Who are the real contenders in 2015?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there will be massive turnover at the top. Sydney are the least likely of last years top four to drop out, the other three top four H&A place getters have problems with the age profile of their best 22, but Hawthorn are the next least likely. Port to move in, and maybe a surprise packet like Richmond or Gold Coast.

Geelong has lost too much talent in both experience and prime age groups to be there again. Many of Freo's key position players are close to retirement.

Richmond???

Interesing fact: Port have won only 6 of their last 14 games. Also, in their last 5 games against top 6 teams they've won 1 and lost 4. A young, improving side, but still only an outside chance, IMO.

[/QUOTE]

That is very interesting to say the least. I just felt Port were over rated to some degree. When we kicked a heap of unanswered goals against them in round 23 at Subi they were not good enough to stop a decent side that was playing well. Catching up in the final quarter is poor football if you have just been blown away to the tune of 8 goals to next to nothing in the third quarter.

Hawthorn for mine seem to be much more vulnerable in Preliminary Finals than the GF in recent years. Their last 3 Prelims have been nail biting affairs to say the least.

$ydney will be hard to beat, Hawks will still be up there, Freo and Port if they have a good injury run. North, Richmond and Pies in the 8. Gold Coast a good chance to make the 8 for the first time.

The local media will have the Egos as premiership certainties after a soft start to the year but I suspect the round 3 Derby will restore reality to their situation very early in the season.

Sydney like us have something to prove, losing GF is enough motivation. Hawks have the chance to go into the record books. Port were so
close, have improved their list, and the coach seems top shelf, will challenge the group, and with that much belief, wont die wondering.
Freo are the wildcard in the mix, plenty of talent, Ross Lyon effect, all of the above teams have quality coaches, lists, Clarkson the best.

Sydney like us have something to prove, losing GF is enough motivation.

It didn't help us. Too many games this season we looked like we didn't care. How often did we have that killer instinct? We coasted through a lot of games and only lifted when we absolutely had to lift (Both derbies spring to mind), and fell over like a wet leaf in the last half against Port.

However saying that, we still made Top 4.

In 2015 our draw is a lot more favourable. When we do have 6 day breaks we're playing at home. Our younger brigade are starting to push for spots and we have some serious depth in our midfield. Taberner will be better for the experience and will really help stopping Pav being double teamed. We have the best small forward pairing in the comp and we have Crozier and Duffy just begging to take their spots. Our defence is the shakiest part of our team, luckily we're coached by RTB and he makes team the whole team chip in when it comes to defending.

I'm a positive kinda guy and I think we should definitely make the Top 4. From there anyone can win just depends on the day.

No particular order

Top 4 -
Freo, Hawks, Sydney, Port

Next 4
North, Adelaide, Richmond, Gold Coast

Also why do people always see the Tiges doing well? That whole club is so intensely s**t.

They ride the waves of emotion. No good team relies on that to succeed. And where's their talent? They have the worst depth in the comp, along with Carlton, and they've had that issue for years. Riewoldt can be very good but he can also be pretty easily pushed out of games. Cotchin is potentially the softest, lamest captain around (along with – you got it – Carlton's). The way he literally shrugged an aw-shucks'd a "well, I dunno what went wrong" when he was asked about their embarrassing loss to Port says enough. That's without mentioning a guy like Dusty Martin being capable of winning Brownlows, but realistically being unable to run out a full quarter... off half back.

There's nothing special about a side who scrape into finals and proceed to do precisely nothing in them. If the make top six, I'll be surprised. But it'll only be an indictment on the rest of the sides.

Shockin team, shockin admin, just putrid.

Taylor's Take on....Richmond;

They have a lot holes.

Their small forwards are being filled by extra midfield rotations because they have a grand total of TWO elite distance runners if you count Grigg, if.

Their defensive players have the wrong attributes. The slow moving distributor (tag me out of the game) in Houli can't get involved to use his weapons. Morris is fast and really, really dedicated but if he gets his hands on the ball it is coming back.

Their lack of small forwards means the kick out of the stoppage that Cotchin does, the sidestep then hoof forward about 35m, is brought to ground and the ground pressure isn't there to cover the rebound.

They have two really good marking players in Reiwoldt and Griffiths and even though they have two of the longest kicking players in the game, Newman and Martin, they don't kick long to the tall marking.

If Richmond can land a fast distributing half back (Deledio) and a pair of fast small forwards, an option in the ruck that can compete when Maric is resting then they can do alright.

Long story short.
+fast half forward (Crozier)
+fast small forward
+long running elite link mid
+classy mid to replace Deledio
>Deledio to half back line
~long kicks to deep Reiwoldt and Griffiths.

Also why do people always see the Tiges doing well? That whole club is so intensely s**t.

They ride the waves of emotion. No good team relies on that to succeed. And where's their talent? They have the worst depth in the comp, along with Carlton, and they've had that issue for years. Riewoldt can be very good but he can also be pretty easily pushed out of games. Cotchin is potentially the softest, lamest captain around (along with – you got it – Carlton's). The way he literally shrugged an aw-shucks'd a "well, I dunno what went wrong" when he was asked about their embarrassing loss to Port says enough. That's without mentioning a guy like Dusty Martin being capable of winning Brownlows, but realistically being unable to run out a full quarter... off half back.

There's nothing special about a side who scrape into finals and proceed to do precisely nothing in them. If the make top six, I'll be surprised. But it'll only be an indictment on the rest of the sides.

Shockin team, shockin admin, just putrid.

One thing in their favour is the number of times they play at the G... I dream of the day freo play 3/4 of the year on their home turf, but dreaming is all it will ever be ..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems likely to be another even year to me.
Port and Sydney should play off in the GF if all things are equal, but they seldom are.
Surprised no one has tipped Brisbane for the eight, they won't contend for the flag but they will be big improvers.

Hawks and Port are the teams to beat.

Sydney will be there abouts but won't be as strong as this year. I give us a better shot at the flag then $ydney

Count Selwood out. Back under the knife, hasn't been able to run properly for months and will continue not being able to.

Their key back has had hip surgery so he won't be there to shut out the key forward as well as last season. There isn't much else down there to do that role. The second and third tall will get off the chain.

Laugh all you want, but their list does look good. The Lycett and Naitanui ruck combination is deadly. Naitanui will have had a full pre-season and will be back to 2012 form, where he was All Australian. Their midfield will consist of Yeo, Shuey, Priddis Gaff, Masten, Selwood etc. Their forward line has always been packed with firepower and their back line has always been very good, one of the best defensive units last year according to statistics.
Please stop, CaptainTroll, my sides are aching.

EFA I hate the flogs, but their list looks very strong for next year.
zmke72B.gif

Laugh all you want, but their list does look good. The Lycett and Naitanui ruck combination is deadly. Naitanui will have had a full pre-season and will be back to 2012 form, where he was All Australian. Their midfield will consist of Yeo, Shuey, Priddis Gaff, Masten, Selwood etc. Their forward line has always been packed with firepower and their back line has always been very good, one of the best defensive units last year according to statistics.

Let me get this straight. You have West Coast going from 9th (with 0 wins over top 8 sides) to top 5 due to the fitness of Naiatnui and Selwood?

Are you Luke Darcy?

Looks like you buy into the media hype every pre-season. Nobody who actually takes a look at their list could seriously say they are on par with us and Port. They have glaring deficiencies which once again they have failed to address in free agency, trading or the draft. Plus Naitanui is massively over-rated and having him fit won't make that much difference to their side. They were flat track bullies last year and I can only see the same for them this coming season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back