Analysis Where's our side at? Are we not playing to our potential?

Remove this Banner Ad

[Perhaps all this discussion should be put in its own thread given it is worthwhile (and no longer related to the Media).]

On how we are going as a team my question would be the one that has been thrown up a number of times but never really answered in any depth:

• Why have the Bulldogs been able to be incredibly competitive/successful so quickly with just as young/inexperienced list when compared to the Lions?
I probably know some of the factors contributing to the difference, but that still leaves a hell of a lot that is unexplained.
A part of the explanation might be that their young players are collectively better than ours - Bontempelli, McCrae, Stringer, Wallis, Johannisen, Hunter - and that their leaders are better at leading. We are young but at the moment it is difficult to judge how good we are, even with time and development.

A part of the explanation might be that their young players are collectively better than ours - Bontempelli, McCrae, Stringer, Wallis, Johannisen, Hunter - and that their leaders are better at leading. We are young but at the moment it is difficult to judge how good we are, even with time and development.

Yes but we have Beams, Hanley, Rockliff, Martin, Redden, Rich, Bundy, Christensen and Robinson in our midfield.

[Perhaps all this discussion should be put in its own thread given it is worthwhile (and no longer related to the Media).]
Good idea! Apologies for the clunky thread title.

On how we are going as a team my question would be the one that has been thrown up a number of times but never really answered in any depth:

• Why have the Bulldogs been able to be incredibly competitive/successful so quickly with just as young/inexperienced list when compared to the Lions?
I probably know some of the factors contributing to the difference, but that still leaves a hell of a lot that is unexplained.
The Dogs nailed 3 drafts and brought in 5 really high end players that have made a dramatic impact to their list:

2010 - Mitch Wallis and Tom Liberatore - both easily top 10 picks for their 1st and 2d round (obviously Tom has been injured this year though)
2012 - Stringer and McRae for picks 5 and 6
2013 - The Bont

That's 5 elite players from the first round who have clearly developed into legit A graders. All were (or should've been) top 10 picks.

How many of those types do we have on the list?

TBH we're extremely lucky we hit gold with Rocky, Hanley and Stef Martin who aside from Beams (who we payed a very high price for) are our only legitimate A graders.

I'm confident 2013 will be looked back as the first draft we nailed and 2015 can be number 2. In a simple analysis (not taking into account the mature players at the dogs or lions) that puts us 3 years behind the doggies and that sounds about right to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Our mids attack very well.... just that they just can't seem to defend that well. I wonder why that is

I have absolutely no idea how well our mids attack or defend as a group simply because we haven't had anything like our best midfield on the park at any stage during this entire season of woe.

To me, your statement is totally hypothetical.

Regardless of opinion on our actual position, IMO there has been an obvious push to temper the expectations of fans and football public when it comes to our team.

I would like to believe it is just honest, general assessment - however, I think it more has to do with making sure the blow torch doesen't come onto leppa and others next year.

I think they have had a meeting and leppa has told the board it is my honest belief that we will struggle to win a handful if games next year again and the consensus was/ is they wanted to keep him, for good reason, however it would become harder and harder to justify as next year goes on - so a decision was made to make sure anyone is in front of a microphone to say "long term" "no quick fix" "long haul" "patients"..

It's gone from young, exciting, great game style, boom recruits to "total re-build" "younger again" - this isn't a point I want to harp on, it's not a conspiracy theory - it is a sign that we don't think we can suddenly improve anymore - which is fine, it's the most educated and thoughtful assessment available fir our team - I just hope, as others have raised, this doesent resonate too strongly with the playing group, because if confidence isn't found in the next 12 round of next year, and the playing group slip into "we are lambs to the slaughter" mode - leppa will be gone.

We have some class around the club and we have seen glimpses every now and then. It'll get better with experience and forward targets I'm certain.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if the likes of Cutler, McStay and Taylor hit the ground running and show some class early next year. Who knows maybe some real unknowns will pop up for us? A bit of luck with injuries, and with a solid preseason anything can happen.

One thing I'd say is at the start of the year we all thought the group of 8 below (over 1/3 of our team) was the equivalent of any midfield in the league... Rocky, Hanley, Beams, Rich, Redden, Christensen, Zorko, Martin.

On average they've played 17 games each which is probably comparable to most teams for their 'top 8' mids. We've averaged having 6.5 of them available each game (although only 1 game have all been available).

even without a forward line our midfield should have been good enough to make us more competitive. for longer periods of the game.

I think we've underperformed. We've lost Gold Coast twice - despite all their injuries, lost to Melbourne just when we appeared to be finding some form and lost to consensus 'won't win a game' St Kilda. Even if we'd won those 4 games we'd have 8 wins and be up about 12th or something.

we all like to have a laugh about how Buckley has taken the Pies backward year on year since taking over there... our results are no better.

having said that we've underperformed. That means that next year if we 'perform' then 8-10 wins should be gettable, especially with a 'bottom 6' draw that should be realtively easy.

Money and it starts from the Admin.

As illustrated last night, Swan has limited idea about the Brisbane market and does not understand that he needs to go to corporates compared to corporates coming to him (like the Melbourne AFL environment).

Source: DW

The personnel leaving the Lions are leaving because they know how much of a cluster-fcuk the club is. It should not be this way but it is.

Money and it starts from the Admin.

As illustrated last night, Swan has limited idea about the Brisbane market and does not understand that he needs to go to corporates compared to corporates coming to him (like the Melbourne AFL environment).

Source: DW

The personnel leaving the Lions are leaving because they know how much of a cluster-fcuk the club is. It should not be this way but it is.

What a strange post.

Hah. The personnel "leaving" the club simply haven't delivered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aww I like you. I have info that I was happy to share but you become a typical internet dickwad.

Everyone thinks they know something, whether they do or not is a completely different story. Take it to the scandals and rumours board.

Nothing more annoying when posters from other struggling clubs come on here and tell us what we're doing wrong. Unless you look at the ladder upside down, your club isn't doing that well either.

Everyone thinks they know something, whether they do or not is a completely different story. Take it to the scandals and rumours board.

Nothing more annoying when posters from other struggling clubs come on here and tell us what we're doing wrong. Unless you look at the ladder upside down, your club isn't doing that well either.

This just in... recently sacked staff have negative opinion of people who sacked them. Here's Tom with the weather.

What a strange post.

Agreed... fairly aggressive and I don't know if he / she has hit the nail on the head. Yes approaching works in melbourne but not brisbane as much, unless we get a national brand of course, but, we dont play Friday nights so it is just not there yet.

The Lions are undergoing change on pretty much all levels so we juat have to trust that the changes are the right ones.

Nothing more annoying when posters from other struggling clubs come on here and tell us what we're doing wrong.

Posters from successful clubs are more annoying.

Last edited:
This is unequivocally not the case. Performance issues are why these personnel are leaving. Despite the 'resigning to pursue other opportunities' line that is ubiquitously run out, these staff members have been sacked.

Hah. The personnel "leaving" the club simply haven't delivered.
DOn't know if we can make that statement. Sounds like a gross generalisation made without reference to their respective KPIs.

What I think we can say is that:

"The personnel leaving the club, are leaving in circumstances where the club is of the view that a change in those positions is necessary to improve and progress our performance from 2016 and beyond".

DOn't know if we can make that statement. Sounds like a gross generalisation made without reference to their respective KPIs.

What I think we can say is that:

"The personnel leaving the club, are leaving in circumstances where the club is of the view that a change in those positions is necessary to improve and progress our performance from 2016 and beyond".
That's beautiful.

Impossible to play to your potential when… [as of end of round 22 - 2015]
  • You have to use 40 players in a season
  • Only 10 players – less than half of your on the field team - play 90% or more of the season
  • These 10 players have an average age at round 1 of only 23 .5 years of age
  • These 10 players also only averaged 67 games in experience as of round 1
  • 9 of these 10 have played 101 games or LESS at the start of this season
  • 2 of the 10 have never played with the club before and
  • 90% of the 40 players used, only play between 85.7 and 4.8% of the season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back