NRL which team/s will finish top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's hard to believe that the Knights were Premiership favourites at one point during the pre-season.

I thought that was nuts but even I figured they'd make the eight reasonably easily. Now it looks like they'll struggle to even do that.

Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
Was looking at the ladder this morning.

Very interesting nearing the halfway point.

Melbourne 3 games clear of everyone, then only 2 games separates the next 9 teams.

Are Melbourne that much better than everyone? Or whilst clearly one of the best two or three teams, are simply tremendously consistent?

Also throws up the question of whether we can definitively tie down the top 4 (apart from Melbourne).

Look at my team, playing average football, well below our best.... Yet still winning. A team known to 'click' in the second half of the season, yet most will laugh if you suggest them as top 4 potential.

Those who support the other teams in this group of 8 could say similar about their clubs too.

Dunno, just seems the comp has once again thrown up a very very interesting year again.

I couldn't sit here and honestly rule any team out of it bar probably 4 clubs. Although you could make an argument agsinst anyone who sits below St George (who are in 10th)

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
... below St George (who are in 10th)

If you'd have said that last year... The change of coach doesn't seem to have done the Dragons any favours.

But to answer your question, yes, I think the Storm are quite a bit better. If Brisbane, who I find it hard to warm to, are the next best thing...

Under-achievers the Knights look set to be the disappointment of the year and join the Raiders and Roosters in the basement. The Titans and the Panthers have both showed positive signs in the last few weeks, and can perhaps have mid-table respectability as a realistic ambition.

As for the Tigers, I'm not convinced they've really got the squad. Their youngsters (Woods apart) look fairly ordinary compared to some of the promising talent being shown elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
What youngsters?

I'd classify Woods who is a star in the making & Curtis who made a solid composed debut as 'youngsters'

Almost everyone else has plenty of runs under the belt. Maybe BMM & Junior Moors? Moors clearly rooted Sheens missus and only gets a run when the moron has no other option. Guy can play a bit though.

We started similarly last year. & yet are sitting on 5 in a row, without the one good Englishman on the planet :)

Why would you consider Newcastle a dissapointment? Benny isn't a miracle worker. Needs time to sort the joint out.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
'Youngsters': I was mostly thinking of Miller and Humble. BMM is OK. Ayshford seems to have gone backwards this season.

I can think of several Englishmen who would certainly strengthen the Tigers squad right now. As you've already agreed with me, Lote should be put out to grass. Frankly there are several wingers in the ESL who are better than anyone the Tigers have on their books.

I do think the Tigers played pretty well agaisnt the Cowboys, but their '5 in a row' flatters them a little.

As for the Knights, the simple fact that thery are worse than last season, not better, is plenty enough to qualify them as a 'disappointment;' in my eyes. They seem to be trying to play the game without forwards, a fact they belatedly realised and made a rush-purchase of Willie Mason (!) and somebody or other else, I forget who.

Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
I was only teasing you. You bite everytime lol

But we have future stars in the 20's who could take over from Lote. Don't mistake the senile ones refusal to pick them as meaning they are no good. We don't need state cup quality from overseas.

Miller & Humble. Well yeah, not sold on Miller but he is still an under 20. Humble, interestingly one of our Parra supporting posters was quite upset he crossed in the offseason. If the stupid man would settle on a position for the kid he would be alot better off.

We will run the 2 5/8's model for the remainder of this year though. For now Benj/Ayshford but with Curtis going in as year progresses.

Anyway enough on the Tiges. My post wasn't an enticement to only talk about them.

------

I get what you are saying on Newcastle now. Fair point. Though they have taken some injuries this year.

You are clearly putting them in the no chance category, so we say Parra, GC, Newcastle,Easts.

Canberra and Penrith are likely no's too. Though both can perform on their day.

azza29

Team Captain
Feb 1, 2011
North Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
It's a ridiculously even season. Souths are in 4th this week - not sure what's going on there!

At this point Melbourne are the only team clearly in the top 8, and Parra and Penrith look like the only definites to miss out.

I'd suggest Melbourne are looking very good to take home another minor premiership. After that who knows, but my guess is Brisbane, Cronulla and Manly will round out the top four (in any order).

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
North Sydney, Liverpool, NSW
I think Easts should be in a better position than they are, should've at the least beaten Saints and had a rough run with officials against Manly (so what's new there). Wont make finals though, too young and inexperienced.

Brisbane have dropped three in a row and will want to turn their form around.

Manly arent as ruthless as they were under Des.

I think Cronulla might drop a bit as well, not enough points in them especially if something happened to Carney, although they'll never be an easy match.

Souths fill me with no confidence because they've looked good before and imploded spectacularly.

Something in me thinks the Warriors will come good.

Melbourne
Manly
Brisbane
New Zealand
Wests
Souths
Cronulla
Nth Qld

Maybe, can see Brisbane falling further and wests, souths, nth qld doing better than that

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
I think Souths are the real deal this year (yeah, I know... :) ).They are comfortably a better side than Manly right now in every department.

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I think Souths are the real deal this year (yeah, I know... :) ).They are comfortably a better side than Manly right now in every department.
Manly will be at full strength (probably) the back end of the season though, could very well come home strong. Souths concern me because they still leak easy points from time to time. They've shown a massive improvement in general but are yet to really put together a dominant performance (best performance was possible beating Canterbury).

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Souths concern me because they still leak easy points from time to time.

But not as bad as the Tigers, though. :p

Or, indeed, the Warriors, who can suffer from the same flaw.

Are Manly *that* weakened by injury? Tony Williams is out, I suppose, and K Foran is a long-time absentee (did he return prematurely?), but his big bro has done OK. All teams get injuries; I don't see why Manly merit special sympathy.

moto748

Premiership Player
Apr 19, 2010
Wigan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Wigan Warriors
Nobody here seems to rate the Cowboys much? I do. Only some Benji magic stopped them defeating the Tigers in the last round. In JT and Bowen they have two of the classiest acts in the NRL. Their youthful pack oozes go-forward. I could easily see them finishing higher than some much fancied sides here.

Is it cuz they is from Queensland? :p

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
But not as bad as the Tigers, though. :p

Or, indeed, the Warriors, who can suffer from the same flaw.

Are Manly *that* weakened by injury? Tony Williams is out, I suppose, and K Foran is a long-time absentee (did he return prematurely?), but his big bro has done OK. All teams get injuries; I don't see why Manly merit special sympathy.
No K foran for a period, other times missing both Stewarts, T Williams etc.

They've had key players missing is what makes it noticeable, I guess. Come back end of the season/finals any side with a fit Stewart x2, Matai, Lyon, Foran, Chery-evans, Williams and Watmough will be pretty dangerous.

Im far from Manly's biggest fan but their consistency has been affected by missing key players at certain times this season.

Bomber Bears

Cancelled
Sep 30, 2005
Wollongong
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Nobody here seems to rate the Cowboys much? I do. Only some Benji magic stopped them defeating the Tigers in the last round. In JT and Bowen they have two of the classiest acts in the NRL. Their youthful pack oozes go-forward. I could easily see them finishing higher than some much fancied sides here.

Is it cuz they is from Queensland? :p
moreso than some other sides they have the capacity for an awful performance and struggle away, particularly in Sydney. Decent team, struggle to rate them too highly

Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
They are no chance of winning finals in Sydney. Did our best to walk them to a win with all the penalties we gave away in the first 30 minutes of the second half and they couldn't capitalize.

Nth Qld should definitely be excluded from premiership calcs until they work out how to play in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back