Which of your club's 2014 games are worth rewatching?

Remove this Banner Ad

R9 vs Magpies
R15 vs Port Adelaide
R17 vs Hawthorn
R22 vs North-because of the see-saw nature of the game and the close result.

Umm

Umm

Umm

Why can't foxtel replay the 2012 season

Adelaide were involved in some beauties I thought.

Hawthorn, Second showdown and WCE late in the year were all very good matches. The win over Collingwood was pretty good footy as well.

From a neutral perspective:

Round 2 vs Carlton.
Round 3 vs bulldogs
Round 17 vs Port
Round 20 vs Bombers (I didn't see this one but it was supposedly a good game)
Round 21 vs Crows (May have been boring for the first three quarters but the tightness and context of the game made it interesting)
Round 23 vs Swans

North fans could watch the North-Richmond game over and over.
With press red for Kev too.

Adelaide were involved in some beauties I thought.

Hawthorn, Second showdown and WCE late in the year were all very good matches. The win over Collingwood was pretty good footy as well.

We were involved in 7 games decided under 2 goals we won one of those

we beat you twice this year I think in h/a so how come the 'we beat Geelong when it counts' finals match come into play? on your list
After the Hawthorn match, the four quarter of the Geelong semi (particularly the last 10 min) took away much of the gloss.

I'm omitting a majority of the games during our mid season in which we were playing shitty sloppy football as they were insanely painful to watch - although I'm sure they were great for the fans of the opposition :p Doing this as if I was a neutral.

Port vs Kangaroos @ ES - This game was a nightmare for me in the sense that we lost some key players at the worst possible times. It doesn't take away from NM's win, a lot of high intensity football with NM overcoming us come fourth quarter. Their run in the end was amazing.

Port vs Hawks @ AO - I just want to chuck this one in because this was is the moment I realised that Hawks would win the GF. They had a lot of key players out and still managed to successfully maintain a decent structure, away from home, while we were still undefeated there. It was the first time watching a home game that season that I actually thought we'd lose.

Port vs Sydney @ SCG - At the time both teams were considered juggernauts - and this was well and truly the moment in which you began to see why Buddy was worth the money. Amazing watch for a neutral.

vs Richmond @ AO (First Quarter) - If you ever want to watch a whole group of supporters come to the sudden shock that their finals campaign is over in the first quarter, this is a pretty good indicator. Out of everything I've stated here though, its definitely the most boring of them all, as its essentially a beatdown (and who enjoys them if you don't support the team doing the beat down?)

vs Fremantle @ PS - Actually, don't know if this one is worth putting in and would rank it at about the Richmond level because of Freo's awful goal kicking and inability to close the game, but beating Freo at home, in the finals, when NO-ONE thought it could happen was pretty great. But again, I think this is just coming from a Port fan.

Port vs Hawks Prelim @ MCG - Besides our shitty goal kicking at the start (and Hawthorn's lack of presence) this game was ******* incredible and I'd almost definitely say the best game of the finals.

If I were to rank...

vs Hawks Finals
vs Sydney SCG
vs Kangaroos MCG
vs Hawks AO
vs Fremantle Finals
vs Richmond Finals

For me Rd 11 v Geelong & the two Port games (Rds 13 and 20). Seeing both live I actually preferred the second meeting, it wasn't as exciting finish but it felt sweeter (being around Port Adelaide fans and having been at West Lakes the previous year) so I've watched that one about 10 times in the last 2 months.

Bulldogs vs Collingwood
Bulldogs vs Melbourne (2nd)
I actually thought the first bulldogs melbourne game was better not as close at the end but neck and neck all game until the last five minutes. Even as dissappointed as I was with the result it was hard to walk away from that game too annoyed as it was so entertaining throughout

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our first game v Collingwood at the G was a high quality affair. Shame about the result.

The North game on a Sunday evening at Subiaco (pretty sure we only played them once) was about as bad as football gets at this level. Was like watching 3rd grade suburban football.

I actually thought the first bulldogs melbourne game was better not as close at the end but neck and neck all game until the last five minutes. Even as dissappointed as I was with the result it was hard to walk away from that game too annoyed as it was so entertaining throughout

Never saw that one. We seem to have good games against each other though.

I've finished rewatching all the Hawthorn games, but I'm still in the mood to perhaps see some games I missed during the season.

So which of your team's games from the last season are worth a rewatch?

Big comebacks, 4 quarter efforts, upsets, total dominations...

Which would you take another look at?
Despite the facts it's incredibly weird that you've rewatched all hawthorns games, saints vs freo is fun.

We were involved in 7 games decided under 2 goals we won one of those
In 2014?
Obviously not a good year for Adelaide teams then, we had 8 games decided by under 2 goals and we won only 2 of those.
Combined 3-12 record ugh

Collingwood vs Port Adelaide
Roos v Port in round 3 was a great high quality for 4 quarters
Round 17 vs Port
Played some reasonable footy in the last few weeks of the season, the Geelong/Hawthorn/Port games were pretty good IMO.
Ummmmm................. the Showdown win?
For me Rd 11 v Geelong & the two Port games (Rds 13 and 20].
Add the final against Hawthorn which OP has seen, and the loss to Essendon, and that's all of Port's losses this year! By page 3 no less.

Haven't limited this to my club:

Rd 1: GWS vs Sydney - excellent performance by the Giants, Sydney were ahead for much of the day but didn't put them away, paid the price in the end.
Rd 2: Rich vs Carl - was a funny game, both sides had so many chances to gain the ascendancy, good close finish. Ess vs Haw - excellent game.
Rd 3: North vs Port - fantastic game of footy in which the Kangas outlasted Port at the death. Haw vs Fre was a brutal, clinical display.
Rd 4: Mel vs Carl - Melbourne played good footy and got the reward, after having played well previously without kicking winning scores. Not bruise-free.
Rd 5: WCE vs Port and Geel vs Haw both worth a watch.
Rd 6: Coll vs Ess - good comeback by my mob. North taking it right up to and beating Freo in Subi and Carlton pipping Eagles at the post also good.
Rd 7: Haw vs St K - hooley dooley. Melb vs Adel was fantastic, the finish was absolutely pulsating.
Rd 8: WB vs Melb and Ess vs Bris both good games with close finishes.
Rd 9: Adel vs Coll - not a great day for us, but the atmosphere was amazing. Melb vs Rich also a good one, goalkicking the difference in the end.
Rd 10: Three good games with close finishes: Coll vs WCE (dodgy call to Grundy the decider), Port vs Haw, Carl vs Adel (notable for Heath Scotland taking a break from clubbing blokes and then implementing the 'fireman defence' to do a farewell lap and Dale Thomas finally landing a set shot). Good close finish.
Rd 11: Bris vs Carl - the armchair ride the Lions got on the way to sneaking home even had me blushing, was good backs-to-the-wall stuff, though. Syd vs Geel: It is seldom you see the Cats taken apart the way Sydney did, was a sight to behold.
Rd 12: Geel vs Carl - Geelong lucky to get away with the win with some questionable decisions at the death.
Rd 13: Melb vs Ess probably my favourite game of the year. First half wasn't that great, but the second was fantastic, Mlebourne kept coming and coming, got ahead, then Zaharakis kicked two to get the Bombers back on top, but the Dees wouldn't lie down and the passage of play for the last goal was great.
Syd vs Port was a very high quality game, WB vs us was a close one, WCE vs GCS as well.
Rd 14: n/a
Rd 15: There were a few close ones,Geel vs Ess and Bris vs North probably the best two.
Rd 16: For everyone bar Pies supporters, GCS vs Coll, I guess, poor old Clinton Young and that dropped mark.
Rd 17: n/a
Rd 18: Cats holding off GWS in a close one, Bulldogs rued the one that got away vs Essendon.
Rd 19: Wasn't a high quality game, but us getting over Port was a good tussle, as was Freo escaping vs Carl.
Rd 20: Geelong vs Fremantle was a really absorbing contest, had everything, including a Pavlich poster and Mundy's near miss at the death.
Rd 21: Fremantle vs Haw the game of the round, high intensity, Geel vs Carl, Rich vs Adel, Ess vs WCE all close.
Rd 22: Coll vs GWS didn't necessarily reach any great heights, but it was close, both teams coping with injuries.
Rd 23: Rich vs Syd (didn't see the Carl vs Ess draw, but you´d think it would have been entertaining, too)

Last edited:
Despite the facts it's incredibly weird that you've rewatched all hawthorns games, saints vs freo is fun.

I will absolutely cop that. Wife thinks I'm a bit of a nutter, really.

Isn't football season over already? And these bigfooty blokes aren't helping.

Well, perhaps not from her point of view, but from mine, this is great. Thank you all.

Saw the Saints vs Freo game the first time around, but agree that would definitely make my list. Just the way a team can go from making a strong start, to having a real good patch, to thinking maybe they've got a sniff, to thinking they might be able to hold on when the inevitable comeback happens, to absolutely shutting the door was amazing to watch. Don't know that I've ever seen such an overwhelming favorite get overwhelmed like that. In any sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back