Whitten Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Footscray is probably the stupidest place to chuck a boutique. Especially when Optus Oval has about six times the surrounding space. And has a wing and end already up to standard. And isn't in a suburb plenty of people seem scared of.

Optus oval may have more space around it, but they now have building behind the goals at one end i think.
Nothing to be scared of at Footscray, and they have a train station right next to the ground.

Optus oval may have more space around it, but they now have building behind the goals at one end i think.
Nothing to be scared of at Footscray, and they have a train station right next to the ground.

I've always lived in the East however I would go to every game in the late 80's to mid 90's at Footscray as a kid. Never any issues.

Presumably the ground will be treated in the same way as Victoria Park, free entry as a public park.

They will need to restore the time clock and a scoreboard as well as a fence, which is a lot of work to do in a short space of time before the start of next season. I also understand there are no longer any accessible toilet facilities or places to sell refreshments, so they may have to go with portables and open the social club.

Looking forward to attending a game there next year if we get the chance.

We have the pound cafe that sells drinks and food. Also on family days or intra club games they always have tents selling food aswell.

Footscray is probably the stupidest place to chuck a boutique. Especially when Optus Oval has about six times the surrounding space. And has a wing and end already up to standard. And isn't in a suburb plenty of people seem scared of.

people complain that there isnt enough transport to princess park but they are just your typical lazy whingers. there is a tram line that stops right out front, plus another tram line and train station which are closer to the ground than flinders is to the mcg (yet people dont complain about walking there do they).

also living right near it, there just isnt room around the ground to build the stands required, or the road/transport infrastructure to support the crowds. anyone who thinks there is hasnt been there in a while. i would avoid the area entirely for the day if i knew 15-20k people were trying to go there. Its busy enough when 100 or so people are there just to use the gym out the back.

train station which are closer to the ground than flinders is to the mcg (yet people dont complain about walking there do they).

Who walks from Flinders when Richmond station is next to the G?

Who walks from Flinders when Richmond station is next to the G?

a great many people, who cant be bothered trying to cram onto the train. either along the river or down flinders st. every game i go to there are thousands who walk there, even against interstate teams. its hardly a big ask for people to walk 5-10 minutes.

a great many people, who cant be bothered trying to cram onto the train. either along the river or down flinders st. every game i go to there are thousands who walk there, even against interstate teams. its hardly a big ask for people to walk 5-10 minutes.

I come from the south so Richmond station is easy for me.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...ing-pool-and-gym/story-fngnvmj7-1226857166468

A PUBLIC swimming pool and gym could form part of a proposed $12 million redevelopment of Whitten Oval.
Details of the proposal are contained in a confidential report that Maribyrnong Council accidentally uploaded on to its website.

The council’s draft plans reveal a community recreation precinct may be created to cater to Footscray’s projected population growth over the next 10 to 15 years.

The precinct could have a 25m eight-lane pool, gym and change room in Barkly St near the oval entrance.

The proposal states infrastructure improvements are required to make the ground suitable for Footscray Bulldogs VFL games, including two coaching boxes, change rooms and game day spaces.

The upgrades would be funded by a range of sources, including State Government grants, the AFL and Western Bulldogs and potential private investment.

The council’s contribution was expected to be about $4.5 million across two years starting in 2015/16, the report said.

It would be the first major redevelopment since 2005 when the oval underwent a $19.5 million renovation.

The project would also deliver a new public space for community events and festivals.

Bulldogs chief executive Simon Garlick said while the club was keen to explore infrastructure enhancements to support both football and community use, it was too early to say what the future may hold.

But Mr Garlick said the club was excited to be bringing football back to Whitten Oval this year.

The club’s last competitive match at the oval was in 1997 when it defeated the West Coast Eagles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back