Which team underachieved the most in the modern era?

Which of these teams was the biggest underachiever during those years?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont get offended im not having a go, its just that they could very well be in this conversation.

Not offended just discussing

I think given list moves and season 2014 sydney was a massive flop

They escape a bit because hawthorn are so good

Yep definitely up there. There were talks of great dynasty after the win 2010 and their high percentage while going 20/2 in 2011, but failed to capitalise on their dominance, fire their coach and dropped away dramatically.

Surely with articles like this they should rate a mention:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eam-in-100-years/story-e6frf9jf-1226099319215

And it took 2 games in 2010. Not to mention the B2B failure against Brisbane. Then again they are the Colliwobbles.

I'd say Geelong underachieved. They are the best side I've seen. Even though they won 3 flags, it's sad that they didn't go 3 in a row. Compare that to hawthorn who are no doubt an amazing side, but they were no where near as good as Geelong.

Id say port were the best team out of the options

But saints underachieving

Remember they were preliminary finalists in 04 and 05? Too

Adelaide 2005 - 2006

Finishes: 1st, 1st (2006)
Preliminary Finals: 2
Grand Finals: 0
Premierships: 0

West Coast 2005 - 2007

Finishes: 2nd, 1st (2006), 3rd
Preliminary Finals: 2
Grand Finals: 2
Premierships: 1

They can't both have finished top in 2006.

But saints underachieving

Remember they were preliminary finalists in 04 and 05? Too
Yep, we were a very good team in 2004 and came out of the blocks like a shot out of a gun in the prelim that year, against Port, over in Adelaide, but then about half way through the first quarter, with us just dominating play, Gehrig kicked his 2nd goal for the game and 100th for the season, the crowd invaded and all our momentum evaporated. By the time the game restarted a few mins later, Port had pulled themselves together, we'd lost all our momentum and by quarter time we were only a goal up, when prior to the crowd invasion it had looked like we were on track to be 4 or 5 or more goals up by that stage. (The first 15 mins of that game was possibly the most scintillating footy I've ever seen us play.)

Ended up being a huge arm wrestle for the rest of the game and we lost by a goal. You guys then went on to win the flag the following week.

That was also our first year in the finals since 1998, so while we had a fantastic team on paper (much better than our Ross Lyon teams in 2009/2010) we hadn't experienced finals footy for 6 years, so it would have been a huge effort to win a flag under those circumstances.

The following year we just got poleaxed by injuries, so much so that I found some sport liftouts from that time a while back and one article just prior to the finals said that we were no chance to win the flag, due to the number of significant injuries we had. We still managed to make it through to the prelim though and were still leading Sydney in that game at 3/4 time, but had some more significant injuries in that game and just got run over badly in the last quarter. Like Port the year before, they then went on to win the flag (by a goal) the next week.

My mind boggles a bit when I think of what that mid 2000's team of ours could have achieved if we'd had someone of Lyon's quality coaching us, or even just if David Missen had been in charge of our fitness at that time, instead of Sydney's. He was incredible at keeping teams on the park (Sydney had about two injuries all year in 2005 and then when Missen followed Lyon from Sydney to St Kilda, we hardly had an injury in 2009 and didn't have many more in 2010).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No dynasty that won a flag is an underachievement imo. They could have and maybe should have won more flags like Essendon and Port, but they did reach the top at least once.

Adelaide to win two minor premierships and fail to make a grand final astounds me. Two home losses against non-SA teams in finals is nuts. Their list was really good, and maybe the best in those years. Eagles also standing next to them.

St. Kilda had an insane team as well, but the quality of other top sides at the time were also terrific. The Saints probably should have won a flag, but not as much as Adelaide should have.

Last edited:
No dynasty that won a flag is an underachievement imo. They could have and maybe should have won more flags like Essendon and Port, but they did reach the top at least once.

Adelaide to win two minor premierships and fail to make a grand final astounds me. Two home losses against non-SA teams is nuts. Their list was really good, and maybe the best in those years. Eagles also standing next to them.

St. Kilda had an insane team as well, but the quality of other top sides at the time were also terrific. The Saints probably should have icon a flag, but not as much as Adelaide should have.

Adelaide suffered Injuries at a really cruel time in 2006.

How about Geelong during the "in-between years"?

Gee Adelaide supporters would have been pretty dirty on the team. Two top finishes in a row and couldn't even make a grand final

Yep definitely up there. There were talks of great dynasty after the win 2010 and their high percentage while going 20/2 in 2011, but failed to capitalise on their dominance, fire their coach and dropped away dramatically.

Surely with articles like this they should rate a mention:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...eam-in-100-years/story-e6frf9jf-1226099319215
Essendon were regularly talked about as the GOAT team - should have won in 1999 and lost the GF in 2001. I'd have them before the Pies. Also St Kilda who were talked up throughout he 2000's yet came home with nothing. To me they were the greatest underachievers of this era.

St Kilda (2008-10) and as much as it pains me to say it, the Crows (2005-06) for me.

Essendon, Port and West Coast still managed to convert their success into grand final appearances and a premiership. Bulldogs and Freo were unlucky but for the most part weren't among the best 2 sides in the league through their peaks so can't be considered to have underachieved.

St Kilda (2008-10) and Adelaide (2005-06) on the other hand were the clear stand out sides during the regular season, and fluffed their lines when the opportunity came to convert that dominance into silverware.

Essendon were regularly talked about as the GOAT team - should have won in 1999 and lost the GF in 2001. I'd have them before the Pies. Also St Kilda who were talked up throughout he 2000's yet came home with nothing. To me they were the greatest underachievers of this era.
Whats wrong with them being talked up? Anyway that side has been surpassed by Geelong, Hawthorn and Brisbane. I'd argue that if we had won it in 99, we wouldn't of backed up in 2000. It was mostly motivation that made us produce the season we did. It will go down as the best season by a side, but no where near GOAT. Geelong could've matched us in 2008, but stuffed it up on the big day. I'm happy we snagged one.

Adelaide (2005-06) on the other hand were the clear stand out sides during the regular season, and fluffed their lines when the opportunity came to convert that dominance into silverware.

Adelaide won two finals in two years, one of them against 8th placed Port. That's pretty bad.

Back