Which up & coming Victorian club will be next to win a flag?

Next "young" Vic club to win a flag will be.....?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2 of the sides have something approaching a ruck division for the next 5 years, Ess & Nth Melb.
More than happy with Martin, Gawn and Clark pinch hitting in the ruck.

looking at each teams list and 2011 form and being as impartial as I can i see it like this:

Best Forward line: Essendon - Carlisle, hurley, crameri, hille, monfries. just need a good small forward or two. Dell'olio or colyer may be good enough. Jetta or davey aren't.
Richmond a close second.
Best Back line: Essendon - Fletcher(carlisle), pears, hibberd, dempsey, heppell, ryder. I would rather use ryder as our CHB than hooker but many would disagree.
Best rucks: Essendon - Hille, Ryder, Bellchambers, Daniher
Best Midfield: Richmond. Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Foley etc.
Essendon a close second with Watson, Hocking, Stanton, Lonergan as the experienced and reliable ones. And I expect a lot of improvement from Melksham, Zaharakis, Heppell and Caddy. Depth from howlett, jetta, colyer, Kavanagh etc.

Overall: Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne, North
Richomnd have the best forward line, Melbourne the best backline, North and Melbourne have better rucks and Bombers are third at best in the midfield stakes (North and Richmond well ahead)...

Not sure if that's the most impartial way of doing it.

Taking what I have above - those turning 27 this year, or younger - I'd say:

Midfield

Essendon: Watson, Stanton, Hocking, Zaharakis, Melksham, Howlett, Lonergan, Prismall
North: Wells, Swallow, Ziebell, Adams, Cunnington, Bastinac, Atley, Greenwood
Richmond: Martin, Foley, Cotchin, Grigg, Jackson, Edwards, White, Helbig
Melbourne: Moloney, Jones, Trengove, McKenzie, Gysberts, Bail, Jetta, Morton, Bennell

Ranked: North, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne.

Defence

Essendon: Hooker, Pears, Myers, Dempsey, Heppell, Hardingham, Hibberd, Slattery
North: Grima, Thompson, Tarrant, McMahon, Pederson
Richmond: Deledio, Rance, Houli, McGuane, Conca, Batchelor, Grimes
Melbourne: Frawley, Grimes, Garland, Tapscott, Strauss, Bartram

Ranked: Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond, North

Forward

Essendon: Hurley, Carlisle, Monfries, Jetta, Crameri, Colyer, Reimers
North: Thomas, Campbell, Hansen, Wright, Harper, Warren
Richmond: Riewoldt, Vickery, Nahas
Melbourne: Watts, Jurrah, Sylvia, Petterd, Bate, Clark, Dunn, Howe

Ranked: Melbourne, Essendon, Richmond, North

Ruck

Essendon: Bellchambers, Ryder
North: McIntosh, Goldstein
Richmond: Maric, Graham
Melbourne: Martin

Ranked: North, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne

Overall

Essendon, North, Melbourne, Richmond

Good list, and good way of looking at it. Disagree with the overall rankings, but I’m biased as every one is on this site.

From a Melbourne perspective you left out: Blease (mid/fwd), Gawn (Ruck), Tom McDonald (Ruck/fwd/back) and Lucus Cook (fwd/back) who are all very talented kids. Particularly Blease who is almost a forgoten man... Was bottom age in 2008 taken P17 and has only just completed his first full pre-season, played very well in the intra-club last weekend.

I have seen many different Essendon involved polls in my time at BF but never have I seen such bias.

You do not have the best forward-line.
You do not have the best midfield.
You do not have the best back-line.
You do not have the best ruckmen.

If I was to actually rank these separately, you wouldn't be very high.

In my opinion, Melbourne have the most upside out of all times, but that is all they have, potential. Whether they can harness that potential into physical output is unknown. Watts and Trengove will be out and out superstars.

North Melbourne have the best all-round team of the lot, the only concern with them is that some of their top-end players are getting old. Their midfield is probably equal first with Richmond's.

Essendon have a mix of both. They have a decent all-round list and a lot of potential. They also lack star power. Hurley is clearly headed for stardom but we have yet to see such heavy output from him to call him a star. I really like the look of Zaharakis, I think he will be a very good player.

I think Richmond is headed in the right direction, there are a few more obstacles. I don't think that anybody could rightfully say that after our best 5, our list drops off, because that is definitely not the case. After Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Deledio and Vickery, follows Conca, Tuck, Houli, Rance, Batchelor, Jackson, Foley, Newman and Grimes. Those players would all get games in any of those other 3 squads. I. Maric looked the goods in the NAB cup, destroying both McIntosh and Goldstein in ruck contests but I will reserve my opinion for later. I honestly think that we are best suited of the lot.

If I was to rank the teams by position, I would do it as such.
Backs: Melbourne, Ess (With Hurley), Rich, North.
Mid: Rich = North, Melb, Ess.
Fwd: Rich, Melb, Ess (Without Hurley), North.
Rucks: North, Melb, Ess, Rich.

If I tally up those results we come to...

Melb > Rich > North > Ess.

P.S: Teeko, you do not have Caddy.

I have seen many different Essendon involved polls in my time at BF but never have I seen such bias.

In my opinion, Melbourne have the most upside out of all times, but that is all they have, potential. Whether they can harness that potential into physical output is unknown. Watts and Trengove will be out and out superstars.

North Melbourne have the best all-round team of the lot, the only concern with them is that some of their top-end players are getting old. Their midfield is probably equal first with Richmond's.

Essendon have a mix of both. They have a decent all-round list and a lot of potential. They also lack star power. Hurley is clearly headed for stardom but we have yet to see such heavy output from him to call him a star. I really like the look of Zaharakis, I think he will be a very good player.

I think Richmond is headed in the right direction, there are a few more obstacles. I don't think that anybody could rightfully say that after our best 5, our list drops off, because that is definitely not the case. After Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Deledio and Vickery, follows Conca, Tuck, Houli, Rance, Batchelor, Jackson, Foley, Newman and Grimes. Those players would all get games in any of those other 3 squads. I. Maric looked the goods in the NAB cup, destroying both McIntosh and Goldstein in ruck contests but I will reserve my opinion for later. I honestly think that we are best suited of the lot.

If I was to rank the teams by position, I would do it as such.
Backs: Melbourne, Ess (With Hurley), Rich, North.
Mid: Rich = North, Melb, Ess.
Fwd: Rich, Melb, Ess (Without Hurley), North.
Rucks: North, Melb, Ess, Rich.

If I tally up those results we come to...

Melb > Rich > North > Ess.

P.S: Teeko, you do not have Caddy.

I have, this post. Actually nah, don't know if this post is bias or just plain delusional crap.

You have a go at Essendon supporters for being bias and post this, really? The only players of this list that would get a game at other teams for sure are Martin and Cotchin. Seriously you have a go at Essendon posters for being bias, and then go on to include Houli, Batchelor (don't mind this kid, but still a long way to go), Grimes and Tuck as players who would get a game at the other three sides? I wouldn't say Richmond are the best of the lot, I'd have North and Essendon ahead, but have the Tigers ahead of Melbourne. But seriously, you call Essendon supporters biased? Hahahaha

No because that would be illogical. I do believe however that Melbourne and North have better spread across the field with their younger developing players, but we'll see. Anything can happen in footy.

maybe it was the way your wrote it. i got the impression that the rich/ess kids cant/wont develop and dont have any quality. if you had said more depth of talent i may have agreed with you from a ricmond perspective.

I didn't say we did either.

I actually ranked them separately, and we were pretty high. Maybe you want to address reality and not your daydreaming head?

That's two players. You need 22 to make a side.

North Melbourne have the best all-round team of the lot, the only concern with them is that some of their top-end players are getting old.

They have the best team, but finished below Essendon on the ladder, and their best players are getting old. But somehow...

Their midfield is probably equal first with Richmond's.

Their midfield is far far better then yours. You have three players (Martin, Cotchin and Foley) and a lot of bit players.

After Martin, Cotchin, Riewoldt, Deledio and Vickery, follows Conca, Tuck, Houli, Rance, Batchelor, Jackson, Foley, Newman and Grimes. Those players would all get games in any of those other 3 squads.

Rance, Foley and Newman would get games with many sides, no doubt. But:

Houli couldn't get a game for us when we were 3rd from the bottom, he wouldn't get one when we're a finals side.

Conca has played 17 games of football and has been average. That is not to say he is not promising, but he is a developing player and a long way off being a walk up best 22 player in a finals side.

Tuck can't even get a game for you guys.

Grimes has played 8 games of AFL. You are delusional if you think there is any certainty in him.

For Batchelor see Conca, only worse.

Jackson is a fringe player for any finals side, not close to a walk up start.

I. Maric looked the goods in the NAB cup, destroying both McIntosh and Goldstein in ruck contests but I will reserve my opinion for later. I honestly think that we are best suited of the lot.

You've better rucks than everyone based off the most recent NAB cup game? Ok. Sure.

Good list, and good way of looking at it. Disagree with the overall rankings, but I’m biased as every one is on this site.
From a Melbourne perspective you left out: Blease (mid/fwd), Gawn (Ruck), Tom McDonald (Ruck/fwd/back) and Lucus Cook (fwd/back) who are all very talented kids. Particularly Blease who is almost a forgoten man... Was bottom age in 2008 taken P17 and has only just completed his first full pre-season, played very well in the intra-club last weekend.

Blease might be a good player but he has only played 5 AFL games total in his career. It's just not enough of a sample size to say anything for sure yet I feel.

I'll include him anyhow as he did get 28 touches in one of them. Albeit a meaningless match against GC.

Gawn has played 4 games without showing all that much, I'm not going to include him. McDonald has played only two and Cook is yet to debut.

That'd be like me including Daniher and Kavanagh for the bombers, it's just too soon to have any idea at all. To be looking to guys who have never even played a game as your 'future' shows a lack of depth in the squad at the moment.

2 of the sides have something approaching a forward line for the next 5 years, Ess & Rich.
1 of the sides has something approaching a midfield for the next 5 years, North.
2 of the sides have something approaching a backline for the next 5 years, Melb & North.
2 of the sides have something approaching a ruck division for the next 5 years, Ess & Nth Melb.

Seriously, none of these sides have won a final since what, 06/07.
Firmly in the "who knows" basket.
I'm surprised you don't rate our forward line. If it's Clark you don't like up there, than surely he constitues a future ruckman?

For me:

Backline: Melbourne
Midfield: Richmond
Forward: Essendon
Ruck: North M

Having said that, North may fall into second into the categories they didn't win (bar defence) so that's my choice

I have, this post. Actually nah, don't know if this post is bias or just plain delusional crap.

You have a go at Essendon supporters for being bias and post this, really? The only players of this list that would get a game at other teams for sure are Martin and Cotchin. Seriously you have a go at Essendon posters for being bias, and then go on to include Houli, Batchelor (don't mind this kid, but still a long way to go), Grimes and Tuck as players who would get a game at the other three sides? I wouldn't say Richmond are the best of the lot, I'd have North and Essendon ahead, but have the Tigers ahead of Melbourne. But seriously, you call Essendon supporters biased? Hahahaha

No doubt. Jack Riewoldt would just rot away in the VFL, Vickery chillin on the sidelines, Foley racking up 45 touches for Bendigo, Deledio smashing down hot dogs in the Ponsford Stand. ****en get a grip, and let's not forget that Hird was desperate to keep Houli (4th in our B&F last year), Newman is our current captain, and Grimes, Rance, Batchelor and Conca would all definitely push to get a game at a lot of other clubs.

Stupidest post I have ever read on bigfooty.

Grimes certainly ain't getting a game down here, not unless our captain pushes out a superior teammate. McDonald was our captain, like Newman, he wasn't highly fancied but was the in club choice.

Don't see Houli getting one here over Garland and Bartram, I was at the second Richmond vs Essendon game and that but of play at the end of the third quarter by him was utterly deplorable.

No doubt. Jack Riewoldt would just rot away in the VFL, Vickery chillin on the sidelines, Foley racking up 45 touches for Bendigo, Deledio smashing down hot dogs in the Ponsford Stand. ****en get a grip, and let's not forget that Hird was desperate to keep Houli (4th in our B&F last year), Newman is our current captain, and Grimes, Rance, Batchelor and Conca would all definitely push to get a game at a lot of other clubs.

Stupidest post I have ever read on bigfooty.

I didn't say the players you mentioned definitely WON'T get a game at the other clubs, I just stated that Martin and Cotchin are the LOCKS to get a game at the other three. Believe it or not, there are still idiots on this site that think Watson wouldn't get a game at the top clubs! Sure Hird was desperate to keep Houli, but his departure hasn't hurt us that bad, I say that because we didn't get any compensation for him but on the football field he isn't a big loss. Atleast read my post properly before you jump to conclusions such as 'stupidest post I have ever read on Bigfooty', because if you haven't read, the one above mine was the worst.

I'm surprised you don't rate our forward line. If it's Clark you don't like up there, than surely he constitues a future ruckman?
All the noise out of melbourne seems to be that Clark's the answer in the forward line. I rate him reasonably highly off what he showed 3 years ago in the ruck, but... that was 3 years ago and he's never got anywhere near it since.

FWIW I think this trade has Schwab's fingerprints all over it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't say the players you mentioned definitely WON'T get a game at the other clubs, I just stated that Martin and Cotchin are the LOCKS to get a game at the other three. Believe it or not, there are still idiots on this site that think Watson wouldn't get a game at the top clubs! Sure Hird was desperate to keep Houli, but his departure hasn't hurt us that bad, I say that because we didn't get any compensation for him but on the football field he isn't a big loss. Atleast read my post properly before you jump to conclusions such as 'stupidest post I have ever read on Bigfooty', because if you haven't read, the one above mine was the worst.

So Riewoldt wouldn't be a lock in any of those three sides?

Are either Ess or NM really up and coming? They have both been treading water for the last three years, and haven't had any top picks or landed any great recruits that says to me they will improve dramatically. Both may get a small rise with a better run with injuries, but that goes for most teams, and much more so Freo than either of these two.

I actually think the tigers have the best possible elite talent with Cotchin, Martin, Riewolt, Dids but really need to get some solid consistent second tier players, and continue to build a game plan away from kicking to Jack.

Melbourne I think are a bit better balanced than the tigs but I don't see their A-graders on the same level.

I guess I think the Tigers will probably have the best chance of pinching one out of the four before the GC, GWS super teams take over, although if the Dees can use their Scully compo picks well they could be there abouts in around 5-6 years.

Are either Ess or NM really up and coming? They have both been treading water for the last three years, and haven't had any top picks or landed any great recruits that says to me they will improve dramatically. Both may get a small rise with a better run with injuries, but that goes for most teams, and much more so Freo than either of these two.
I can't think of any recruit we've had who goes OK either.
None at all.

Was referring to the 11/12 off season, no low draft picks and no major trades landed.

On the plus side we haven't thrown away half our salary cap at a guy who doesn't like to play in his best position. Or pinned our hopes to a guy who played backup ruckman for a team that finished 14th.

But Mitch Clark is going to turn Melbourne from a rabble into a contender overnight, of course, and Ivan Maric is a god among ruckmen.

We had a pick before Melbourne, and only 4-5 after Richmond.
For comparison - we had 8 completely new players, Melbourne had 8 (incl Sellar and Clark), North had 7 completely new, Richmond had 11 (incl 2 Marics).

So Richmond are the only side of the 4 that went all that deep.

I'd agree we didn't dip *massively* into the draft or trade pool, but we still got a prety highly rated kid and we'll still be playing a lot of sub-50 gamers.

We've got two LTI slots open, for rookies to push for an upgrade. I'd expect 1-2 new faces come round 1 and more later in the year.

looking at each teams list and 2011 form and being as impartial as I can i see it like this:

Best Forward line: Essendon - Carlisle, hurley, crameri, hille, monfries. just need a good small forward or two. Dell'olio or colyer may be good enough. Jetta or davey aren't.
Richmond a close second.
Best Back line: Essendon - Fletcher(carlisle), pears, hibberd, dempsey, heppell, ryder. I would rather use ryder as our CHB than hooker but many would disagree.
Best rucks: Essendon - Hille, Ryder, Bellchambers, Daniher
Best Midfield: Richmond. Martin, Cotchin, Deledio, Foley etc.
Essendon a close second with Watson, Hocking, Stanton, Lonergan as the experienced and reliable ones. And I expect a lot of improvement from Melksham, Zaharakis, Heppell and Caddy. Depth from howlett, jetta, colyer, Kavanagh etc.

Overall: Essendon, North, Melbourne, Richmond

So basically Essendon have the best forward line, rucks & backline and are a close second for midfield. :cool:

FWIW Caddy doesn't even play for your team, so I call bullshit on your whole write up:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Richmond have all the pieces for a successful premiership run in the next 204 years. They have a future superstar midfielder (Martin), a Coleman Medallist (Riewoldt) and a solid defensive unit. Richmond the best chance over the rest

2 of the sides have something approaching a forward line for the next 5 years, Ess & Rich.
1 of the sides has something approaching a midfield for the next 5 years, North.
2 of the sides have something approaching a backline for the next 5 years, Melb & North.

Seriously, none of these sides have won a final since what, 06/07.
Firmly in the "who knows" basket.

Richmond's midfield is going to destroy the other 3 teams in the next 5 years.

Back