Opinion Which WA lad to try and poach?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they are in a great situation, especially if they go the tank. They should have a pick in the 5-7 range, and it is unlikely that he will attract a bid before that as it seems to be the border of his range. Gives them a chance to get Pickett and Waterman, and by the sounds of things both would be capable of playing sooner rather than later. There is another Waterman developing and there is a Matera coming through as well.

With their horrible shitfulness this year, I can see the Weags doing this sooner rather than later. They are experts at sending players off for 'season ending surgery' and then relying on injuries to justify their tanking. Dirty cheats. ;)

I've chucked another in for you Willow in the Josh Bootsma thread "apparently the girls mum went nuts when she saw his pic"...emphasis being on nuts.
not that I want to see it, but I wonder if skinny Josh has straight hair "down there" to contrast with his cranial bouffant?
sorry

Not a WA boy or plays for a team atm. But what about young Jake Lever Key defender prospect for Vic Metro, he had a knee reconstruction at the beginning of the year meaning he will miss all of this years under 18 games to show whether he can be drafted he had been touted as a top 10 pick this year so if we can pick him up i reakon it could be a steal?

Not a WA boy or plays for a team atm. But what about young Jake Lever Key defender prospect for Vic Metro, he had a knee reconstruction at the beginning of the year meaning he will miss all of this years under 18 games to show whether he can be drafted he had been touted as a top 10 pick this year so if we can pick him up i reakon it could be a steal?

Is it a risk having our two key positions players at each end (CHB,CHF) both having had knee reconstructions?

Bit of talk around from Carlton supporters in the know that Jeff Garlett is having some family issues and looking to come back to WA at the end of the year. His form has suffered as a result and he has again been dropped from the team this week. If trying to turn Simpson around doesn't come off I would be keen to look at this - Jeff is another ideal player for Subiaco and our rebound game and with him and Hill and Pearce doing this (one off the HBF probably) it would be havoc for opposition teams with that skill and pace. Seems at present we could get him for less than he is really worth - turns 25 in August apparently.

I don't think he is a bad player or anything but he is probably just a bit one dimensional for my likings. He seems to only be able to play deep forward from what I have seen anyway. I think with Walters and Ballantyne there he wouldn't get a game. Add to that we have Crozier who is waiting in the wings.

Bit of talk around from Carlton supporters in the know that Jeff Garlett is having some family issues and looking to come back to WA at the end of the year. His form has suffered as a result and he has again been dropped from the team this week. If trying to turn Simpson around doesn't come off I would be keen to look at this - Jeff is another ideal player for Subiaco and our rebound game and with him and Hill and Pearce doing this (one off the HBF probably) it would be havoc for opposition teams with that skill and pace. Seems at present we could get him for less than he is really worth - turns 25 in August apparently.

Someone that quick would be fantastic running back to an empty forward fifty as long as he has the fitness to put in the 100m press and return at top speed.

Garlett can run both ways and would flourish under some more guidance and coaching under the likes of RTB, I'd be keen. Who says you'd have to lose quality to gain quality. Duffy goes, the door opens for Garlett.

Shame about Bennell re-signing with GC until 2017. He'd be a free agent by then, surely? If not under current legislation, after new legislation to be determined between now and then. :)

Last edited:
I don't think he is a bad player or anything but he is probably just a bit one dimensional for my likings. He seems to only be able to play deep forward from what I have seen anyway. I think with Walters and Ballantyne there he wouldn't get a game. Add to that we have Crozier who is waiting in the wings.

OUT: Crozier
IN: Garlett

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gotta risk it for the biscuit if your talking about Aspeness look how hes turnt out hes playing some good footy in the 2nds.
On the other hand you could end up with a Morrabito or Menzel who go on to have 3 and 4 (respectively) consecutive knee recos.

We'd have to toughen Garlett up a bit first, I doubt there's a softer player in the AFL at the moment.

Actually, second softest probably. I forgot about Gaff.

Very much the same knock on Danyle before he came across but he has changed his game now. Easier to change a players attitude to that than changing them into an elite kick and is part of it Carlton culture? - Murphy, Gibbs dissapear when the tough stuff starts as well. Thought Garlett could play up the ground as well on the outside but yes kicking to him running back towards goal on the rebound... Crozier is waiting in the wings for this spot but could also be the player we traded to get Garlett. Walters can play mid - RTB previously said he planned on playing him there more when Simpson was ready to play up forward. So you would end up with Walters/Hill/Pearce playing mid to HBF kicking up to Ballas and Garlett running back towards goal/crumbing.

You would think though that WC would also be interested in Jeffy given the bunch of midfield spuds and having no genuine small forward so.

We'd have to toughen Garlett up a bit first, I doubt there's a softer player in the AFL at the moment.

Actually, second softest probably. I forgot about Gaff.
The sad thing is if I was to look at soft players from Carlton wouldn't even think of Garlett but yes he's soft. Not worth the salary cap space he'd take up IMO.

Very much the same knock on Danyle before he came across but he has changed his game now. Easier to change a players attitude to that than changing them into an elite kick and is part of it Carlton culture? - Murphy, Gibbs dissapear when the tough stuff starts as well. Thought Garlett could play up the ground as well on the outside but yes kicking to him running back towards goal on the rebound... Crozier is waiting in the wings for this spot but could also be the player we traded to get Garlett. Walters can play mid - RTB previously said he planned on playing him there more when Simpson was ready to play up forward. So you would end up with Walters/Hill/Pearce playing mid to HBF kicking up to Ballas and Garlett running back towards goal/crumbing.

You would think though that WC would also be interested in Jeffy given the bunch of midfield spuds and having no genuine small forward so.
They'd also love his speed. Currently, half their mids would lose a 30m sprint to a pensioner in a walking frame.

Garlett can run both ways and would under some more guidance and coaching, I'd be keen. Who says you'd have to lose quality to gain quality. Duffy goes, the door opens for Garlett.

Shame about Bennell re-signing with GC until 2017. He'd be a free agent by then, surely? If not under current legislation, after new legislation to be determined between now and then. :)

Yep, I am on board. People sometimes under-estimate the difference a player with real speed can make to a team especially on the rebound which RTB teams are built on. With correct coaching he would be a real boost. Bring him home! if not him then Yarren!

What is everyones thoughts on Kamdyn McIntosh from Richmond? Originally from Peel he is a 192cm defender/utility player who hasn't managed to play a senior game as yet but its only his second year. He is out of contract at the end of this year so would come quite cheap. I remember taking a likening to him in his draft year and hoping that we would grab him. In the year he was drafted he was playing as a tall mid/wingman so he has got a bit of versatility.
I think he would be worth giving up our 2nd or 3rd round draft pick for.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back