Opinion Which direction to take from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Build a new backline first, that process can be started by getting a season into Thurlow and getting Guthrie back on a back flank. Bews as lock down and there you have three medium sized defenders for the future.

Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Motlop is the base for the midfield but we need to find another 3 at least.

Agreed with all, except if Stanley is playing then I would replace Simpson with a midfielder. Lonergan Taylor Blicavs Stanley Simpson Clark Hawkins is way too top heavy.
Yeah, it's one too many. I think the ideal setup in defence is really the Hawthornesque small-who-plays-tall as third man up (in that case, Josh Gibson). Blitz is flexible, let's use that flexibility - I don't think there's room for Stanley, Simpson and Blitz.

Agreed with all, except if Stanley is playing then I would replace Simpson with a midfielder. Lonergan Taylor Blicavs Stanley Simpson Clark Hawkins is way too top heavy.

I would love to play Walker but he probably won't warrant a game this year, which in my opinion is a result of criminal list management.

That's easy to say now SJ, but why couldn't anyone notice that before this season?

Oh that's right, we did.

The birthpain that we will experience is having younsters learn the midfield not a lot we can do about it, this came about as a result of the players we just let go who couldnt step up, so we have had to mini rebuild, getting the balance right between old and new not going to be easy, and will require continued assessment to where the club is at in terms of finals, apart of me feels we should ditch the old and get as many games into the younger one's as possible it may mean we get crunched everyweek, the other part feels that you dont peak in April do the team have the ability to contend at the pointy end, only time will tell

8-12 i think.....who do we have left that they will bring in, firstly on form it's Walker & Kolo and kersten. The next obvious is mot's, gore has had a promising pre-season, rewarded with selection in the team yest as an emerg. Where the MC see hmac & daws is the next big query, all of us on here has our opinions but how surreal to those of the mc is difficult to understand. Finally other than any others i've missed the other player is jj once he recovers from injury and then gets miles n form into his conditioning he would be looked at aswell. Team balance and form will regulate those in's. Whats the odds of being 1-7 or 2-6 after 8 rounds

Its a pickle, I know he's young, inconsistent and new to the team but I think for mobility reasons and team structure reasons we must go with Stanley as First Ruckman, supported by Clark and Blicavs.

I think questions do need to start to be asked about the selections of some of the oldies.
- Stokes is the big one for me. Just not contributing at the moment. Either move him out of the midfield back into a small forward role, or let him be one of the players who make way for the return of Bartel and Motlop.

We are playing alot of very inexperienced players already so I don't think the answer is to go too much further in that direction, but the occasional dropping to find form in the 2's and give an opportunity can only be a good thing.

So my changes for next week would be:-

Out: Simpson(May as well play without a ruckman), Stokes(Needs to recapture form), Cockatoo(Get some confidence back in the 2's)
In: Bartel, Motlop, Horlin-Smith

in case of tldr;

Simpson out, he just doesn't have it anymore.
Drop max of 1 oldie a week form and injury dependent.
Give opportunities to the players who are banging down the door.

We must keep getting games into:-

Smedts, Bews, Cockatoo, Gregson, Lang, Horlin-Smith, Gore. As these 5 guys are likely going to be players we're relying on in 2 years time. (Whether you like it or not)

You can also add Thurlow, Cowan, Menzel all to this list if they reach fitness (Not withstanding the long times 2 of these players have been on the sidelines we need them to start being fit and seeing what they are capable of)

I think to play anymore than about 5 of them at once is madness, we'll get done like a dinner and it won't help their development.

I haven't given up on this season by a long stretch. Guthrie 2013 is a testament to how much a player can improve over the course of a season. The difference between 12 games and 2 games is demonstrable.

I doubt any of them will turn into super stars this year, a significant improvement in the team from all 5 of them gaining confidence and understanding with their teammates should give us cause for alot of hope this season.

We're not top 4 material anymore. I think it would be "Mission Accomplished" if we make the finals and continue to get that experience into our players. If that is to happen we need to start by winning next weekend, and that will only happen if we can improve the entries into the forward 50. Both in quality and in number.

Danger or not we've gotta try and shake something loose from the GWS tree. So many midfielders!

Spot on manboob
The way Adelaide is playing at the moment Danger is no certainty to leave anyway. They look like a Team who are enjoying their footy enermously and are clearly responding well to a new Coach.

unfortunately some of us have been calling for it for a while but it's now time to really keep the inexperienced players in the team and see what they have to offer.
Guys like Kersten, Walker, Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Kolodjashnij, let's see if they are trade material or worth persisting with for the long term.

We aren't playing finals, that much is clear. We don't have much to lose here. Perhaps a few veterans noses will be put out of joint but hey, they still get a hefty paycheck and they are doing what's best for their football club.

unfortunately some of us have been calling for it for a while but it's now time to really keep the inexperienced players in the team and see what they have to offer.
Guys like Kersten, Walker, Horlin-Smith, Smedts, Kolodjashnij, let's see if they are trade material or worth persisting with for the long term.

We aren't playing finals, that much is clear. We don't have much to lose here. Perhaps a few veterans noses will be put out of joint but hey, they still get a hefty paycheck and they are doing what's best for their football club.
Agreed, but who gets dropped? Stokes seems the obvious choice but that is only one player.

Agreed, but who gets dropped? Stokes seems the obvious choice but that is only one player.

Kelly and Mackie haven't exactly been stellar either. Mackie played his best game of the year last night but he's still a shadow of the player he was back in 2013.
Stokes as you said looks to have declined quite a bit. Johnson tries but he's just so slow these days. He often summed up situations in the blink of an eye whereas right now, he looks a player just going through the motions.
He's still better than anything we have in the reserves though but there are veterans who could do with a couple of weeks in the VFL.

Rivers may be another one who needs a rest. His last fortnight has been very poor. Perhaps knee issues? Or perhaps the inevitable decline?

Either way, these are decision which have to be taken. If not, we may as well trade Kolo, Jansen and other blokes who can't seem to get a look in, as that way, we could get something for them right now other than wait another year as we did with Mitch Brown (got an offer from Hawthorn I believe) and eventually get zero for them.

Kelly and Mackie haven't exactly been stellar either. Mackie played his best game of the year last night but he's still a shadow of the player he was back in 2013.
Stokes as you said looks to have declined quite a bit. Johnson tries but he's just so slow these days. He often summed up situations in the blink of an eye whereas right now, he looks a player just going through the motions.
He's still better than anything we have in the reserves though but there are veterans who could do with a couple of weeks in the VFL.

Rivers may be another one who needs a rest. His last fortnight has been very poor. Perhaps knee issues? Or perhaps the inevitable decline?

Either way, these are decision which have to be taken. If not, we may as well trade Kolo, Jansen and other blokes who can't seem to get a look in, as that way, we could get something for them right now other than wait another year as we did with Mitch Brown (got an offer from Hawthorn I believe) and eventually get zero for them.
How much rest do you think Rivers needs?
3 weeks not enough?
Why not something novel and KEEP Kolo? And Jansen? And actually play them. We'd get zilch for them now anyway with their zero exposure.
We see Hamling running around at Dogland- where would you like to swap Kolo to and who for?

Rivers is at his best when he is matched up right. When our defensive structures have been working.

Last two games, neither have been working. Sure Rivers has been shown up but he is just the result of the bigger issue.

Domsy, HT, Boris, Thurlow and Bews just have not been playing well.

Riv is not alone.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Build a new backline first, that process can be started by getting a season into Thurlow and getting Guthrie back on a back flank. Bews as lock down and there you have three medium sized defenders for the future.

Duncan, Caddy, Selwood, Motlop is the base for the midfield but we need to find another 3 at least.

If Kersten can't come on, put Caddy in Kersten's projected role. Not exactly like for like, but anyway. Caddy is great out in the open, has shown he can take a mark, kick a goal, make good decisions on the run, has speed. Also, the boy has grunt. I'm starting to wonder about Kersten.

But Caddy is not a midfielder. If he is, then he is an outside midfielder. He just doesn't have the quickness of mind in heavy traffic. We get no advantage with his inside possessions. He is wasted there.

If Kersten can't come on, put Caddy in Kersten's projected role. Not exactly like for like, but anyway. Caddy is great out in the open, has shown he can take a mark, kick a goal, make good decisions on the run, has speed. Also, the boy has grunt. I'm starting to wonder about Kersten.

But Caddy is not a midfielder. If he is, then he is an outside midfielder. He just doesn't have the quickness of mind in heavy traffic. We get no advantage with his inside possessions. He is wasted there.

It's interesting to see how the perception has changed. He's gone from 'bull' to 'lamb' in only a few months.

It's interesting to see how the perception has changed. He's gone from 'bull' to 'lamb' in only a few months.
My perception hasn't changed.

I started a thread a while back about this a while back, but got shouted down. Posters thought I was attacking him. I was saying he is in the wrong position. Like Hawkins in the ruck because it sort of makes sense. Same thing, imo.

If you made a highlight reel for Caddy, exactly none of it would be his inside work. Marks, long raking kicks, run, strong one on one stuff.

My perception hasn't changed.

I started a thread a while back about this a while back, but got shouted down. Posters thought I was attacking him. I was saying he is in the wrong position. Like Hawkins in the ruck because it sort of makes sense. Same thing, imo.

If you made a highlight reel for Caddy, exactly none of it would be his inside work. Marks, long raking kicks, run, strong one on one stuff.

Too few highlights of kicking goals from set shots that should be gimmes.

And he would not be alone.

Some shameful easy misses of late.

Go Catters

Too few highlights of kicking goals from set shots that should be gimmes.

And he would not be alone.

Some shameful easy misses of late.

Go Catters
That's team form. The whole team is down. The boys need a shake-up before it gets terminal. It's a shame, because when we had Stanley and Blicavs firing, you could see what Scott was trying to do.

That's team form. The whole team is down. The boys need a shake-up before it gets terminal. It's a shame, because when we had Stanley and Blicavs firing, you could see what Scott was trying to do.
Agree..

This plays into my comments elsewhere about his plan A actual being good when the cattle it's designed for are fit.

Go Catters

1) Never play Simpson again, trade Kersten, Murdoch, Smedts and throw in Motlop. To get any of the players they are seeking, particularly Dangerfield then they are going to have to sacrifice. I don't believe Dangerfield will leave Adelaide now.
2) Play as many young players as possible for the rest of the year.
3) Tap on the shoulder Clark, Stokes, Johnson, Kelly, Rivers, Enright
4) The coach? Poach Ken Hinkley?
5) Fasten your seat belts Cats fans and brace yourself, it's going to be a long and tough ride!

1) Never play Simpson again, trade Kersten, Murdoch, Smedts and throw in Motlop. To get any of the players they are seeking, particularly Dangerfield then they are going to have to sacrifice. I don't believe Dangerfield will leave Adelaide now.
5) Fasten your seat belts Cats fans and brace yourself, it's going to be a long and tough ride!

That makes sense. Give away those players to get Dangerfield, because we're not going to get Dangerfield.

With posts like these I agree

Remove this Banner Ad

Back