Opinion Which WA lad to try and poach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon

White has played in the backline whenever I have seen him play and he is a bit underwhelming for my liking. Wouldn't mind having a go at luring Watson across from Carlton though. He is not from WA but if we offer him a couple of years we may lure him. Ross may be able to get the best out of him as he seems to do with players. I think he may suit our style of team defence as well.
Wouldnt mind watson thumping left foot in our backline :eek:

Great kick & big body, but so slow on the field.
You can show me draft combine stats all you like to argue the point, but onfield it is more about reaction time IMO & he is pretty average IMO
Yes he is a great kick/big body and yes he is slow on the field but once the ball is in his hands it is fine. the problem is him getting it :)

Apparently both Freo and WC have had a meeting with Mitch Clark re his return to the afl.

Not that i'm overly enthused about the case of Mitch Clark, but surely WC wouldn't... Are they going to play 3 ruckmen and 4 key forwards every week?

Hogan has shown great character in signing for the dees, and I wouldnt be happy paying an unknown 500,000. I would rather pay that sort of coin for Frawley.
In three years Hogan will be cherry ripe, and with our retirements, we should be in the mix.

Missing on Hogan sucks but was always the most likely thing to happen. We need to look a filling particular holes in our list with undervalued players with good skills not overpriced ones. Hawthorn do this regularly, Sydney have in the past although recently blown huge bucks on the Tippett and Buddy show. We did it with D. Pearce and Sylvia. Thats why I suggested Garlett - Skills def. yes, break the bank in $ or draft picks no, fills a hole in our list yes.

We are significantly worse without Walters in the team and if Ballas and Walters miss we basically cannot beat a decent team e.g. North Melbourne. If Simpson cannot come good for us to give depth for our two small forwards (and Freo will know by the end of the year if this is likely) then we need another player who can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tyson Goldsack is unrestricted and giving the Pies the run around on his contract, I know he is a tweener flanker but is he worth a look?

Goldsack would interest me purely because he is a tall player who plays a very 'Ross Lyon' role already. He's their version of Mayne in that he's the 2nd/3rd tall marking target who doubles as a defensive forward. However, he has the height and weight advantage on Mayne. I'm not sure our gameplan would function so well with two genuine lumbering talls plus the resting ruck, so there's your compromise.

However he does have a few spud-like qualities, and i'd be wary of any deal longer than 2-3 years. If you can't get/afford Frawley and his price is good, do it. Assuming that another tall target is the way Ross wants to go.

Goldsack would interest me purely because he is a tall player who plays a very 'Ross Lyon' role already. He's their version of Mayne in that he's the 2nd/3rd tall marking target who doubles as a defensive forward. However, he has the height and weight advantage on Mayne. I'm not sure our gameplan would function so well with two genuine lumbering talls plus the resting ruck, so there's your compromise.

However he does have a few spud-like qualities, and i'd be wary of any deal longer than 2-3 years. If you can't get/afford Frawley and his price is good, do it. Assuming that another tall target is the way Ross wants to go.
Never realized he's 193cm. Very moneyballish.

I don't doubt we had a large offer on the table for Hogan, but I reckon there's a fair chance it was removed and funds allocated to the Fyfe and Mundy contracts. Plus we'd also want some more concrete evidence that his back injury is not an issue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back