Which up & coming Victorian club will be next to win a flag?

Next "young" Vic club to win a flag will be.....?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
Stanton is now better than Wells and Swallow?

Stanton is not a player I would want at the Roos - watch our game last year - with a couple of minutes to go and the Roos leading by less than a kick - the ball was kicked to Stanton - who with minimal contact went to ground at Half Foward and we rebounded and kick the game winnig goal. Just a weak player when pressure is applied.
As I said, it gives a bloody good indication of who's worth listening to and who makes calls on guys off the odd single instance of stupidity.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As I said, it gives a bloody good indication of who's worth listening to and who makes calls on guys off the odd single instance of stupidity.

You think that is a one off? Going to ground under pressure? Turninig it over when it is really hot? If you don't recognise him as a nervous player then you must have been one of the few that were not happy he was subbed off the ground.

So which of Swallow or Wells is he better than?

HyperAgressiveDonk

Cancelled
Aug 6, 2008
Red Moon
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
City Middle & Angela Surf City
You think that is a one off? Going to ground under pressure? Turninig it over when it is really hot? If you don't recognise him as a nervous player then you must have been one of the few that were not happy he was subbed off the ground.

Neither IMO. Wells & Swallow are well ahead of Stanton.

Melbourne
North Melbourne
Richmond
Essendon

In that order. Though Richmond and Essendon are absolutely no chance in hell of winning a flag in the next 5 years. Melbourne & North Melbourne are probably 3 years away from competing for top 4.

The Richmond troll is back.:D

Tiges looking good with a young team now with some ruck options and a few defenders Ellis and Morris to sure up the backline.

Plus a bigger club than the Hawks even with all the heartbreak of the last 30 years.:cool:

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
HAD & KA disagree with me completely. Can't tell you how surprised I am!

We also disagreed with you when you bet your sig that Mark Williams would kick more goals than Drew Petrie in 2011 - 48 goals to nil. This type of bet shows the level of understanding that you have.

Now Stanton is better than either Wells or Swallow. Yep you are one to follow on here.

MikesTop50

Draftee
Suspended
Feb 25, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

I think Stanton is better than Wells, not sure why Essendon fans hate him so much. I'd have him at Melbourne any day.

No way is he better than Swallow though, he's an out and out gun.

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think Stanton is better than Wells, not sure why Essendon fans hate him so much. I'd have him at Melbourne any day.

No way is he better than Swallow though, he's an out and out gun.

Wells in 2011 went to level Stanton could never reach. This is why he made the AA squad and was in the top 10 in the coaches votes. Stanton does not have the ability to have a year like that.

Aug 16, 2006
My house
AFL Club
Essendon
We also disagreed with you when you bet your sig that Mark Williams would kick more goals than Drew Petrie in 2011 - 48 goals to nil. This type of bet shows the level of understanding that you have.
Oh really?
A bet, that I didn't even lose, with a different user, on the bay, is your only comeback. About sums you up, really.
I thought banned posters got a red if they were back under a new name.

Now Stanton is better than either Wells or Swallow. Yep you are one to follow on here.
Wells has been pretty disappointing for a good 2/3s of his career IMHO, very good the first half of this year but that'd be about the only time he's even been near Stanton.
Again he tailed off again towards the end of the year - whereas Stanton went from strength to strength after he came back from the collarbone.

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Wells in 2011 went to level Stanton could never reach. This is why he made the AA squad and was in the top 10 in the coaches votes. Stanton does not have the ability to have a year like that.
That level being 23.7 disposals a game?

Wells' 2011 was pretty overrated to be honest, it was a good year but not elite, I think it was overrated because it was so much better than what he had previously done

Also the fact he is aboriginal makes people think that he is some classy player who has the ability to do anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That level being 23.7 disposals a game?

Wells' 2011 was pretty overrated to be honest, it was a good year but not elite, I think it was overrated because it was so much better than what he had previously done

Also the fact he is aboriginal makes people think that he is some classy player who has the ability to do anything
Yet Wells got into to the AA squad judged solely on his 2011 form which was very good for the most part. I'm sorry but Stanton doesn't have the tools to replicate a season like that. Wells is quicker, silkier, more damaging and has genuine x factor.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Wells had a good 2011. Lauded because he'd done nothing much at all before that except tease.
Stanton had a good 2011. Copped a lot of s**t because he's been doing that every year since he joined the AFL and people always want more.

Code:
Player		Team	K		D		CP		DE%	Clg		CL		T		1%		G		Ga
			TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT
Daniel Wells	NMFC	312	14.9	492	23.4	187	8.9	73	49	2.3	94	4.5	80	3.8	49	2.3	17	0.8	21
Brent Stanton	ESS	343	16.3	521	24.8	186	8.9	72	59	2.8	76	3.6	116	5.5	34	1.6	15	0.7	21

mufassa

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 31, 2011
Torquay
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wells had a good 2011. Lauded because he'd done nothing much at all before that except tease.
Stanton had a good 2011. Copped a lot of s**t because he's been doing that every year since he joined the AFL and people always want more.

Code:
Player        Team    K        D        CP        DE%    Clg        CL        T        1%        G        Ga
            TOT    AVG    TOT    AVG    TOT    AVG    TOT    TOT    AVG    TOT    AVG    TOT    AVG    TOT    AVG    TOT    AVG    TOT
Daniel Wells    NMFC    312    14.9    492    23.4    187    8.9    73    49    2.3    94    4.5    80    3.8    49    2.3    17    0.8    21
Brent Stanton    ESS    343    16.3    521    24.8    186    8.9    72    59    2.8    76    3.6    116    5.5    34    1.6    15    0.7    21

Essendon fans are quick to point to Coaches votes to talk up Watsons start to 2011 - How about Wells clearly beating Stanton in the coaches votes? Or do we now only want to look at stats? I would prefer Wells to have 15 touches V Stanton having 25. Watch the Roos V Ess game last year to see how big the difference is between how these 2 use the ball.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Essendon fans are quick to point to Coaches votes to talk up Watsons start to 2011 - How about Wells clearly beating Stanton in the coaches votes? Or do we now only want to look at stats? I would prefer Wells to have 15 touches V Stanton having 25. Watch the Roos V Ess game last year to see how big the difference is between how these 2 use the ball.

No one is saying Wells didn't have a great year. If Wells had a year like 2011 every year he'd be up there with the best in the competition, and I'd have him over Stanton.

However 2011 is far and away Wells' standout year, so he'll need to repeat it a few times before I'm convinced that he's really found a new level.

Compare Wells' 2011 to his 2010:

Code:
Player		Team	K		D		CP		DE%	Clg		CL		T		1%		G		Ga
			TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT	AVG	TOT
D. Wells '11	NMFC	312	14.9	492	23.4	187	8.9	73	49	2.3	94	4.5	80	3.8	49	2.3	17	0.8	21
D. Wells '10	NMFC	246	12.9	396	20.8	128	6.7	76	39	2.1	39	2.1	43	2.3	33	1.7	15	0.8	19

(Wells is also 15 months older.)

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon

Its fine to say Wells uses the ball better but thats just a stupid statement

MikesTop50

Draftee
Suspended
Feb 25, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Looking at those stats, if I'm reading it correctly. It says Stanton averages more kicks and has the same disposal efficiency as Wells. Maybe you're overrating Wells kicking, or underrating Stanton's.

Stanton tackles more, Wells has more 1%ers.

Both equal on goals average.

Wells has more clangers? This one surprises me.

Maybe Wells just isn't as good as North fans think.

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon
Wells has more clangers? This one surprises me.

Maybe Wells just isn't as good as North fans think.

In 2011 Wells have 2.3 clangers a game. Stanton has 2.8. Both are quite low compared to other high possession getters.

Well's also improve his clearances a lot. Previous he was going at around 2 a game, but he bumped that up to 4.5 in 2011. Stanton also improved his clearances, but only to 3.6.

Wells had a good year. Significantly better than his previous years.

It's a shame the metres gained stat isn't readily available. I believe Stanton is in the elite for that in the competition, would be interested where Wells is.

MikesTop50

Draftee
Suspended
Feb 25, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I would imagine Wells would go pretty well (no pun intended) in meters gained. Possibly not as good as Stanton, but he had a fair bit of run and carry off the HBF in 2011.

Stan Darsh

Team Captain
May 29, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Let's not forget in Wells' last half a dozen games of the season he had a bung shoulder and was struggling to breath with blood clots in both lungs. He only averaged 18 possessions during that period, went out of the coaches association top 3 and lost a place in the All Australian midfield.

Prior to that the least possies in a game from him was 18! In bloody inclement conditions up in Brisbane. It was an immense first 2/3 of the season, way better than anything Stanton has ever done.

HurleyTheFuture

Club Legend
Sep 4, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Let's not forget in Wells' last half a dozen games of the season he had a bung shoulder and was struggling to breath with blood clots in both lungs. He only averaged 18 possessions during that period, went out of the coaches association top 3 and lost a place in the All Australian midfield.

Prior to that the least possies in a game from him was 18! In bloody inclement conditions up in Brisbane. It was an immense first 2/3 of the season, way better than anything Stanton has ever done.
Wells was never going to be in the AA team
I would argue Stantons second half of the season was just as good as wells first half

lamaros

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 15, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Essendon

Wells averaged 23.5 touches from round 1-17. He was very impressive, but don't get carried away.

Stanton came back from injury (which he played through in the first part of the year) in round 13 and from then on he averaged ~28 touches - with the fewest being 21 - and kicked a goal a game.

Back