as GWS or WB? A few weeks ago GWS had around 10 first round draft picks playing in their seconds side and beat Sydneys second side by something like 30 goals to 2.
Thats what I am talking about. These teams who have had crazy high draft picks when we have had none. How do we catch them?
You can get all pissy that you dont like that, but dont think that beating West Coast at home means suddenly we are better than them. Last year they beat us home and away. They beat us earlier this year after Phil died so theres nothing to take from that game.
What have West Coast, Bulldogs and GWS won? Same as us by the looks of it. Why are they better placed than us? That's entirely a guess.

What a terrible point of view. Why bother watching if you think we're no hope?

What have West Coast, Bulldogs and GWS won? Same as us by the looks of it. Why are they better placed than us? That's entirely a guess.

What a terrible point of view. Why bother watching if you think we're no hope?
So lets not talk about anything unless its all positive and we are all in agreement that we are in a premiership window for the next two decades.
So you would only watch your team if you thought they were a chance for the flag? Cool, gotcha.
Its not about what they "have" won, its about their talent peaking in the next 5 years.
Its about what they "could" win. And its about where we sit in comparison, list wise.

So lets not talk about anything unless its all positive and we are all in agreement that we are in a premiership window for the next two decades.
So you would only watch your team if you thought they were a chance for the flag? Cool, gotcha.
Its not about what they "have" won, its about their talent peaking in the next 5 years.
Its about what they "could" win. And its about where we sit in comparison, list wise.
Your thread asked what people think of the Crows prospects over the next 5 years.

Now you are throwing your skirt up when people disagree with you.

In addition you don't make any valid points about the future. Your argument is based on the past and not events unfolding and the implications for the future.

In addition, your posting record when you crystal ball gaze is less than impressive. So it should be no surprise when others completely disagree.

Your thread asked what people think of the Crows prospects over the next 5 years.

Now you are throwing your skirt up when people disagree with you.

In addition you don't make any valid points about the future. Your argument is based on the past and not events unfolding and the implications for the future.

In addition, your posting record when you crystal ball gaze is less than impressive. So it should be no surprise when others completely disagree.
Talk about reading only what you want to.
You may of missed the bit I was replying to. This reply had nothing to do with where we would be in 5 years.
"What a terrible point of view. Why bother watching if you think we're no hope?"
So unless you have something to add to the topic....

But you've basically said we're not going to be better than any of those clubs. It's fine to say "we will be up against it", but what fan thinks their team will be s**t in 5 years time? Just a strange attitude. A weak one. Belongs with the old crows, not this one that has tried hard to win our respect back.

But you've basically said we're not going to be better than any of those clubs. It's fine to say "we will be up against it", but what fan thinks their team will be s**t in 5 years time? Just a strange attitude. A weak one. Belongs with the old crows, not this one that has tried hard to win our respect back.
Dont ever put your opinion on the line eh? Only the most blind supporters would think our list talent is even close to the GWS or WBs or GCS.
We were locked out of the draft for two years, will most likely lose our best player for less than value. Earlier this year people like you were saying our team lacked speed, another forward option because JJ stunk, and we lacked a second KPD. Now all of a sudden we are a premiership list.
BF posters are pretty fickle.

Dont ever put your opinion on the line eh? Only the most blind supporters would think our list talent is even close to the GWS or WBs or GCS.
We were locked out of the draft for two years, will most likely lose our best player for less than value. Earlier this year people like you were saying our team lacked speed, another forward option because JJ stunk, and we lacked a second KPD. Now all of a sudden we are a premiership list.
BF posters are pretty fickle.
Are we not talking about 5 years time?

What was happening five years ago? Collingwood won a premiership. St Kilda was an ageing list. We were on decline after a solid decade of finals. Port were battling at the bottom of the ladder. Hawthorn was under achieving.

Fast forward a little and here we are in a strange new world. But you think in another 5 years we'll be in the same spot? Could be, but what fan thinks like that?

Are we not talking about 5 years time?

What was happening five years ago? Collingwood won a premiership. St Kilda was an ageing list. We were on decline after a solid decade of finals. Port were battling at the bottom of the ladder. Hawthorn was under achieving.

Fast forward a little and here we are in a strange new world. But you think in another 5 years we'll be in the same spot? Could be, but what fan thinks like that?
I guess the Carlton supporters are all correct in thinking they are a shot at the finals next year, because the Bulldogs did it this year?
Reality is reality. No other teams ever in the AFL have been able to get the level of talent as a start up as GWS and GCS werw able. When we came into the AFL we got to pick from SA only.

I guess the Carlton supporters are all correct in thinking they are a shot at the finals next year, because the Bulldogs did it this year?
Reality is reality. No other teams ever in the AFL have been able to get the level of talent as a start up as GWS and GCS werw able. When we came into the AFL we got to pick from SA only.
What does any of this have to do with our chances in 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Back