Which Junior Club?

Remove this Banner Ad

rjsau

Draftee
Jun 15, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi Guys,

My family is moving from interstate to the outer eastern suburbs and I'm looking for a football club for my 12 year old son. The choices in the area we will be are Lilydale, Mooroolbark or Chirnside Park. Any information/suggestions would be appreciated

Cheers
Rod

Guessing if he is 12 now, he will be under 13's next year?

Here's how the sides went this year:
Lilydale played in 12A & came 9th out of the 12 teams

Mooroolbark had two U/12 sides one in 12B (came third) & one in 12C (2nd last)

Chirnside Park lost the Grand Final of 12C

Probably just pick the closest side as they are all good clubs, unless you want your son to play a specific grade of football.

Thanks for the information.
Yeah he'll be 13 next Feb. (Thinks he's 18!!) Does that mean he is under 13's still? He played 12's this year. Our league doesn't call the age groups under 12 etc, its just 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 etc etc and the players must be turning that age or younger during the calender year otherwise they go up to the next age group.
(I think thats how it works)

Do all the clubs have similar facilities and equipment? I don't really have any thoughts about what grade he should be in at his age, I just want him to have every opportunity to continue improving.

Thanks for the information.
Yeah he'll be 13 next Feb. (Thinks he's 18!!) Does that mean he is under 13's still? He played 12's this year. Our league doesn't call the age groups under 12 etc, its just 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 etc etc and the players must be turning that age or younger during the calender year otherwise they go up to the next age group.
(I think thats how it works)

Do all the clubs have similar facilities and equipment? I don't really have any thoughts about what grade he should be in at his age, I just want him to have every opportunity to continue improving.

He will be able to play under 13s next year.
Another club you could consider is Montrose. They have great new facilities.

He will be able to play under 13s next year.
Another club you could consider is Montrose.

Thanks for the advice Goady.

For a while, it was a toss of a coin which club to go to. I'd decided that my eldest could have a kick at each ground and decide for himself.

Unfortunately for all the other clubs, each time we went to Montrose to have a kick, someone always wanted to come and have a chat about how much of a family club it is and how welcome we'd be. After seeing the facilities, meeting some very nice people and running around on such a fantastic surface, my son was happy to join Montrose. My youngest is also happy, but moreso about the adjoining playground :)

The club promotional video clip kindly sent to me certainly helped as well :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilBQr5jjxK8

(I did the right thing and took him to some other grounds to have a kick, but it was all too late!)

The eldest got given a club booklet at training two weeks ago outlining the style of footy and behaviour they must adhere to at Montrose. It was very impressive and has reinforced that I have made the right decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back