Who are/is your favorite current Magpie (Yep a non trade thread!)

Remove this Banner Ad

All time Daicos, his was the first number on my first ever Guernsey. Feel privileged to have watched him play, absolute freak.

Around the same time I loved Dougy Barwick and Mick McGuane.

Bucks was right up there, as was Dids and Leon Davis.

Current day, Pendles by a fair way, then Elliott and the Seed

Plenty of ticks in that list. I'd add Heater and Betheras.

Ok don't laugh...

Bobby Rose was my first hero...unstoppable midfielder, tough as nails, skilful as they come, great leader, great sportsman.

Daics is overall the most skilful I've ever seen. He could do things you'd never even contemplated on a footy field and he did them with monotonous regularity. He left opposition players and supporters shaking their heads when he kicked goals from seemingly hopeless situations. Graeme Shepherd was another with a freakish skill set, but few of you would ever have heard of him.

Of the current crop Beamer was right up there. I love tough, no nonsense players, they don't go overboard with celebrations cos they expect to do what they do. Rowdy was like that, Clement and Millane as well. Broomy will do me now.

But my favourite of all time is Johnny Greening. So much skill and athleticism and speed and balance and game sense and awareness....Pendles is a beauty but he has nothing on JG. People would go to the footy just to see him play (even supporters from other clubs). Greening was that good.

So lots of numbers that could go on my jumper eh? 22,35,7,8,26,29,42 should take a tattslotto ticket!

Ok don't laugh...

Bobby Rose was my first hero...unstoppable midfielder, tough as nails, skilful as they come, great leader, great sportsman.

Daics is overall the most skilful I've ever seen. He could do things you'd never even contemplated on a footy field and he did them with monotonous regularity. He left opposition players and supporters shaking their heads when he kicked goals from seemingly hopeless situations. Graeme Shepherd was another with a freakish skill set, but few of you would ever have heard of him.

Of the current crop Beamer was right up there. I love tough, no nonsense players, they don't go overboard with celebrations cos they expect to do what they do. Rowdy was like that, Clement and Millane as well. Broomy will do me now.

But my favourite of all time is Johnny Greening. So much skill and athleticism and speed and balance and game sense and awareness....Pendles is a beauty but he has nothing on JG. People would go to the footy just to see him play (even supporters from other clubs). Greening was that good.

So lots of numbers that could go on my jumper eh? 22,35,7,8,26,29,42 should take a tattslotto ticket!

But the question was about current players...for me its Mr T Goldsack. I just don't get why he doesn't get the credit he deserves.

Peter Moore as a kid in the early 80s. Daicos in the mid/late 80s/early 90s. Brad Rowe in the dodgy mid 90s. Jimmy Clement in the early 00's. Wellingham - until he left.
Now, I'd have to sit here all night to come up with somebody other than Jamie Elliott. I love Pendles, and anyone still willing to don the black and white for that matter, but Jamie is a class act, with talent to burn. My favourite current day Pie. Having said that, i'll be getting #30 on my back next year

Ok don't laugh...

Being born in 77 unfortunately didn't get to see the great man play, but i remember reading a thread from on our board about John Greening. It was a tragedy how his career got cut short.

Pendles. Was Dids but the game passed him by as it does all players.

Pendles is just so silky. I also love Sidey. I think the penny may have dropped for him. After his suspension he was just about our best player for the rest of the year. He stood up and it wouldn't surprise me if he was one of the ones Maxy was referring to in his speech. He needs to continue in that vein.

I think Nathan Freeman will become a fan favourite. Busting away from packs with that elite burst of speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My past favs are so similar to a lot of blokes here - also a good way of giving away your age!

At the moment, I love Elliott, how can you not? He just has so much spark and talent and go about him and I love the way when the rest of the more experienced players are dithering about and missing shot after shot, he just grabs it in this no nonsense way and slots a goal as if to say, 'there, it's not that hard'. That boy is a gem.

Also, Broomhead - there's just something about him. He has this similar aura to Daicos or Brown or someone I really admired as a player and really hoping he comes on the way we all think.

I expect to love Darcy Moore. Peter was my first hero and Darcy looks like a terrific kid and seems to move like his old man.

Beams was my favourite, Heater before him. :cry:
But if our culture & work ethic need to change then they are just collateral damage of that. So be it.
Frosty shall be my new favourite, with Adams not far behind. Go Pies!!!!!!!

As this is a thread about your favourite player, and not the best, then I'm a Witts fan. Love the way he took on the ruck responsibility this year, without fanfare. Just quietly got on with it. So much upside.

Witts was good once Bucks gave him a Rocket

Broomy right now. There's a lot of excitement about him.

Rowdy was my number 1, followed by Daics and pants.

Have had soft spots for big Sav, monkey and athas hrysoulakis

1. Alex Fasolo
2. Sam Dwyer
3. Brent Maccaffer
4. Brodie Grundy
6. Tyson Goldsack
7. Ben Kennedy
10. Scott Pendlebury (c)
11. Jarryd Blair
13. Taylor Adams
14. Clinton Young
15. Jarrod Witts
16. Nathan Brown
18. Jesse White
19. Jamie Elliott
20. Ben Reid
22. Steele Sidebottom
23. Lachlan Keeffe
24. Josh Thomas
26. Marley Williams
27. Tony Armstrong
28. Ben Sinclair
29. Tim Broomhead
31. Jackson Ramsay
32. Travis Cloke
33. Patrick Karnezis
34. Alan Toovey
35. Matthew Scharenberg
36. Dane Swan
39. Nathan Freeman
40. Paul Seedsman
41. Tom Langdon
43. Adam Oxley
44. Corey Gault
45. Jack Frost
46. Jonathan Marsh
Levi Greenwood
Jack Crisp
Travis Varcoe
Darcy Moore

Each and every one of them are my favourite current magpies. Anyone who dedicates their lives to the mighty black and white like these 40 men do deserve equal love.

If I had to pick my absolute favourite though, it has to be Toovey. I was one of the people who really liked him even when he was a really maligned player and the fact that he was able to prove his doubters wrong and play in the back pocket of a premiership side just warms my heart.

In terms of current players, I was always a harsh judge of Steele Sidebottom, thought he was just a good player in a good side, but he has continued to work on his game and improve year after year, was one of our best-performed and showed some real leadership, I thought.
Like Sam Dwyer as well, unassuming, hardworking, gets the best out of himself and took his chance with both hands.

For current player its Sidebottom for me.

It was Heath Shaw, that smother on Riewoldt still gets me excited.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back