Which team should I support?

Remove this Banner Ad

Big Mets fan myself, my father worked for a baseball clothing manufacturing firm and the first thing I got was a Mets jacket. Been loyal to them ever since. Watching us lose yet again to the Yankees live on Sunday morning wasn't much fun.

... "Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!!!!!" Don't listen to these guys who say National League is soooo much better than American League. "Oooooh, so much more strategy in the NL!!." Oh, please. All pitchers do is pitch so they never work on their hitting skills. They're essentially an automatic out. Conversely in the AL, there's a bona-fide hitter (usually a damn good one) to replace the pitcher in the batting order so that easy out just got a lot tougher. You actually have to play the game!!!! Ugh.

HEATHEN!!!

BURN HIM AT THE STAKE!!!

In all seriousness though, NL >>>>> daylight >>>>>> that bastardised offspring that is the AL ;)

And Cincinnati FTMFW!

Im actually in a similar boat at the moment, I played state level softball as a kid so the game really interests me and im getting more and more into it, watching it religiously when its on etc.

Quite enjoying watching the Cardinals at the moment (seeing a bit of them on ESPN and ESPN 2) but dont know if I should take that big step and pick a side or if I should wait a while.

As my profile says I follow Colorado in the NHL.

Im actually in a similar boat at the moment, I played state level softball as a kid so the game really interests me and im getting more and more into it, watching it religiously when its on etc.

Quite enjoying watching the Cardinals at the moment (seeing a bit of them on ESPN and ESPN 2) but dont know if I should take that big step and pick a side or if I should wait a while.

As my profile says I follow Colorado in the NHL.

Which did you play state for ? i played for SA a couple of times and man we were shite, we still are lol.

Being an Avalanche fan you may like the Rockies as well, haven't seen to much NHL over the last couple of years but from i remember the Avalanche had a young side with lots of talent and were in a rebuilding phase much like the Rockies are now. Carlos Gonzalez is one of the most exciting players to watch. If your enjoying watching the Cards then i'd say that could be your team.

Choosing a side to follow in a sport like baseball isn't easy if your the type of person like i am where i follow the teams my favorite player's plays for because there are so many player movements in baseball. If it wasn't forthe Major league movies i'd probably be still searching for a team to follow.

Choose what feels right to you, you will know when the time comes lol.

Do you mean 'if im enjoying watching the Cards' the cards are probably the team for me? or that the cards are similar to the rockies so I might like the rockies due to them being similar + the positives you outlined earlier?

The whole trade system with MLB is definitely something to get your head around, the whole trading good players mid season seems pretty backwards compared to the systems used in Australian sports. But it works.

American league wise have enjoyed watching the Angels. Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo are damn beasts.

Do you mean 'if im enjoying watching the Cards' the cards are probably the team for me? or that the cards are similar to the rockies so I might like the rockies due to them being similar + the positives you outlined earlier?

The whole trade system with MLB is definitely something to get your head around, the whole trading good players mid season seems pretty backwards compared to the systems used in Australian sports. But it works.

American league wise have enjoyed watching the Angels. Mike Trout and Mark Trumbo are damn beasts.

Yeah i meant if your enjoying watching them then they are probably the team for you, my writing gets confusing at times i think and write at two different levels :D

Really leaning toward the Cardinals I think.

Love the colours, the mascot/emblem, the history seems really rich to me (which as a North supporter is appealing), and am really enjoying watching them play, win or lose.

What kind of reputation do they have in baseball circles? Good guys, bad guys, dirty, clean, hard working?

Really leaning toward the Cardinals I think.

Love the colours, the mascot/emblem, the history seems really rich to me (which as a North supporter is appealing), and am really enjoying watching them play, win or lose.

What kind of reputation do they have in baseball circles? Good guys, bad guys, dirty, clean, hard working?

St. Louis is a one of the most respected organizations in MLB.....and I don't even like 'em. It's a team I've never liked, though I can't give you a reason why. Decent guys for the most part, solid play, skins on the wall, decent fans. Sure, I lived in Chicago and was a Cubs fan (still am, but Yankees always #1 for me)...but the Cards have always dominated the Cubs so that wasn't really a sticking point to me......I just expected the Cubs to lose whenever they'd play STL. Their rivalry is intense but pretty friendly. Tons of fans will make the trip to the others' park (~5 hour ride) and everyone gets along pretty well. Cincinnati is another story. There's some hate between the Cards and Reds and it has gotten testy in the last couple of years. Reds are solid this year...Cards are 6 games back. If it gets tighter, more chance for fireworks.

But the Cards have always been one of the best run teams in the league....and I think have the 2nd most World Series titles. They may have a bad year or two on occasion but that doesn't last long and they're never too far from contending. StL fans expect to be good every year.......Cubs fans just hope to rise up every decade or so. Pretty pathetic. Cubs have the ballpark, though. Not just better than STL...better than everyone.

If this is the team you go with, on one hand, I'll say we don't really need another Cardinal fan. But on the other...I can't tell you it's a bad choice.

Thanks for the input :) really appreciate your level headed response.

The 'success' isn't a sticking point for me, had no clue they were a successful team (World Series wise etc) when I started to lean toward them, but for the other reasons you've stated (decent fans, solid play) i'm really leaning more and more toward them.

No names that leap out at me on the roster like some of the other teams, but each player seems to give their all for a combined all round effort which I appreciate. (Not to say they don't have a big name, they may, just not one that i've heard alot about).

Thanks for the input :) really appreciate your level headed response.

The 'success' isn't a sticking point for me, had no clue they were a successful team (World Series wise etc) when I started to lean toward them, but for the other reasons you've stated (decent fans, solid play) i'm really leaning more and more toward them.

No names that leap out at me on the roster like some of the other teams, but each player seems to give their all for a combined all round effort which I appreciate. (Not to say they don't have a big name, they may, just not one that i've heard alot about).

Oh, they're successful alright. They used to be owned by Anheuser Busch (being owned by a brewery didn't hurt) but were sold for ~$150M back in the mid-90s. You're right...no huge names on the roster this year (closest thing that are Carpenter, Molina, Freese, Craig, Holliday, Berkman...very solid players, especially Freese/Craig/Berkan who came up big in last year's WS). They lost Fat Albert in the off season. Good for them for not shelling out nearly $30M a season to keep him. They pay top dollar for talent but that's insane.

Ugh...Cards a good team, but may I suggest a classic team in pinstripes with 27 World Series rings, sir????

As per my avatar, am a lifelong Red Sox fan - have been through the good times and the bad... Used to live in Boston (wouldn't you know it, I moved to Scotland in the summer of 2004 - the year that we finally ended the 'Curse'), but that aside I much prefer the NL to the AL. The only time I bother watching the AL is if Boston is involved - or in the Play Offs.

As much as I live the Red Sox, if I am not watching them play I much prefer the NL. If the Sox are not involved in the Play Offs (like this year, I dare say - 11 games back in the AL E & even with 2 WC spots I can't see it happening the kind of ball we are playing), I always prefer to see the NL teams do well & win the Series. Same with All Star games, or even if I'm looking at a casual game or the daily freebie on mlb.tv, much prefer watching NL ball as a neutral.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back