Which current players would make their club's all time best 22 ?

Remove this Banner Ad

DaVillaBlues

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
10k Posts I reneged on a bet or agreement :(
Aug 3, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
New England Patriots, Man City
Reckon since its now almost pointless to start revising 'team of the century' squads, its much more pertinent to refer to 'all time best 22' when it comes to discussing all time best players of each traditional club (in Port's case, Port Magpies players are allowed, as its the same club)

In Carlton's case, I think Chris Judd would be in our all time best 22, and i would be almost tempted to chuck Kade Simpson in there as well, Simmo has just been such a consistently good player, even in piss poor Wooden Spoon Blues teams (which isn't his fault)

I am fascinated with Hawthorn's all time best team as well, 3 flags in the last 8 years, only 2 players, Crawford and Hodge, would be walk up starts in their best 22, Mitchell would be an emergency.
The Hawks have been blessed with amazing Full Fowards over the decades, so no room for Buddy (plus his defection to the Swans is a factor)

Geelong definitely would have Selwood, Bartel and Enright in their all time greatest squad.

Pendlebury would be the only current Pies player i would have in Collingwood's greatest 22 (which probably is a bit rough on Dane Swan)

Dusty Fletcher is a lay down misere for Essendon's all time team but is Jobe Watson as well ?

Not sold on Cotchin being in Richmond's GOAT 22 yet, even though he has won 3 B and Fs..

Interesting discussion with the Doggies, Cooney yes, Griffen should be, but the events of this week would tarnish his legacy at the Kennell.

Current players as in played this season? Well Cox would easily walk into the Eagles team as ruckman and Glass would be Fullback.

Still playing though?

hmmm.......Kennedy would easily take Tony Evans place along side Sumich and Phil Matera. Darling by the end of his career should be better than Mitchell White or Brett Heading on the half forward line.

Hard to find a place for any of the midfielders with Kerr, Cousins, Judd, Dean Kemp and Peter Matera.

Probably none from the Swans. Franklin and Kennedy might by the time their careers end, depending on how long they play for.

Edit oops, forgot Goodes. Him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane Cornes. Also Travis Boak as he's the best captain we've had in a long time and maybe Robbie Gray on his 2014 season alone.

Pretty much this. Wingard, Wines, Ebert and Hartlett will go close to making this list in 5 years time too.

Crawford and Mitchell into ours. Not sure who they replace though

Too much to think about regarding Port, though Westhoff is an easy choice, he can play anywhere so put him anywhere else if he doesn't make it elsewhere . We're about to find out if our other W's would make it, but I'd bet they would! :cool: Hartlett definately! Schulz too. Actually, if our current team win a GF at anytime, just put 75% of the team in.

Get off it. Buddy>Mitchell

Buddy is better than Mitchell as a key forward but Mitchell is better as a midfielder.
You're comparing apples and oranges.

Buddy doesn't make the Hawthorn best 22 of all time for mine. He has had a few fantastic seasons for Hawthorn but that's it. You can't displace any of the current Hawthorn forwards just because Buddy has played a couple of blinders. If Buddy played out his career with us then he was definitely on track to be included. But we all know how that story ended

Remove this Banner Ad

Back