Tertiary and Continuing Which degrees are useless/useful?

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW the lecturer I had that was an AFL player manager had a Bachelor of Law and a Bachelor of Commerce.

As far as I know Curtin has taken out its sports management major.

That would be Gavin Jahn, he was one of my unit tutors for one of my Masters units through Curtin Graduate School of Business.

I think the main point which may have been largely missed in these 12 pages is that if you are smart and dedicated enough, you can make something out of any degree. Yes, some are easier than the others but no degrees are completely useless. You may just have to work a bit harder to stand out in the crowd! But then again, hard work does not mix well with most uni students.

I'm currently considering my options for next year and I've really got no clue what to do at the moment

I'm considering:
A BA (Probably majoring in journalism)
Commerce
Sports Management

Really not sure, any thoughts or advice?

Open to suggestions about any courses really.

I'm currently considering my options for next year and I've really got no clue what to do at the moment

I'm considering:
A BA (Probably majoring in journalism)
Commerce
Sports Management

Really not sure, any thoughts or advice?

Open to suggestions about any courses really.

Commerce is the one most likely to lead to employment I would suggest.

I am currently doing medicine, in my last year and currently in the process of applying for internships.

For what was once considered to be a very safe degree choice, there is a word of warning for those wishing to become doctors in the future. Due to the government being unable to look more than 2 years into the future, Australia is currently at the beginning of a medical student 'tsunami', due to the massive increase in numbers of medical schools, with minimal increase in the number of intern positions in hospitals. As such, currently many international students are graduating without the prospect of a job, and in the next few years local students are also likely to miss out. And completing your internship is essential in becoming a doctor.

And dont listen to people who say it matters where you do your degree. They all pretty much teach the same stuff, and the hospitals dont care where you came from (apart from some elitist ones). Everyone does exactly the same job in their first few years out.

But its not all bad, you will always be able to find work anywhere in the world!

Just completed a semester of an arts degree (mass communication), and apart from it being awfully easy, it has been a huge waste of time

My inital hope was to get a job in the media, but now i look at it i dont really need a degree to do that, and can persue it as a hobby rather than a degree

Will most likely switch to a commerce degree (enjoyed and was relitivly good at economics at high school) looking at the areas of PR/marketing. Anyone currently in this area recomend it ?
The other avenue would be high school education, as i think i would be good at it, but im not quite sure what i would teach, or if i would be ethical enough (the thought of telling kids to **** off amuses me greatly :D )

Just completed a semester of an arts degree (mass communication), and apart from it being awfully easy, it has been a huge waste of time
)

Which uni?

My experience at Monash (where you need a 90 ATAR just to get in, these days) was that it was 'awfully easy' to pass, not so easy to get straight HDs.

If you know what I mean.

Which uni?

My experience at Monash (where you need a 90 ATAR just to get in, these days) was that it was 'awfully easy' to pass, not so easy to get straight HDs.

If you know what I mean.

Your obviously not as smart as you think then...I am doing Arts/Commerce and Arts is so easy its a joke

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your obviously not as smart as you think then...I am doing Arts/Commerce and Arts is so easy its a joke

Not majoring in English, I gather?

Both Commerce and Arts have some laughably easy units, but even the easiest Arts unit is a bit more time-consuming than the easy Commerce units (which is most of them).

More that there are too many students.
A good accountant will have no difficulty getting a good job, an average student will need luck.

This might just be for WA though, I have no idea about the situation in the eastern states.

There is an oversupply of bus/com grads in the eastern states

And dont listen to people who say it matters where you do your degree. They all pretty much teach the same stuff, and the hospitals dont care where you came from (apart from some elitist ones). Everyone does exactly the same job in their first few years out.

But its not all bad, you will always be able to find work anywhere in the world!

This is only true of courses like medicine. Uni's certainly matter in professional services and business generally many major businesses only target sandstone unis plus a few others

My advice to anyone looking at what to study, is too study a course that has a'licensed' vocational outcome. IE engineering, architecture, accounting, law, radiography, etc. Stick well away from generalist degrees there are far too many graduates in the market place.

2 questions:

1. So you are saying Sports Management is a waste of time, and will get you a low paying job in the future??

2. Bachelor of Journalism (Sport) Is this worth doing?? Where could it get me in the future??

2 questions:

1. So you are saying Sports Management is a waste of time, and will get you a low paying job in the future??

2. Bachelor of Journalism (Sport) Is this worth doing?? Where could it get me in the future??

Second option is worse than the first. I have posted previously in this thread or another about many I know who have graduated with a Journalism degree.

My advice to anyone looking at what to study, is too study a course that has a'licensed' vocational outcome. IE engineering, architecture, accounting, law, radiography, etc. Stick well away from generalist degrees there are far too many graduates in the market place.

This is a great general piece of advice if you are looking for job security and don't want to rely too much on networking and knowing the right people in the right places.

I'm doing a Bachelor Of Arts at La Trobe. I find there are three steps you need to take *if you're doing a generalist degree* to make it significant.

1. When someone asks you what you're doing, don't say 'Arts'. I say

Bachelor of Humanities & Social Sciences - Shut's them right up.

When I mean 'them' I mean the idiots that ask 'oh can you draw?'

2. Have a plan for your degree. Know what you're doing with it, if you wanna be a teacher than great, if you wanna frame it on your wall and look at it, not so great.

3. No course is easy, each course can be as hard as you want it to be, it's all based on how much you want to work. If you're an Arts student who takes it very seriously, then you will get great marks, which will expand your opportunities. If you fail half your units, I highly doubt you'll get looked at even if you get the degree.

But yeah I generally find most people that attain a generalist degree have no idea what's next.

Arts, Business, Science, Commerce...they are all such broad spectrums. You need to have a plan for yourself.

2 questions:

As I said in the other thread very very few people who do journalism become journalists. That said I don't any one should be giving you specific advice on courses without knowing what's important to you, what your strengths are academically, what earning aspiration are. To some people who do nursing or social work the money isn't as important as other considerations for instance. To me the Melbourne model (or USA style) gives you better choices as you shouldn't have to choose a career coming out of school. Talk to the career people at the unis, or they usually have days when new prospective students can visit on open days.

Something to think about in your specific case, is to see whether they offer graduate courses in sport management. Then presuming your interested in business do commerce degree first at the best possible uni first. Generally the first year is the same and you can decide whether you want an accounting hr or whatever focus later.

I'm doing a Bachelor Of Arts at La Trobe. I find there are three steps you need to take *if you're doing a generalist degree* to make it significant.

1. When someone asks you what you're doing, don't say 'Arts'. I say

Bachelor of Humanities & Social Sciences - Shut's them right up.

When I mean 'them' I mean the idiots that ask 'oh can you draw?'

2. Have a plan for your degree. Know what you're doing with it, if you wanna be a teacher than great, if you wanna frame it on your wall and look at it, not so great.

3. No course is easy, each course can be as hard as you want it to be, it's all based on how much you want to work. If you're an Arts student who takes it very seriously, then you will get great marks, which will expand your opportunities. If you fail half your units, I highly doubt you'll get looked at even if you get the degree.

But yeah I generally find most people that attain a generalist degree have no idea what's next.

Arts, Business, Science, Commerce...they are all such broad spectrums. You need to have a plan for yourself.

How did you find that these are the right steps to take if you have not even finished the degree yet and seen the results of the usefulness of the degree?

Maybe I see this question slightly differently, but I consider a degree "useful" if the student goes on to contribute something useful after graduating.

So for me, law, commerce, accounting, finance are all useless degrees because the people who do them go on to do nothing more than push other people's money around.

Useful degrees are more in the vein of medicine, architecture, engineering - these graduates actually go on to make society a better place.

My 2c.

Maybe I see this question slightly differently, but I consider a degree "useful" if the student goes on to contribute something useful after graduating.

So for me, law, commerce, accounting, finance are all useless degrees because the people who do them go on to do nothing more than push other people's money around.

Useful degrees are more in the vein of medicine, architecture, engineering - these graduates actually go on to make society a better place.

My 2c.

Law, commerce, accounting etc have all existed as occupations for thousands of years, and really make things that you see as useful possible. Whatever your moral stance on them.

You have to be a real top tier commerce student to get anywhere. Really need distinction average.

Doesn't help you much. I have 75 average from Monash and it's pretty much impossible to get anything in Finance/Economics. Well, outside of s**t sales jobs like financial planning and retail/business banking. I sort of wish I did accounting but then even that is similiar in that the easy jobs to get are in auditing and would be torture.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back