• 13-14

Votes: 22 7.5%
  • 15-16

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • 17-18

Votes: 13 4.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I read with interest Adam Simpson's views about the season ahead.

And this bit stood out:
It's all well and good to say that. Simpson is just dodging the question so it doesn't get thrown in his face nine months down the track.

But I hope he's under no illusions. Failure to play finals would surely have repercussions. With the age profile of our list, if we're not playing finals then it's back to the drawing board via the draft.
I'm sure he's not under any illusions - he later goes on to say he recognises there is pressure on the club to perform and that he likes it that way.

I think we'll do what we've done the last two seasons - flat track bully the weaker teams, lose to the good teams and be 50/50 against mid-table sides, but this time around i think we'll be lucky enough to scrape into the finals. Can't see us going dramatically backwards either, too many quality players still around...although a year at the bottom will probably be more beneficial in the long term than another year in the 8th-13th range.

I think we'll do what we've done the last two seasons - flat track bully the weaker teams, lose to the good teams and be 50/50 against mid-table sides, but this time around i think we'll be lucky enough to scrape into the finals. Can't see us going dramatically backwards either, too many quality players still around...although a year at the bottom will probably be more beneficial in the long term than another year in the 8th-13th range.
We had our chance of a few years back at the bottom of the ladder... until Worsfold in his infinite wisdom decided winning a few year end games meant more than picking up another 1st rounder for winning under 5 games for the year.

Not like Hawthorn, St Kilda and Collingwood had any success from those priority picks... oh wait.:rolleyes:
Point me to all the priority picks that pushed Geelong, Fremantle and Sydney to their success

And priority picks did wonders for Melbourne and Carlton

Winning those late games in 2009 didn't screw us. Poor drafting decisions and development over a sustained period did

Based on our trading and current club Philosophy then missing the finals would be a huge failure.
My personal view is we will have many good days and play some good footy during the year, ultimately the same midfield problem which has not been addressed in 3 years will still exist and we will finish between 9-13.
Going to be a tough year i reckon for all clubs but there is still some stand out locks for the 8. Hawks, Swans, Port and Freo are dead set locks for the 8 which leaves only 4 spots.
Very competitive it will be to fill one of those spots.

Looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Richmond should be in the 8
. Geelong. North . Essondon. Goldcoast will be the teams we will be in the mix with . Carlton bulldogs st kilda GWS melbourne I cant see being ahead of us

Would add i think the Lions wont get as far up the ladder as people suggest.

I think we will be above the Pies too.

Only teams worse than us are...St Kilda, Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne and maybe Essendon if they get sanctioned hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We'll bumble around somewhere just in, or just out of the eight - losing many close games as a result of short duration lapses at key points of games because we still have no class in the midfield and cant kick clutch goals under pressure.

You've written off both Sheed and Duggan after seeing them play once or twice, and you're criticizing me for judging Griffen on a year's form? :rolleyes:

He's a good player, but he's not going to be the difference between the Giants finishing 12th and them finishing 16th

I would like to be more optimistic, but I see McKenzie out as being huge for us. Our best player in my OP.
Brown has always struggled with decision making and Schofield is the pretty boy TV host who is way too laconic for me. Barass is developing but way too early for him to step up.
A lot depends on how McGovern shapes up as that man to take on those power forwards.
If McGovern can start to stamp himself on games then things might look up, I certainly hope so.
I think our midfield can improve, it needs to. From what I've seen Sheed looks ready to step up this year, Selwood back is a positive (hopefully he can gain some confidence soon), Gaff should be better, Yeo back and rotating through there adds something as well, we also be some young players played through there during the year as well.
The forward line looks very strong other than lacking a lightning quick small forward.
Rucks are very good, Lycette looks like he could be anything.
It's really just those games where the oppositions midfield gets on top that we really struggle with and poor skills execution under pressure.
Very few more injuries 6th - 9th
Lots of injuries 9th - 13th

A return to finals football would be a great finish to the year, getting our young team experiencing that pressure and intensity.

On a side note I think Freo will be the big sliders this year and that we will win the 1st Derby.

Only teams worse than us are...St Kilda, Bulldogs, Carlton, Melbourne and maybe Essendon if they get sanctioned hard.
127367.jpg

You've written off both Sheed and Duggan after seeing them play once or twice, and you're criticizing me for judging Griffen on a year's form? :rolleyes:

He's a good player, but he's not going to be the difference between the Giants finishing 12th and them finishing 16th
So you would take Sheed over Griffen ? I would bet you your left nut that if Mister Griffin had walked into our side this year and Sheed didn't get a game we would be easily playing finals. Griffin in our side would make a hell of a difference and I'm shocked even you would intimate that. Now Duggan is not the Messiah for this year nor the next...he could be anything but its unknown. Sheed we saw last year and I will quit BF if proven wrong on this - he will only be serviceable and nothing more, think of a Koby Stevens type who plays a role but will never break out. I was right about him and right about Ebert.

Back