Which player are you most worried about leaving your club?

Remove this Banner Ad

Josh Walker. He's really being squeezed with the recruitments of Clark and Stanley.

The last 3 games of last season, including finals, I thought he really showed something. I haven't been as excited about a prospect at Geelong since Jnr's first handful of games.

If he's starved of opportunities and goes elsewhere, I think it will be a huge loss moving forward for the Cats.

Hmmmm

Boak: Demonstrated commitment despite Geelong throwing the sink at him at our low point.
Gray: Contract extension.
Wines: Contract extension.
Wingard: No interest in leaving Adelaide.
Trengrove: Committed to contract during our worst ever year.
Polec: Recently arrived home via "go home" style trade.
Hombsch: Local boy, recently traded in.
Hartlett: Local boy, stuck fat with him through injury
Broadbent: Local boy, slow burner, may go under radar.
Ebert: Recently arrived home via "go home" style trade.
Jonas: Local boy, same as Broadbent.

That's the core of our younger players.

Westhoff: Local boy, unlikely to move.
Schulz: Arrived back home and settled, likely to finish career at Port.
Carlile: Doubtful, a no fuss player who just goes about his business, can't see another club that would value him more than we do.

So overall I'm pretty confident we should hold the list together for a while. Any other players not mentioned I think could be replaced. Wingard would be the biggest loss, but whilst he has stated he doesn't want to leave, it is also a known factor he isn't a big fan of AFL, just loves to play. Hopefully he can develop a connection to the club.

Last edited:
Hmmmm

Boak: Demonstrated commitment despite Geelong throwing the sink at him at our low point.
Gray: Contract extension.
Wines: Contract extension.
Wingard: No interest in leaving Adelaide.
Trengrove: Committed to contract during our worst every year.
Polec: Recently arrived home via "go home" style trade.
Hombsch: Local boy, recently traded in.
Hartlett: Local boy, stuck fat with him through injury
Broadbent: Local boy, slow burner, may go under radar.
Ebert: Recently arrived home via "go home" style trade.
Jonas: Local boy, same as Broadbent.

That's the core of our younger players.

Westhoff: Local boy, unlikely to move.
Schulz: Arrived back home and settled, likely to finish career at Port.
Carlile: Doubtful, a no fuss player who just goes about his business, can't see another club that would value him more than we do.

So overall I'm pretty confident we should hold the list together for a while. Any other players not mentioned I think could be replaced. Wingard would be the biggest loss, but whilst he has stated he doesn't want to leave, it is also a known factor he isn't a big fan of AFL, just loves to play. Hopefully he can develop a connection to the club.

Sounds like Wingard would be more likely to go to a metro or country league than go to another AFL club.

Josh Walker. He's really being squeezed with the recruitments of Clark and Stanley.

The last 3 games of last season, including finals, I thought he really showed something. I haven't been as excited about a prospect at Geelong since Jnr's first handful of games.

If he's starved of opportunities and goes elsewhere, I think it will be a huge loss moving forward for the Cats.
I'm surprised that Kersten and Walker didn't hand in trade requests (particularly to teams like Brisbane and the Dogs who need KPP depth) with Clark and Stanley coming in who would probably take away their senior game time if they stay fit.

Jordan Roughead

Need him to sign on, he's the vice-captain now and is one of the main voices of the club, and excluding fringe rucks in Ayce Cordy and Tom Campbell our only KPP in the right age bracket with plenty of experience. Roughead signing on would show positive intent going forward and could be the instigator for Dahlhaus and Wood to recommit, however if we lost the latter there would be others to replace them through draft/trade/whoever we already have, but losing Dahlhaus would be a PR/marketing disaster as he's a fans favourite.

I'm surprised that Kersten and Walker didn't hand in trade requests (particularly to teams like Brisbane and the Dogs who need KPP depth) with Clark and Stanley coming in who would probably take away their senior game time if they stay fit.

That's why I couldn't see the logic in getting both of them when you saw how Walker finished the season off.

Sounds like Wingard would be more likely to go to a metro or country league than go to another AFL club.

Not kidding when I say I'm more scared of Wingard playing basketball than playing for another club. He's said numerous times if he could, he'd be playing BBall over AFL. So happy he's a midget.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just locked him up! Shows a fantastic example for the young ones at the club now, and these little shoots of positive action at the club now will hopefully make the difference in the future.

That's why I couldn't see the logic in getting both of them when you saw how Walker finished the season off.

They are 200cm+ and can ruck while Walker isn't and shouldn't.

Still its not all gloom for Walker, 12 months time McIntosh and Rivers retires, if Simpson goes down(which is quite likely) then Clark is the number 1 ruck, Blicavs becomes the third KPD, Stanley the second ruck and that leaves Walker and Vardy fighting for the second KPF role.

Easily Todd Goldstein. When his current contract expires he becomes a fee agent and if we lost him we have no one to replace him on our list at the moment. IIRC the rumour at the time was that he signed a shorter term deal than was initially offered because the club didn't offer him the wages he was after. I can imagine that there will be some fierce negotiating between the club and his agent when his current deal is near its end.

They are 200cm+ and can ruck while Walker isn't and shouldn't.

Still its not all gloom for Walker, 12 months time McIntosh and Rivers retires, if Simpson goes down(which is quite likely) then Clark is the number 1 ruck, Blicavs becomes the third KPD, Stanley the second ruck and that leaves Walker and Vardy fighting for the second KPF role.

Clark shouldn't ruck either with his foot injury history.

Clark shouldn't ruck either with his foot injury history.

Have you seen his ruck work in the NAB cup?

He won't hold down a ruck role this year, he'll probably get less than 5 hitouts per game. But he'll move into more into the middle next year especially if one of our other forward options(Walker, Stanley, Vardy and even Kersten) stands up and pulls a Josh Jenkins.

Have you seen his ruck work in the NAB cup?

He won't hold down a ruck role this year, he'll probably get less than 5 hitouts per game. But he'll move into more into the middle next year especially if one of our other forward options(Walker, Stanley, Vardy and even Kersten) stands up and pulls a Josh Jenkins.

He's Geelong's best ruck and he has a history of injury, particularly to his foot.

We'll have to wait and see how long before one of Geelong's other rucks breaks down again. They'll step Mitch up, he could break down and they can throw him on the s**t heap with the rest of the broken down ruck stocks on the list.

Anyway, it's neither here nor there for me. No matter what he produces for the club, I haven't liked his recruitment. He's ****ed over Brisbane, probably Freo and Melbourne.

That's just my take on it though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back