Prediction Which player would you like to prove the critics wrong in 2016?

SideysBottom

Senior List
Oct 23, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've been thinking about which players on the list were going to struggle to hold their spot, like Toovey, Frost, Blair etc, who of them were likely to prove they still have what it takes to play at the highest level.

I'm going to pick a senior player who I believe will bounce back. My player would be Jack Frost. I understand he doesn't play with an attacking mindset, but he's reliability and willingness to play team defence will probably prove valuable to a side on the improve from last year. It's too early to put a cross next to his name, hopefully he can play on Franklin or Tippett in Round 1 and nullify their impact.

Any player that comes to mind, the choice in entirely up to you.

Prestige Presti

Team Captain
Sep 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
In an ideal world, i'd like all our players to prove their critics wrong, but obviously that can't be the case.

So i'd like to single out Toovey, Blair and Goldsack, those three make up for all their deficiencies by playing their guts out every week and giving 110% almost every time they play, with only skills and in some regard, injuries letting them down.

They have been fantastic servants of the club, all coming from late picks, and their journey to this point has been an incredible achievement, a journey which I hope continues for many years to come.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ben Reid = we make finals in 2016

Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man. U, Chicago Bulls, Ολυμπιακός
To "bounce back" would mean having a decent amount of talent to begin with. We've seen all Frost has to offer, what you see is what you get. He's a player who is very easily exposed by a semi-decent opponent or a semi-decent gameplan, so yeah nah, I doubt Frost will show any more than he has.

My guess is probably Reid, but not sure that counts because he's been held back by injury, not talent.

Elliott? Didn't have a great 2015, wasn't poor by any stretch of the imagination but I don't feel he got anywhere near what he is truly capable of, and with the progression of the team as well as our inclusions, I feel like Elliott will be under some genuine threat to assert himself in the side.

I'd say Cloke....but....you know.

Frost - Really doesn't have to bounce back as he played 42 senior games in the last 2 seasons. Has really tracked well for a young inexperienced KPB. It's unusual for someone at his level to have played almost his entire career on principal KPF. No 3rd tall role for Frosty. He understandably dropped off a bit but now has 40+ games, has good physical attributes and should be ready to take a big step up in perofrmance in 2016. I expect him to hold down CHB all season

Toovey - Maybe he plays maybe he doesn't. He is a hard nut and I think will have a big season in the seniors

Blair - Best 22 til knocked out. May happen this year but if it does it wont be because he lacked application. Love what Blairy brings

I'd love to see Clokey stick it up a few critics....as good a player as he's been for us people still expect more.
I'd love to see him kick 75-80 goals and get his strut going.

I agree with this. He's probably the player from our team who has the most critics across the competition, because of how good he can be and no doubt because of how much he earns. And as nice as it'd be to have a player like Jessie White step up a gear, a firing (and accurate) Trav is something which would make us a considerably better side.

Prediction: Trav will boot 73 goals, 35 behinds, and will again take his place as the contested marking king.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Frost is what he is a stopper that doesn't have much more to give so I'm not sure he's the horse I'm betting on in this category.

I'll go with Langdon myself. He coasted for much of 2015, IMO, and seemed to play like a guy that knew he wouldn't get dropped. He definitely has another gear in him so I'm hoping he can hit back in 2016 to show me why I was so keen on him as a prospect in 2014.

Frost - Really doesn't have to bounce back as he played 42 senior games in the last 2 seasons. Has really tracked well for a young inexperienced KPB. It's unusual for someone at his level to have played almost his entire career on principal KPF. No 3rd tall role for Frosty. He understandably dropped off a bit but now has 40+ games, has good physical attributes and should be ready to take a big step up in perofrmance in 2016. I expect him to hold down CHB all season
If Reid and Brown are fit, I don't see it happening. Unless injury happens, Frost is going to have a hell of a hard time breaking in to the best 22.

Of course, this is assuming Reid plays defence as Buckley has recently said he would.

Wooljay

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2009
Omicron Persei 8
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Arsenal
100% Cloke.

Get him firing 60+ goals a season at a good conversion rate and we go well into September.

didaksrightfoot

Premiership Player
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Juventus
Jesse White

A firing White makes a huge difference to this team. A 25-30 goal season is Par (though better then most give him credit for), but if he could manage 35-40+ goals for the year and be a consistent marking target up forward (and kick a few more of those goals at key times) then he makes a big difference to our lineup:
- allows Reid to stay back. (where i think he is best suited)
- allows Cloke to roam more, finding more space, and not get stuck in those 1-1(or 1-2) contests in the goalsquare which arent benificial to the team.
- allows Moore to continue to be manned up by the oppositions 3rd tall defender, letting him continue to develop without too much pressure.
- it makes the decision re: backup ruck a lot easier. I just think weve looked better without both Grundy & Witts playing togethor. (although i still hope they are able to figure it out long term)

Jesse White

A firing White makes a huge difference to this team. A 25-30 goal season is Par (though better then most give him credit for), but if he could manage 35-40+ goals for the year and be a consistent marking target up forward (and kick a few more of those goals at key times) then he makes a big difference to our lineup:
- allows Reid to stay back. (where i think he is best suited)
- allows Cloke to roam more, finding more space, and not get stuck in those 1-1(or 1-2) contests in the goalsquare which arent benificial to the team.
- allows Moore to continue to be manned up by the oppositions 3rd tall defender, letting him continue to develop without too much pressure.
- it makes the decision re: backup ruck a lot easier. I just think weve looked better without both Grundy & Witts playing togethor. (although i still hope they are able to figure it out long term)

Well it's his Contract Year and I hear he plays well when his Contract is Coming Up for Possible ReNewing

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Frost is what he is a stopper that doesn't have much more to give so I'm not sure he's the horse I'm betting on in this category.

I'll go with Langdon myself. He coasted for much of 2015, IMO, and seemed to play like a guy that knew he wouldn't get dropped. He definitely has another gear in him so I'm hoping he can hit back in 2016 to show me why I was so keen on him as a prospect in 2014.

I thought you might have gone with Oxley :p:eek::p:eek:

Lefthanded

Premiership Player
Sep 9, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Witts for me. Love how it was reported he was on the trade table and said he wants to stay and prove himself the number one ruck. As long as he and Grundy are both improving we have at least some edge on teams like Richmond and GWS who lack ruck depth.

The Magnificent Seven

Bucks Lockdown Beard, The Sherriff, Rrrooocccaaa
Jun 4, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
For me it's Faz. And the critics are mostly on this board.

When his head is right, he's both cocky and skilful and that's exactly the kind of magic you need sprinkled over a team of dependable workhorses. Didak had it, Medhurst had it, Leon had it - just the moves that you knew they were going to have a crack at but still were blown away when they pulled it off.

I don't care if his efforts aren't consistent this year, but as long as his worst is serviceable and his best is euphoric then I think it'll be a year to remember.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Witts, as I think we haven't seen him yet fully develop etc.

That said both Cloke and Reid going great guns, well.....

Back