Tertiary and Continuing Which degrees are useless/useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

Traineeship?

Yes, because someone who has just spent 3-5 years of their life studying a degree in their field of choice at University wants to spend the next 3 years learning a trade at TAFE

Or if you're suggesting someone does that at the same time as their University studies, you can just turn around and walk out of here right now.

Perhaps take the slog and use a bit of hindsight before you get a bachelor degree in * all with no occupational benefit.
It may assist you in not knocking up the neighbor or something.

You take the risk at doing what you want to do - you got to take the fall for not being good enough.. University is a massive competition and guess what - you lost.

Neoliberal tripe
So If I got a bachelor degree in garden soils and I couldn't get a job as an environmentalist - whose fault is it?

liberal tripe that's cute - Pretty interesting for someone who can't accept the consequences for their own decisions.

I suppose rape is acceptable too?

So If I got a bachelor degree in garden soils and I couldn't get a job as an environmentalist - whose fault is it?

liberal tripe that's cute - Pretty interesting for someone who can't accept the consequences for their own decisions.

I suppose rape is acceptable too?
WTF is this?

Feel sorry for you bastards that are going to leave uni between age 25 and 30 and have no financial safety net until you find work.

Took me a year after I graduated before I got a graduate role with Queensland Treasur y.
Interesting comment . No single degree or even double degree takes that long, so the only way people would be graduating that late is if they were mature age, took multiple years off (probably spent establishing a financial safety net). , or opted to do postgraduate degrees (which provide more earning opportunities than undergraduate ones anyway). I feel more sorry for those of us who graduated in our early 20s "straight from school"- with no fun or safety net but still the hecs debt

Speaking from a mining background....

Engineering isn't that difficult and allows you to pretty much earn what you want where you want.

Safety science, and to a lesser extent environmental science (my degree) is also going through a massive boom at the mo. Both will earn you 70's straight out of uni and into 6 figures before too long.

Safety and Environmental degrees are also majors pretty much anyone can do with minimal prerequisites

It's not the absolute megabucks or anything, but for the everyman who is daunted by law/medicine i think it's a reasonable choice

Unless there's a downturn. At the particular mines that I'm at, the first places that were gutted were Enviro and the same has just happened to HSEC. Having those departments chock a block in goods times is the cream on top.

Mate, you have bumped a post from 4 years ago, it is certainly a different landscape now.

That said, safety science is still a pretty solid area. Environmental less so as the big area for employment there is the approval processes for new mines and processing operations. It has shrunk a bit to compliance only right now as the number of new operations in the pipeline has shrunk.

Engineering is also in the toilet at the moment compared to 4-5 years ago

Abbott killing off a few enviro programs will certainly put a pinch on the environmental industry, especially energy efficiency and greenhouse auditing.

Unless there's a downturn. At the particular mines that I'm at, the first places that were gutted were Enviro and the same has just happened to HSEC. Having those departments chock a block in goods times is the cream on top.

Alot of the mining safety guys are trying to move across to the offshore O&G industry where the conditions and remuneration was alot better than the mining industry. Many of these Mining HSEC guys have done a Cert 4 or maybe a diploma in HSE and are now undercutting the offshore conditions & remuneration just to get a job.

Interesting comment . No single degree or even double degree takes that long, so the only way people would be graduating that late is if they were mature age, took multiple years off (probably spent establishing a financial safety net). , or opted to do postgraduate degrees (which provide more earning opportunities than undergraduate ones anyway). I feel more sorry for those of us who graduated in our early 20s "straight from school"- with no fun or safety net but still the hecs debt

This is a pretty insular post. It assumes that everyone has the same privileges and opportunities to follow the linear route of school, university, employment.

Well, no. Many people can't go straight to uni. And it's not because they're setting up a safety net - it's because they don't have parents who handed them everything, and they're just trying to survive. Other people don't have the marks for their chosen course and have to wait until they're 21 to go to uni (admittedly, you'd hope they'd do something in between). Some people straight out of high school have to take gap years because, when you think about it, it's actually pretty unreasonable that we expect 18 year olds to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives. And then you have people like me who got a good way through a degree, realised they were on the wrong track, and then pretty much had to start again.

I'm not complaining about the HECS - I made my bed.

But the increase in interest rates is a disgrace and will particularly hurt people who graduate to low paying jobs and women who take a break to have kids.

I also feel strongly for the people who will go to uni, not be able to get a job immediately, and then be left with nothing. Because I was that person - I did casual jobs in the year after I left uni (I was 24), but also didn't get a job for a year after I'd finished. So no, I'm not the 25yo that the Govt is talking about - but only cos of good luck, not good management.

I'm a good example of why welfare exists. It gave me the hand up, it allowed me to survive... and it allowed me to go on to become the high-functioning, well-paid, high-tax paying worker that I am today. The changes proposed by the Government are about a conservative ideology that doesn't like to see people rise above their class - and that's all it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is an even weirder post. I didn't assume that everyone has the same privileges , or imply that that is the better route . I feel sorry for people who had the supposedly privileged route . But no it's not necessary to take a gap year just because parents don't /can't pay for you! Rather than assuming that straight to uni is the norm , I acknowledged that it isn't , especially not in the context described by the poster I quoted

As for people who don't have the marks (even after taking into account the special consideration and bridging courses available , which gives a massive boost these days ) or didn't know what they wanted to do , they would have done something beforehand!

The upcoming changes to the generous paid parental leave will hurt new parents more than interest rates . And the changes to hecs and uni fees will hurt students more than interest rates so it's weird that you picked that aspect , given governments can't control interest rates (as shown by how they have often gone up before an election instead of down!)

I feel for those people too, and alluded to it in another of my posts when I talked about the contrasting job supply /demand situations when entering vs graduating from degrees like engineering /teaching

Yes the changes proposed by a government are a way to fix the books , too bad if it affects among the most vulnerable people .

This is a pretty insular post. It assumes that everyone has the same privileges and opportunities to follow the linear route of school, university, employment.

Well, no. Many people can't go straight to uni. And it's not because they're setting up a safety net - it's because they don't have parents who handed them everything, and they're just trying to survive. Other people don't have the marks for their chosen course and have to wait until they're 21 to go to uni (admittedly, you'd hope they'd do something in between). Some people straight out of high school have to take gap years because, when you think about it, it's actually pretty unreasonable that we expect 18 year olds to know what they want to do for the rest of their lives. And then you have people like me who got a good way through a degree, realised they were on the wrong track, and then pretty much had to start again.

I'm not complaining about the HECS - I made my bed.

But the increase in interest rates is a disgrace and will particularly hurt people who graduate to low paying jobs and women who take a break to have kids.

I also feel strongly for the people who will go to uni, not be able to get a job immediately, and then be left with nothing. Because I was that person - I did casual jobs in the year after I left uni (I was 24), but also didn't get a job for a year after I'd finished. So no, I'm not the 25yo that the Govt is talking about - but only cos of good luck, not good management.

I'm a good example of why welfare exists. It gave me the hand up, it allowed me to survive... and it allowed me to go on to become the high-functioning, well-paid, high-tax paying worker that I am today. The changes proposed by the Government are about a conservative ideology that doesn't like to see people rise above their class - and that's all it is.

Engineering seems to be a licence to print money, could be a reflection of the period I join the workforce though (2007).

Accounting and finance are great if you want to travel

Medicine and Nursing will always be in demand, they wont automate those jobs anytime soon.

IT seems to give people the most freedom to work remotely, something that to me is very desireable.

Law is a tough slog with constant politics and competition, potential big payoff if you can play the game though.

Saldy in Australia anything in the Arts field usually doesnt have the desired outcome, its a very small pond.

Engineering seems to be a licence to print money, could be a reflection of the period I join the workforce though (2007).

I haven't found the same since starting work as an engineer in 2010, what discipline of engineer are you? Do you work in the mining industry?

Im not an Engineer, just used to have Engineer regret. That has since changed after realizing the international opportunities a commerce degree provides.
Unless you want to work in mining, (relatively) there is not much money in engineering.

I'm starting Uni mid-year and currently in the enrolling process. I've selected two subjects I am interested in (politics/intl relations), working towards a major, however I would like to select someone that is totally different to my main interests with my last subject. Sociology (or something in that area) would be the obvious, but I would like to learn a language. I sort of feel that it would in a way this wastes the opportunity of doing a subject that is unavailable anywhere else and instead should do either a private course or language diploma at TAFE.

Has anyone here done a language at Uni and would you recommend it?

Engineering is also in the toilet at the moment compared to 4-5 years ago

just graduated and got my Beng (civil/structural). Really wish i was born a bit earlier as its kinda tough to find a grad job atm :(. Hopefully it picks up soon due projects like the eastwest link being approved

Most Useless: Theology, Philosophy and Arts (Drama).
Most Useful: Computer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineeering

How much in demand is psychology - everyone seems to do it?

Also why do people want to kill themselves in their last year of an architect degree
Not much demand for completed psych honours graduates. People thought it was a easy step into good money so more and more went for it, driving entry scores up, people keep on jumping on board. At mercy of trying to find masters research post degree.

Just final year? I've been dying for 3 years :p it's the blind belief that it's applicable, valuable real life creativity when were just subsets of the larger capitalist economy for the most part...

Not much demand for completed psych honours graduates. People thought it was a easy step into good money so more and more went for it, driving entry scores up, people keep on jumping on board. At mercy of trying to find masters research post degree.

Just final year? I've been dying for 3 years :p it's the blind belief that it's applicable, valuable real life creativity when were just subsets of the larger capitalist economy for the most part...
Lamen terms for that last part in regards to architecture? ha

Lamen terms for that last part in regards to architecture? ha
People think it lets them be creative for something functional, rather than 'just' art.

When really you're at the whims of whoever is giving you money for the most part, most of whom are dick waving, capitalists who don't care about the 'nuances' of the trade you learn for 5-10 years. Whatever is cheapest whilst looking the best.

(I do actually love what I do, believe it or not :p)

And it really one of the more ****ed up degrees. I was at university, 9-5 for about 23 days straight 5 weeks out from the final submission, and I would go home, have two hours off before getting back to it until 2-3 in the morning.

And I was one of the more dedicated people throughout the semester before that point...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back