Which up & coming Victorian club will be next to win a flag?

Next "young" Vic club to win a flag will be.....?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

ZAAHAARAKIS!!!!!

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2011
The Scott Gumbletrain
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Nick O'Brien
Has had a lot of injuries though. Played some absolute blinders this year but didn't finish the season well except for the Adelaide game.

You're under selling Dempsey's year. How many players come back and play their best footy the year they come back from a knee reco? He'll come back even better next year

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As soon as people start making lists... FWIW I thought mufassa's effort was actually pretty much OK.

IMHO this is not quite right (for Essendon) - the major thing we really can't predict is development from within. Will Kavanagh come through? Do Howlett & Zaharakis continue their improvement? Can Myers continue with the same form? etc etc.
As many as half a dozen guys who started this year in our best 22 were done by rd 23, and it could be a completely different looking line-up by rd 1 this year.

I don't know if there really is a silver bullet type recruit that'll change things for us, although there's plenty who would be handy.

The variance of our draw is pretty limited - we'll have two games against Pies, Blues, only leaves 2-3 games to be decided as we have either Hawks or Tigs twice every year.

North could either get treated like a top 6 team or get the scraps no-one else wants as they did this year. Could make as many as 2-3 wins difference, crucial in the wash-up.

We will get the scraps again. Essendon's draw is hard or easy depending on how well Pies, Blues, Rich and Hawks are going. Great when Pies and Blues finish last and 2nd last - tough when they are good.

Our 5 teams that we played twice were 3 interstate teams which all had low crowds to watch our home games, 1 low drawing Vic club and 1 high drawing Vic club. Will be the same again.

I am tipping another good draw based on the low drawing clubs are not that strong.

ZAAHAARAKIS!!!!!

Club Legend
Sep 2, 2011
The Scott Gumbletrain
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Team Nick O'Brien
Hayes just won the Saints B&F.

You could definitely argue that he's had better years though, 09 and '10 definitely were for mine.

Richo kicked 91 goals the year he came back from a knee reco.

Was amazing in that year, no disputing that.

My point is that not many come back and immediately hit top form (as dempsey played his best footy early after he got over the dodgy hammie)

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So you two wouldn't give a player a little bit of leeway when they finish the season poorly after coming off a knee reco?

Would not have him in your top 12 players before reco or after. Middle of the road player that can show flashes of brilliance.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Would not have him in your top 12 players before reco or after. Middle of the road player that can show flashes of brilliance.

That can be partly attributed to his multitude of other injuries.

Besides this all started from Essendon's trade of Richards for Pick 17 (Dempsey) is a better trade than Richmond's Schulz for Mitch Farmer and Pick 71 (Nason) and I said that Dempsey is in for a big year. It's not like I'm saying we have Demspey therefore Essendon should win this poll.

As did Richmond and North.
You responded to something i posted so long ago I can't even remember the context it was meant to be in

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That can be partly attributed to his multitude of other injuries.

Besides this all started from Essendon's trade of Richards for Pick 17 (Dempsey) is a better trade than Richmond's Schulz for Mitch Farmer and Pick 71 (Nason) and I said that Dempsey is in for a big year. It's not like I'm saying we have Demspey therefore Essendon should win this poll.

Multitude of injuries? He has played 20 games in 3 of the last 4 years??

Pre reco and post reco there is not much difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Thats a bit harsh, Myers would easily get into your midfield as you lack tough inside mids. Who have you got besides Priddis? I know you told me Kerr in a PM, but hes kind of a midget.

Shuey is a tough inside mid. Priddis, Kerr, Shuey, Selwood, Embly, Gaff and Rosa before Myers - who would be battling with Masten as depth.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Shuey's not *that* tough. Good inside, crucial to their set-up but he's more likely to squirt out the front of clearances & dodge tackles, he's not a real brute over the ball.
Priddis & Kerr would be the only guys really competing head-to-head with Myers.

Thats a bit harsh, Myers would easily get into your midfield as you lack tough inside mids. Who have you got besides Priddis? I know you told me Kerr in a PM, but hes kind of a midget.
No he wouldn't.

R: Natanui, Kerr, Shuey
C: Gaff, S.Selwood, Rosa
Priddis, Masten and Embley rotating through.

Myers COULD push Embley out but I don't rate Myers.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Shuey's not *that* tough. Good inside, crucial to their set-up but he's more likely to squirt out the front of clearances & dodge tackles, he's not a real brute over the ball.
Priddis & Kerr would be the only guys really competing head-to-head with Myers.

Selwood?

Shuey averages 5.5 clearances Myers 2.4. Contested possies - Shuey 9.9 Myers 6.7. Shuey would not complete with Myers as he is in a whole other league. Masten is his level.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Myers would struggle to walk into any side but how many young players who do their hammy every 5 weeks would?

Myers has shown positive signs as an inside midfielder with a massive kick and is rated highly by the coaches.

Back