Which current player has the best football IQ?

Which current player has the best football IQ?

• Sam Mitchell

Votes: 41 26.5%
  • Chad Wingard

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Luke Hodge

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Scott Pendelbury

Votes: 29 18.7%
  • Harry Taylor

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Dane Swan

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Robbie Gray

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • Gary Ablett

Votes: 33 21.3%
  • Brent Harvey

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Dustin Fletcher

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Jack Riewoldt

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Wondered wtf Wingard was doing in this company.

Saw the OP's team and got my answer.[/QUOTE
Often one step ahead of his opponents which is a major reason he is a moving highlight reel, does some ridiculous things because he reads the game so well and has great awareness about whats around him. Not only kicks goals but also has great creativity by hand and foot that create opportunities for his team mates

Often one step ahead of his opponents which is a major reason he is a moving highlight reel, does some ridiculous things because he reads the game so well and has great awareness about whats around him. Not only kicks goals but also has great creativity by hand and foot that create opportunities for his team mates
Yet he still has zero votes. Weird.

Josh Gibson, Easton Wood, Garrick Ibbotson and Dustin Fletcher. Guys who read the play well, intercept mark, leave their man to spoil and also act as a linking player.

It's a disgrace that Shaun Burygoyne hasn't been mentioned until now.

From the Pies, Sidebottom, Pendlebury and Varcoe all make terrific decisions under the pump.

I would've thought it was pretty obviously Michael Firrito.

michael-firrito-760x438.jpg

I'd go with Pendlebury. His ability to work through a situation that he has no business getting through, and making it look very easy, is ridiculous. He doesn't do it with brute strength, or breakneck speed, it's through an acute sense of what is unfolding around him, and seemingly knowing what the people around him are going to do before they do it.

Mitchell up there too.

K Simpson
S Sidebottom
D Heppell
C Mayne
M Pavlich
A Mackie
L Hodge
S Mitchell
J Lewis
D Cross
C Wingard (can't stand him, but gotta give credit)
T Chaplin
j Kennedy
R Murphy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitchell and Steve Johnson. A big asset for them both is the ability to execute naturally on either side of the body.

Johnson more mercurial and stuffs things up at times but I just laugh sometimes and think, 'how the hell did he see that?' He'll take more risks and improvise a lot more too. The Mark Waugh of AFL.

Mitchell not as flashy but very effective.

I put Hodge due to his ability to play anywhere and know when to do it. Dane Swan is my non-Hawthorn vote, he displays his football IQ every week just by getting so much of the ball, and remains the highest possession average in the history of the game.

Yeah I went Hodge too. Doesn't matter where he's playing, he knows what to do and rarely ballses it up.

Boomer Harvey deserves a mention. There haven't been many pure outside players with his consistency and then you consider he's one of the best kicks to advantage in the league.
I remember kane cornes saying he was his hardest player to tag. Mentioned that it wasn't just because he was fast, but that he had great footy smarts

Back