Freo_4eva

Premiership Player
Sep 5, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont, San Antonio, ND Irish
Bit of talk around from Carlton supporters in the know that Jeff Garlett is having some family issues and looking to come back to WA at the end of the year. His form has suffered as a result and he has again been dropped from the team this week. If trying to turn Simpson around doesn't come off I would be keen to look at this - Jeff is another ideal player for Subiaco and our rebound game and with him and Hill and Pearce doing this (one off the HBF probably) it would be havoc for opposition teams with that skill and pace. Seems at present we could get him for less than he is really worth - turns 25 in August apparently.
The guy dropped his head backing back 3 times in the same game last week.. I know marking isnt his first port of call, but I cant see RTB overly keep on a bloke who hears Casper the friendly ghost around every corner

eddy2918

Cancelled
May 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
The guy dropped his head backing back 3 times in the same game last week.. I know marking isnt his first port of call, but I cant see RTB overly keep on a bloke who hears Casper the friendly ghost around every corner

Word on the Carlton street is that even if he returned home the personal issues he is facing would be hard to fix.

Would require a very good price for me to look at it seriously.

With Duffy and Simpson possibly in strife it becomes much more attractive.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
Bit of talk around from Carlton supporters in the know that Jeff Garlett is having some family issues and looking to come back to WA at the end of the year. His form has suffered as a result and he has again been dropped from the team this week. If trying to turn Simpson around doesn't come off I would be keen to look at this - Jeff is another ideal player for Subiaco and our rebound game and with him and Hill and Pearce doing this (one off the HBF probably) it would be havoc for opposition teams with that skill and pace. Seems at present we could get him for less than he is really worth - turns 25 in August apparently.

Very interesting player who really burns teams that lack pace like WC. Yeah you would have to look at him, could be very handy replacement for some of the older crew in the back line or forward line in years to come.

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd

Could he play the lock down defender role on the small forward as well as providing rebound.

A yes if he can, a no if he can't

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Could he play the lock down defender role on the small forward as well as providing rebound.

A yes if he can, a no if he can't

Way I see it we would only need one of Hill, D. Pearce, Garlett or Walters to do this and probably at this stage Pearce and then Hill would be best suited for that leaving Garlett to take over Pearces role in the midfield. But that is also not to say that Jeff couldn't be turned into a small defender - not sure he has ever been given the chance. To me if Simpson doesn't come good and we are not going to get Pickett in the draft it is a no-brainer to look at Jeff given he would be coming for unders to get back to WA, is still fairly young and is a proven player with his perceived weakness (contested ball) being something he can turn around like Pearce did.

Jun 4, 2008
Kardinya
AFL Club
Fremantle
Nope.

Sheridan - young, fressh 1st rder with loads of promise still.
Pears - worth less than the pick traded to acquire Gumby.

Yeah - you're right about Sherro being > Pears in terms of respective market values, but Pears is probably worth more than pick 50-something.

I think Pears is interesting because he's a large mobile key back, an area of higher list need. He's a WA product who could probably adapt to Lyon's game plan & I think would develop in leaps & bounds playing alongside Johnson.

Not a Free Agent (Essendon have him signed up until end of 2015 season). Hasn't been playing much this season - if Essendon were interested, could be a "moneyball" trade possibility.

calaisking

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Has Garlett ever played in defence? I've only ever seen him in the forward pocket.

If where going to bring a Carlton player over, my choice is Yarran. That guy can slice up the half back line and midfield with ease at times. Only problem is his attitude but I'm sure RTB can fix that up

pavsbootlace

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2011
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Way I see it we would only need one of Hill, D. Pearce, Garlett or Walters to do this and probably at this stage Pearce and then Hill would be best suited for that leaving Garlett to take over Pearces role in the midfield. But that is also not to say that Jeff couldn't be turned into a small defender - not sure he has ever been given the chance. To me if Simpson doesn't come good and we are not going to get Pickett in the draft it is a no-brainer to look at Jeff given he would be coming for unders to get back to WA, is still fairly young and is a proven player with his perceived weakness (contested ball) being something he can turn around like Pearce did.

You seem to be suggesting that we should move Hill, Walters or D Pearce into Lee Spurr's role, so that we can fit Jeff Garlett into our starting line-up? That seems odd.

May 2, 2007
WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Chicago Bears, de Boer, Arsenal
He's irritated me right from his time at Swan Districts but Yarran but I suppose could be worth a go if he came fairly cheaply probably Carlton would want heaps for him..

Garlett? Maybe I'm missing something but when watching Carlton imo he's a fairly ordinary footballer usually and bordering on spud on a bad day. Where would he fit in anyway with star players like Ballantyne and Walters in the side?

Surely someone like Lewis Jetta would be way better if he decided to come home.

slicedndiced

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2014
still sinking
AFL Club
Fremantle

I don't follow your point?

eddy2918

Cancelled
May 9, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Hello everybody.

It is a widely known criticism of Jeff Garlett that he has no defensive side to his game and is incapable of running through the middle. This has been suggested as one reason why he is on the outer with Mick Malthouse in addition to his personal issues.

All information appropriated from Carlton board.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Hello everybody.

It is a widely known criticism of Jeff Garlett that he has no defensive side to his game and is incapable of running through the middle. This has been suggested as one reason why he is on the outer with Mick Malthouse in addition to his personal issues.

All information appropriated from Carlton board.
Those filthy, lying , Carlton scum. He's a gun I tells ya and I won't be hearing a word of it otherwise.

freodog

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I read an article in the west saying Mason Shaw might debut this weekend. Pity I hoped he might go under the radar & we might pick him up.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Yeah - you're right about Sherro being > Pears in terms of respective market values, but Pears is probably worth more than pick 50-something.

I think Pears is interesting because he's a large mobile key back, an area of higher list need. He's a WA product who could probably adapt to Lyon's game plan & I think would develop in leaps & bounds playing alongside Johnson.

Not a Free Agent (Essendon have him signed up until end of 2015 season). Hasn't been playing much this season - if Essendon were interested, could be a "moneyball" trade possibility.

If we want Pears, we would have to trade to get him. He hasnt played a game this season due to injury. If we get him at the end of next season, we can get him as a free agent as he is from the 2007 draft. I wouldnt mind Getting Cale Hooker as well, but he is signed with essendon until 2016.

Looking at Carlton now... they are struggling. They have a few WA guys on there. I wouldnt mind freo taking a punt on Simon White. He is not a key forward. At 190cm and 93kg, I dont mind another big bodied mid.

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Simon
If we want Pears, we would have to trade to get him. He hasnt played a game this season due to injury. If we get him at the end of next season, we can get him as a free agent as he is from the 2007 draft. I wouldnt mind Getting Cale Hooker as well, but he is signed with essendon until 2016.

Looking at Carlton now... they are struggling. They have a few WA guys on there. I wouldnt mind freo taking a punt on Simon White. He is not a key forward. At 190cm and 93kg, I dont mind another big bodied mid.
White has played in the backline whenever I have seen him play and he is a bit underwhelming for my liking. Wouldn't mind having a go at luring Watson across from Carlton though. He is not from WA but if we offer him a couple of years we may lure him. Ross may be able to get the best out of him as he seems to do with players. I think he may suit our style of team defence as well.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
He's irritated me right from his time at Swan Districts but Yarran but I suppose could be worth a go if he came fairly cheaply probably Carlton would want heaps for him..

Garlett? Maybe I'm missing something but when watching Carlton imo he's a fairly ordinary footballer usually and bordering on spud on a bad day. Where would he fit in anyway with star players like Ballantyne and Walters in the side?

Surely someone like Lewis Jetta would be way better if he decided to come home.

Good luck getting Jetta from the swans.

Back