Opinion Which WA lad to try and poach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont particuarly want him.. but if we went after Goldsack, send him to the backline and release Sutty back to the wing.

Dont particuarly want him.. but if we went after Goldsack, send him to the backline and release Sutty back to the wing.

That would be a very strange move. Lose Sutcliffe's kicking ability out of the defensive half to put a 4th tall defender in who normally plays forward. What?

He is 193cm.. but doesnt play tall.. he is quicker than Sutty as well. With MJ and Duffield, plus ibbo on the odd occasion, you dont really need Sutcliffe's kicking out of FB when we are at full strength. I still think this year, playing him in defence is more about his development, and will eventually find his way back into the middle/wing.

We could look at both but Goldsack would be purely a contract, not a contract and trying to deal with Brisbabe after they got rooted at the trade table last season.

I think anyone trading with them will get some silly deals suggested at first.

If he wanted to come and we wanted him I think we would have little problem negotiating. To me it seems like Bond/Loyd have clear ideas about what deal they will want. And that is the end of it.

We may have a few players open to a move if it means game time and that could suit Lions.

I see Goldsack as a similar player to Toovey.. can play small or tall. But once again, im not advocating getting Goldsack.. im just saying he isnt needed in that forward position for us, so send him down back where he plied his trade earlier in his career.

He is 193cm.. but doesnt play tall.. he is quicker than Sutty as well. With MJ and Duffield, plus ibbo on the odd occasion, you dont really need Sutcliffe's kicking out of FB when we are at full strength. I still think this year, playing him in defence is more about his development, and will eventually find his way back into the middle/wing.

I dunno if he has the disposal that Sutty does though, that's my concern. Even with MJ and Duffield in the team this year you still see Sutcliffe moving the ball off HBF a lot, his kicking is superior to Ibbo's IMO. I don't see him being better on the wing, given his pace, than Hill, D.Pearce and co. I'd see Goldsack being more useful to us as another 190+ target that the opposition has to worry about in the forward line, while not losing any of our forward pressure.

That said I'm not particularly attached to the idea and it wouldn't faze me if we didn't pick up anyone this offseason.

Slightly unrelated, but Sumas kid is playing in the state under 16 (Jake) and he barracks for Fremantle.

We should try to save him from a horrible fate as a father son selection!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Goldsack could be a good swing man. Make him play the Johnson role in being the 3rd defender and cut off leads of the opposition forwards. Or play him up forward in a flank taking marks on a lead.

What about Toovey?

Toovey would of been good, Prior to his ACL. He was actually out of contract at the end of 2013. Freo were keen in talking to him, then he did his knee sand had no choice but to Sign a 4 year deal with the pies until 2017.

I know he has resigned with Essendon, but Tayte Pears would be a solid key defender, we probably wouldn't have to give too much for him either.

What about Toovey?
I see Goldsack as a similar player to Toovey.. can play small or tall. But once again, im not advocating getting Goldsack.. im just saying he isnt needed in that forward position for us, so send him down back where he plied his trade earlier in his career.
Take Toovey :D
Bad disposal, but plays well on larger opponents.
Goldsack is handy at both ends of the field and is an under rated commodity.

I know he has resigned with Essendon, but Tayte Pears would be a solid key defender, we probably wouldn't have to give too much for him either.

wait until the end of 2015, he will be a free agent.

Take Toovey :D
Bad disposal, but plays well on larger opponents.
Goldsack is handy at both ends of the field and is an under rated commodity.

I rather Toovey before he did his knee and was out for a season, you guys locked him away for a few years. Goldsack is the one I want.

I saw in the West today that Jordan Lockyer might be looking for more opportunities. Defender from West Perth,191cm pick 43 in the 2011 draft by Sydney. Anyone know anything about him? Is he worth a look?

I agree that Malceski is an excellent rebounding defender on his day, with terrific footskills, but at 29 with a bionic knee, I'm just not sold on the idea.

I reckon if we want to hunt talent, we should hunt elite youngsters to fill genuine needs: Matt Buntine for that hard nosed lock down defender, or Rory Thompson (I know he's recently extended with the $uns) for that quality KPD.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back