Autopsy Who are on field leaders - FWD, MID and Back?

Remove this Banner Ad

May 24, 2014
Canberra Region
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Ricciardo#3, Sydney Thunder
One of our young fellas said something post game that made me stop and think a bit about who our on field leaders are. Whitfield stated that in that second half, the mid field talk stopped...wow. When we get blow out games like this weekend, it is clear that we lack leadership in at least two thirds of the ground.

Our back line is an easy one for me. Heater is the key man this season, and Davis when on the park. Our backline has held up all year and under immense pressure with injury and these poor games.

Our mid field is less clear. Without Mummy, it falls to Ward, Sculls and Griff. These last three are not natural field marshals. They lead by example and urge their teammates on etc, but there isn't one or two guys in there who are directing traffic. There is organisation, and that is great when things go well, but when they don't the troops need to instinctively trust the directions of those who know what plan B and C are.

Our forward line worries me the most. I can't think of anyone up there providing the leadership required. It shows. Patton needs to stop sooking when things don't go his way. Over the off season, he needs to put his hand up and show he is the forward line leader.

These things will develop in time I guess. Am I being too harsh?

Agree 100% the lack of talk is very clear apart from Heater & Mummy...I have no answers but I think Cal needs to be more of a verbal presence when things start going pear shaped

Leaders are usually people who are looked up to for some reason or other. Sometimes the reason is intangible, there's just something about them that's inspiring.

Heater is a fantastic backline leader in both words and deeds. He even gets the crowd involved with some of his moves. It's heartening to see when the going gets tough.

But we do seem lack natural leaders in the midfield and up forward, despite all the talent. And given how much talent we have up forward, who's the leader going to be? The forwards should be sat down and asked this question openly, because the last thing we want is for someone to get named as leader and someone else to get their nose out of joint.

As for the midfield, it's a good question. Ward does lead by example, but we need a bit more than that.

Anyway, we need to get all this sorted out in the off-season, and thoroughly road-tested in the pre-season. Just one more thing to add to the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back