Which team is closer to a flag: Richmond or North Melbourne?

Which team is closer to a flag?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see. So North youngsters are going to flourish and all become A graders, while the rest of the competition is left behind?

You have some state of the art development facility down there at arden street that no one can compare to...or even find?

This is all I hear from North Melbourne supporters. Their youngens are going to develop at a greater rate than the rest of the world and leave the entire league in their wake.

I don't know whether to laugh or take a s**t.

You could do both you know, while over rating your own players like every supporter of any team does.

We will just watch some finals wins of our own club to make us feel better regardless of how many angry tigs abuse us.

You could do both you know, while over rating your own players like every supporter of any team does.

We will just watch some finals wins of our own club to make us feel better regardless of how many angry tigs abuse us.
I actually put 20 on a north v tigers GF after the Roughead injury! This banter is good if we are going to be the next rivalry which is what I see, but it looks as if both sides have supporters incapable of general football discussion

I actually put 20 on a north v tigers GF after the Roughead injury! This banter is good if we are going to be the next rivalry which is what I see, but it looks as if both sides have supporters incapable of general football discussion

Yeah we do seem to love to hate each other, but like anything it's only the small minority who like to fling s**t at each other whilst ignoring the other persons answer entirely.

My best mate is a tigs member and we have very regular and never heated discussions about each others teams.

Making finals three years in a row? Making finals really shouldn't be a celebratory occasion. It's nearly half the comp. It's like being happy about buying all these kitchen utensils then realising you can't cook.

You're doing it wrong.

Making finals is the be all and end all.

Which goes to show that you don't indeed do football and that you view Jack Riewoldt through the prism of Big Footy cliche. As to your profound analysis that we lost the game because "North Melbourne are better than Richmond" congratulations on the depth and vigor of your analysis.

My own explanation is a bit different. You have a better midfield - with the best ruckman in the league and a number of big bodied extractors whereas our talent is overwhelmingly outside. On the day I believe our key position backs and forwards performed better than yours relative to opportunity, but that's no help to a team that is being smashed in the middle. That's why you have the wood on us. I could give you an analysis of why we have performed so well against Hawthorn as well and, guess what, it isn't because we are "better than them".

I get that you dislike Jack. You're entitled to. He has a personality that rubs opposition supporters the wrong way. I feel much the same about Boomer Harvey. But I would never be so infantile as to base an analysis of yours or any other team on such a subjective reaction.
Profound analysis is not needed, results speak for themselves. If by key backs and forwards you mean Rance and Jack then you might have a point, the rest were below average. My explanation is that you were beaten around the ball too easily (more so when Miles began to tire), your star players were either tagged out of the game or played poorly, you do not have the key backs to match it with all our 3 key forwards, you turned it over at crucial stages and we kept you in the game far longer than you should have been due to inaccuracy and some 50/50 frees.

I indeed 'do' football and when I played I preferred the team leaders to get around the playing group after kicking important goals, not standing around with Hulk Hogan poses waiting for everyone to pat them on the back. Especially at the start of the final quarter of an EF. Anyway, tolerate that crap all you like, good luck with it.

Both teams have a shot this year. Both teams need a little luck (win the close ones, fewer injuries etc) The 18-24 year olds in the team will dictate if either team jump up from the 5-8spot they're currently sitting at.

Going to be an interesting year, can it start already?

Both teams have a shot this year. Both teams need a little luck (win the close ones, fewer injuries etc) The 18-24 year olds in the team will dictate if either team jump up from the 5-8spot they're currently sitting at.

Going to be an interesting year, can it start already?

Tell me about it....just a little nab to start with will do!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thread title asked a question I gave my answer and you went for the low blow! Is this the bay now?
Im asking the same thing. It is a sad day when supposed mature people can not debate in an intelligent and articulate manner instead resort to dick measuring and abuse.

Congratulations.....you are the first idiot on BigFooty to claim that VFL Premierships are harder to win than AFL Premierships.

Well done :thumbsu:

Lol use your brains instead of your mouth if you can.

Its all relative, teams back in the VFL were still the best in the land with the best players in the land playing against each other the same as now, less teams back then meant the depth of comparative talent in each team was possibly better than it is now, added to that a lower percentage of teams made the finals back then with only one getting a double chance and you also played all the other teams twice, so no soft draws for any team.

So tell me what you think makes it harder for a team to win a flag say in Norths flag years of 1996 or 1999 than say Richmonds of 74 or75?

I didnt say a team from the VFL days would beat a team from today

Not sure how this thread turned into a history thread of the last 50 years.

But if so get back to me when the tigs finally win a final, 15 years and counting
So a history thread of the last 17 years is okay or not, as North have won pretty much the same as Richmond in the last 16 years, nothing, unless you collect DVD's of elimination finals wins of course.

You what now?

Richmond's 75?

In 75 North beat Richmond by 17 points in the finals to boot them out....

Fast forward 40 years and North Melbourne beat Richmond by 17 points in the finals to boot them out.

Id have to say north is closest to a flag on the basis they are closest to their next rebuild.

How far are the Dogs away from their next Prelim?

North's last two years is the equal of any period for the Dogs since their solitary flag.

Oldest North teams

AvAge|Year|Rd
\27.66|1944|15
\ 27.53|2015|EF
\27.51|1944|16
\27.43|1945|5
\27.41|2015|21 \27.35|2015|14 \27.34|2015|22 \27.30|2015|20 \27.23|2015|12
\27.20|1945|4
\27.20|2015|PF
\27.20|1944|12
\27.17|2015|11 \27.15|2015|10
Ron your a stats man take the 38 yr old Harvey out of those 2015 sides and how old does the team become.
I dont have the stats for now. But at the start of rnd one last year the average age of norths list was 25yrs and 30 days.Ours was 23 yrs 309 days.
Norths elimination final side was 27yrs 196 days ours was 25yrs 205 days. Again take out harvey just one player and that gap would significantly close.

Hawthorns ave age in the g/f was 27yrs and 304 days. Teams like hawthorn Sydney and Geelong are making a mockery of age debates and falling off of cliffs.
The real key is ensuring you have enough quality juniors coming into your club every year.Get this part right and you can afford to have 5 6 7 vets on your list .

I think free agency massive player movement and astute footy departments means you dont have to bottom out. If you have a hole in your list you can readily address the issue without foregoing a look at good juniors.

Ron your a stats man take the 38 yr old Harvey out of those 2015 sides and how old does the team become.
I dont have the stats for now. But at the start of rnd one last year the average age of norths list was 25yrs and 30 days.Ours was 23 yrs 309 days.
Norths elimination final side was 27yrs 196 days ours was 25yrs 205 days. Again take out harvey just one player and that gap would significantly close.

Their EF average drops to 27.06 which is a significant drop, but that's still a very old team (top 0.9% of all time). Factor in that the team will be six months older by Round 1, and the likely addition of Wells.

North simply can't put the same team on the park again without declining, but they shouldn't require wholesale change either. They're in a similar position to Geelong of a few seasons ago, sans recent premierships. How well they go will depend largely on Scott's ability to manage the transitions.
Hawthorns ave age in the g/f was 27yrs and 304 days. Teams like hawthorn Sydney and Geelong are making a mockery of age debates and falling off of cliffs.

Up to a point. Those were very good teams, and St.Kilda and the Bulldogs did go over the cliff at an earlier stage, and Carlton earlier again. The compromised drafts have certainly helped their cause.
The real key is ensuring you have enough quality juniors coming into your club every year.Get this part right and you can afford to have 5 6 7 vets on your list .

Finger needs to be right on the pulse. If a group of your vets go over the hill together, you're cooked for the short term.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back