Opinion Which club is Essendon's biggest rival?

Essendon's biggest rival?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pweter

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 12, 2010
Right here, right now
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Central Districts, Detroit Pistons
Carlton occupy positions 1, 2 and 3 for me. It is a rivalry steeped in disgust and burning hatred.

The Collingwood rivalry is a big one, no doubt, but not on the same planet as Carlton. I can almost respect Collingwood.

For me the Hawthorn rivalry was borne from the 83 - 85 period where we played off in three consecutive GFs, and it's a rivalry the players from that era have rammed down the throat of the subsequent generation. Make no mistake, I love beating Hawthorn (though I've almost forgotten what it feels like) and the rivalry is there and it is strong.

They are the big ones for me, though I don't live it to the extent those living in Melbourne do so my perspective may be warped.

There is a difference between rivalry and hatred. For the purposes of this question I think most people will go down the hatred path.

For mine it is something like this:
Carlton

West Coast (can't stand their arrogant, feral, pack mentality supporters)
Hawthorn
Collingwood

The rest.

I'm almost at the point of Carlton and Hawthorn swapping positions.

I've worked in Hawks heartland for the past six years- 'nuff said. And Carlton are just too bad to evoke many feelings of genuine hatred right now.
Perma

Success breeds hatred. I'm not saying I don't hate them, because I do. But they're also just terrible and no threat to anyone whatsoever.

Hawthorn are good, damned good, and I hate them for it. And the next time one of their supporters reminds me how good they've been since 1961...we don't mention the 1925-60 era now, do we Hawks? ;)

Success breeds hatred. I'm not saying I don't hate them, because I do. But they're also just terrible and no threat to anyone whatsoever.

Hawthorn are good, damned good, and I hate them for it. And the next time one of their supporters reminds me how good they've been since 1961...we don't mention the 1925-60 era now, do we Hawks? ;)
No amount of ineptitude by Carlton will ever diminish my hatred of them.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
1) Carlton.

/end of discussion.

There is genuine pure hatred and rivalry between these two clubs.

Those ***** stole 1999 from us. That one point lost in the prelim final has scarred me for life and have hated the blues ever since. Visions of Fraser Brown's run down tackle of Dean Wallis & Justin Murphy holding the ball up after the siren are stuff of nightmares.
It was 15 years but still haunted by it.
I know it is only a game but that loss hurt more than any other in an Essendon fan/football nerd's eyes.

2) Collingwood is next genuine rivalry but with a tinge of respect due to the Anzac Day game and how well both clubs promote the game into into a great spectacle whilst respecting the Anzacs.

3) Hawthorn- great rivalry. just wished we played them twice a year?

4) Richmond

Resistor

Club Legend
Sep 21, 2012
Fly on the wall
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
they don't fear; Dallas Mavericks

Classic best team in the last 50 years. Well delete whatever history you like but you did sfa in the first 30

Jam123

Cancelled
Aug 21, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Carlton narrowly over Hawthorn.

Both have been sustained rivalries. I would really love to end Hawthorns premiership defence. We did it twice in recent history. 84 and 09.

Collingwood doesn't really have the history that those two have. Even Richmond have more history dating back to the 40s.
They are still one of our major rivals considering the size of the supporter base, ANZAC day and 1990.

North were four points away from a huge rivalry with Essendon. Carlton and Sydney beat us in 99 and 96 by 1 point. Still has the basis to become huge considering that the supporters already hate each other.

Those top 6 are all genuine rivalries. Carlton, Hawthorn, Collingwood, Richmond, North and West Coast. I hate all of them except Richmond.

Classic best team in the last 50 years. Well delete whatever history you like but you did sfa in the first 30
It's worth remembering that, for all their success since 1961, they still possess a negative win/loss record.

Took them until 1957 to even make the finals. Their 33rd season in the VFL.

Towno78

Premiership Player
Nov 6, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Hawthorn have been our biggest on-field rivalry in my opinion. At least in my lifetime. With Carlton, Collingwood and Richmond all being up there.
Carlton is the team we can collectively agree we hate the most.

It's worth remembering that, for all their success since 1961, they still possess a negative win/loss record.

Took them until 1957 to even make the finals. Their 33rd season in the VFL.
Minnow club. If they had the past 10 years we've had they'd be close to folding.

Minnow club. If they had the past 10 years we've had they'd be close to folding.
Not so sure about that. Tasmania was a master stroke and a pretty big insurance policy, effectively.

There's no doubt they didn't capitalise commercially as much as they could have on their 1980s success- Carlton screwing them over on the Princes Park gate takings, which likewise was a contributing factor in Fitzroy's demise, didn't help. The fact that they won in '91 and nearly merged (as the inferior partner) only five years later is testament to that.

Sep 12, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
1) Hawthorn/Carlton - smug arrogant pricks who I have zero respect for. Bile is produced when I think of them. Really is a cointoss who I hate more on a given day. Strangely enough I like 2 current Hawthorn players (Rough, Mitchell) & 2 Carlton players (Simpson, Menzel), but no more than that.
3) Collingwood - Don't like them, but respect them to a degree

The rest hate us more than we hate them. Better to be hated than irrelevant (suck s**t Gordo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back