Which club do you hate the most?

Which of these clubs do you hate the most?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I have some long and deep-seated resentments that probably require the help of a shrink...

1963- Geelong kill us in GF with Bobby Davis crowing that Hawthorn was just a bunch of talentless thugs (we had some good ones though- Delicate Des Dickson, John Peck et al!). John Kennedy refused to attend WOS because of this. I continue the Geelong hatred. 2008 was great.
1964- Melbourne tipped us out of the 4 with a flukey goal by Hassa Mann My hatred has only been tempered by the fact that Melbourne has been a basket case ever since.
1970s- North and Barrassi- unbearably smug pricks.
1970s/80s- Carlton just bought premierships by purchasing the SA and/or WA state side every few years. Pathetic now that they have to develop draft talent.
1980s- Essendon, Sheedy and the whole drug thing- so ironic
Now, the Swans are in my sights- Cola, Buddy, Tippett etc and the AFL making the rules to suit them.

I have some long and deep-seated resentments that probably require the help of a shrink...

1963- Geelong kill us in GF with Bobby Davis crowing that Hawthorn was just a bunch of talentless thugs (we had some good ones though- Delicate Des Dickson, John Peck et al!). John Kennedy refused to attend WOS because of this. I continue the Geelong hatred. 2008 was great.
1964- Melbourne tipped us out of the 4 with a flukey goal by Hassa Mann My hatred has only been tempered by the fact that Melbourne has been a basket case ever since.
1970s- North and Barrassi- unbearably smug pricks.
1970s/80s- Carlton just bought premierships by purchasing the SA and/or WA state side every few years. Pathetic now that they have to develop draft talent.
1980s- Essendon, Sheedy and the whole drug thing- so ironic
Now, the Swans are in my sights- Cola, Buddy, Tippett etc and the AFL making the rules to suit them.

Love your post, we must be around the same age!

I didn't know about John Kennedy refusing to go on World of Sport, but I remember Davis shooting off his mouth with anti-Hawthorn stuff. He continued to do it for years afterwards.
Davis believed his own publicity that he was a great coach, when in 1963 Geelong went out and bought 2 of the best WA players - what they did changed footy altogether, because it led other clubs to do the same.

For the record, Bob Davis was a dimwit.

My abiding memory of Bob Davis was him lingering on the podium after presenting his beloved Cats with the cup in 2009.

I remember thinking "Get the **** off the dais you silly old git! This is the players' and coach's moment!"

Out of that lot it would be Essendon but overall it would be West Coast by a mile.

When I lived in Perth I hated them too, but living away from Perth has put it all in perspective. The reality is that the Eagles don't have a culture to hate, they just have fans. Nothing makes West Coast Perthlings pissed off more than when you tell them that their club has no real culture and is just the original AFL franchise. The club runs like a corporation, and the players are more like celebrities. What makes it worse is that the club was birthed the period of time where what defined a Western Australian was the rejection of being constantly overlooked by eastern staters. So the little culture they have is based on the irrelevant 'let's prove how awesome WA is' spirit. When you look on the other boards and see anything decrying any old tradition and football cultural thing, it will be West Coast fans at the forefront (check the night grand final thread on main board). If the West Coast didn't have the luxury of being the foundation club in a state of footy fans, the AFL would have merged them with Footscray

When I lived in Perth I hated them too, but living away from Perth has put it all in perspective. The reality is that the Eagles don't have a culture to hate, they just have fans. Nothing makes West Coast Perthlings pissed off more than when you tell them that their club has no real culture and is just the original AFL franchise. The club runs like a corporation, and the players are more like celebrities. What makes it worse is that the club was birthed the period of time where what defined a Western Australian was the rejection of being constantly overlooked by eastern staters. So the little culture they have is based on the irrelevant 'let's prove how awesome WA is' spirit. When you look on the other boards and see anything decrying any old tradition and football cultural thing, it will be West Coast fans at the forefront (check the night grand final thread on main board). If the West Coast didn't have the luxury of being the foundation club in a state of footy fans, the AFL would have merged them with Footscray
Yeah it's not the team its the fans. On the other hand I really like the dockers (maybe because they have nothing to be cocky about) and I actually like to see the dockers do well.

Yeah it's not the team its the fans. On the other hand I really like the dockers (maybe because they have nothing to be cocky about) and I actually like to see the dockers do well.

I like the Dockers, they have a tiny little touch of something called class. They had more before Lyon came across, but there is a real cultural heritage, and the fact they actually had to build success instead of just getting a state of origin team with massive corporate sponsorship, it created something more than just a machine. I would have unashamedly been on their bandwagon in 2013 if the Hawks were not involved. On top of that, everytime I see them play, I remember the time we beat them in the Grand Final. So much happy.

Dermott's body was shot to s**t by that time, so for him to survive Sydney and Collingwood was a credit to him.

Agree. I did not give a rats that Dermie went to Sydney and then the Pies. He was shot. The only person in the football world who thought he had anything left was Dermie.

My abiding memory of Bob Davis was him lingering on the podium after presenting his beloved Cats with the cup in 2009.

I remember thinking "Get the **** off the dais you silly old git! This is the players' and coach's moment!"

Davis was always a c unt. He loved the limelight. As antihawthorn as they came.

KOLOKOTRONIS

The Swans are something of an irrelevance. The wrongs from the injustice of 2012 have now been squared, I suspect the angst and hate will subside as the list management implosion comes into effect...

For what ever reason I just can't hate Geelong. A good Geelong has always been a fantastic omen for a Hawthorn premiership - we've knocked off Geelong in the finals in each of our last 5 flags. Had we played them in 2012 we probably would have rolled the Swans in the final (undeserved extra day break 'n all). I suspect this hate is one way, most Geelong fans are jaded that we have now equalled their greater era (with a 3-1 record against them in finals)

As for Essendon? Even when they are a basket case you can't help but hate that mob. I just take solace that Hird's hate and envy towards Hawthorn drove him to develop the largest systematic dipping program in world sport. Essendon's darkest period has also coincided with back 2 back Hawthorn flags which is extra special :)
After the 2008 GF I certainly harboured bitter resentment towards Hawthorn. I harboured the same resentment right through until the final siren of the 2014 GF. Dropping the '13 prelim and winning the flag gave me the shits to no end! But after the 63 point drubbing of the Swans, I knew that it was time to let go. As far as I'm concerned, the respect goes both ways. Two fantastic sides in Geelong and Hawthorn have put on some of the most unbelievable displays of our great game in recent memories. I'll admit it though, if you guys three-peat, I may then become just a little jaded...;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who will everyone here barrack for in round 1?

Sydney Swans or the Essendon Top-Ups?

Top-ups for me. They're not really Essendon and if they could beat Sydney it would just be hilarious.

After the 2008 GF I certainly harboured bitter resentment towards Hawthorn. I harboured the same resentment right through until the final siren of the 2014 GF. Dropping the '13 prelim and winning the flag gave me the shits to no end! But after the 63 point drubbing of the Swans, I knew that it was time to let go. As far as I'm concerned, the respect goes both ways. Two fantastic sides in Geelong and Hawthorn have put on some of the most unbelievable displays of our great game in recent memories. I'll admit it though, if you guys three-peat, I may then become just a little jaded...;)

Personally I don't know how you do it. I admire your courage. Personally I would have pulled the pin had my club copped it when it mattered most. This has been going on since Round 22 1987 when your mob needed a win to make finals.

I admire you and I'm not being a smart ass. I was close to shooting myself at 3 quarter time of the PF in 2013. The fact that your mob would beat us every time when both clubs were up there stung.

If we do three peat though, give up. ;) joking

KOLOKOTRONIS

Definitely Sydney.

I don't like Geelong, their coach and a number of their current players. Strangely I like them less now then when they used to beat us because I had a lot of time for Ablett, Ling, Harley, even Bomber Thompson. The current bunch are just plainly lacking in humility when they get beaten, led by their captain, coach and Bartel. But as a club I respect that they earned their success and I respect our rivalry with them.

Collingwood and Carlton have supporters that make them truly hateable. But their lack of competitiveness on field makes it hard to really care at the moment. Essendon to a lesser extent, though the outrageous arrogance and the disgraceful manner in which they have behaved in the last few years (led by their egomaniac narcissist of a coach) keeps them high up on the list.

But it is clearly Sydney. I don't respect them. They have only done well out of hand outs and then cry bloody murder when those hand outs are taken away. Whereas Hawthorn has earned and deserved everything we have achieved, Sydney have been constantly propped up by the corrupt organization that runs the sport. Smashing them in last years GF will never be topped.

Top-ups for me. They're not really Essendon and if they could beat Sydney it would just be hilarious.
Never, ever, barrack for Essendon.

North should be on the list instead of Collingwood.
Interesting to note that the five clubs most Hawks hate most are Essendon, Carlton, Sydney, Geelong and North - the only five clubs to have beaten us in a Grand Final.
That is what creates rivalries.

Yes, got agree with this. After living through their 'collywobble' period, what's there to hate. LOL
Their fans though, that's another story. Back in the 70s, worked a couple of times as an attendant in the members stand at Victoria Park for pocket money. Got spat at and abused, unbelievable, their fans were just so feral.
I haven't found this to be the case now though, and I do enjoy having a chat with magpie supporters.

Never really hated North, but they should be on the list.
While I really disliked losing the G F in 1975, at least it was to North winning their 1st. The absolute joy of their fans was truly wonderful to behold, and I won't begrudge them that. It must have been similar to the Hawks fans in 1961.
Anyway we got our revenge in 1976 and 1978.

Essendon's VFL team. Would be embarrassing if Sydney lose that one.

Personally I don't know how you do it. I admire your courage. Personally I would have pulled the pin had my club copped it when it mattered most. This has been going on since Round 22 1987 when your mob needed a win to make finals.

I admire you and I'm not being a smart ass. I was close to shooting myself at 3 quarter time of the PF in 2013. The fact that your mob would beat us every time when both clubs were up there stung.

If we do three peat though, give up. ;) joking

KOLOKOTRONIS
I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean in the first paragraph. Personally I don't know how you do it. Do what, exactly? Respect Hawthorn because of their success, despite Geelong having lost a couple of GFs to them? Personally I would have pulled the pin had my club copped it when it mattered most. Again, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. I started watching football in 1989, I saw the Cats lose four Grand Finals in seven years. It sucked, sure... but it's not like was going to barrack for another club!

Since 1983, Hawthorn has won eight combined VFL/AFL premierships. They've also lost four, so how did you cope with that? While your question was perhaps tongue-in-cheek, with a dollop of condescension plonked on top, I will always answer straight up by saying that I love my club, will ALWAYS support them and will remain thankful that while they haven't been the most successful club, they're no St.Kilda/Footscray (WB) either. And, despite whatever happens, it's mutually exclusive to whether I'm able to respect an opposition club for their achievements.

I'm not quite sure exactly what you mean in the first paragraph. Personally I don't know how you do it. Do what, exactly? Respect Hawthorn because of their success, despite Geelong having lost a couple of GFs to them? Personally I would have pulled the pin had my club copped it when it mattered most. Again, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. I started watching football in 1989, I saw the Cats lose four Grand Finals in seven years. It sucked, sure... but it's not like was going to barrack for another club!

Since 1983, Hawthorn has won eight combined VFL/AFL premierships. They've also lost four, so how did you cope with that? While your question was perhaps tongue-in-cheek, with a dollop of condescension plonked on top, I will always answer straight up by saying that I love my club, will ALWAYS support them and will remain thankful that while they haven't been the most successful club, they're no St.Kilda/Footscray (WB) either. And, despite whatever happens, it's mutually exclusive to whether I'm able to respect an opposition club for their achievements.
Mate, you don't have to respond to KOLO. Nobody around here does.

Mate, you don't have to respond to KOLO. Nobody around here does.
Kolo has his moments, I've strongly disagreed with him in the past but there are also times where I find myself agreeing with him. He gets a bit of a harsh wrap on here.

I do however cringe a bit at this post, cat supporters have had a glorious period of late and I'm sure they are very content as opposed to being a St. Kilda or Doggies supporter.

Back