Who are the "un-booable" characters of the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Technically speaking no player is un-booable, but nonetheless:

- Dane Swan
- Dustin Fletcher
- Kade Simpson
- Matthew Pavlich
- Tom Lonergan

Technically speaking no player is un-booable, but nonetheless:

- Dane Swan
- Dustin Fletcher
- Kade Simpson
- Matthew Pavlich
- Tom Lonergan

Eh? Dustin Fletcher plays for an crypto-criminal organisation - of course he is booable - Big Mumford comes to mind

As a white Australian, I don't dislike being reminded of the past; I dislike the actions of others being referred to as my past as though I am somehow responsible.

You read too much Andrew Bolt. Angela Merkel recently said that the stain of the Holocaust on the German Nation was so indelible it can never be forgotten and never be forgiven. She didn't say "as a former East German born after the war the victims of the holocaust can go and get ****ed because I don't feel sorry for something I did not do"

Who controls the past, controls the future and if we are not reminded of the bad things in the past (because you don't feel sorry) then we are condemned to repeat them

I am sure you don't feel the same way about the diggers on Anzac Day - that past must be constantly regirgitated like a bird feeding its young

Eh? Dustin Fletcher plays for an crypto-criminal organisation - of course he is booable - Big Mumford comes to mind
But when he's going for a torp outside 50 meters at age 40..

Can't help but love that.

Surprised anyone could hate Lecras. Classy player, great skills and doesn't cheat like other small/medium forwards. I liken him to Bruest.

Goodes/Watson/Hird/Ballantyne/Crowley/StevieJ/Buddy/BHarvey/Anyone shooting for goal after a free kick are the main targets.

Half the players named in this thread I wouldn't even recognise.

But if I did know who they were, I'd boo them for sure.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Far out... I'm racist against no-names as well as diving snipers!

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I did like Richo, though. You could always tell that deep down inside he was already booing himself, so you just wanted to give him a hug.

I didn't boo Goodes on the weekend, but his history of transgressions against Hawthorn players I think is the primary reason other supporters did boo Goodes (that went unpunished at the tribunal). Like you, I can't ask every supporter what their reason was, but to call it racist is utter nonsense considering that other (including other outspoken) aboriginal players represented both teams on the night. Hawthorn supporters also boo Stevie J as an example for the very same reasons.

Racism is a very serious accusation. Also, Goodes has been booed by hawk fans prior to the incident at the Collingwood match so that argument doesn't line up. It is incredible that a supporter base can be smeared so easily in today's media with little to no investigation or right of reply. Bring on the demise of print media if this is the direction it continues to follow.

Spot on..

Your line that people boo Goodes because '.. the fact he is a proud indigenous man unflinchingly critical of our colonial past' , is something you constructed in your own head. Players both past and present get booed, for us SJ and Selwood cop it every game. The fact that Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham is trying to stop people from booing him will only make things far far worse.

You read too much Andrew Bolt. Angela Merkel recently said that the stain of the Holocaust on the German Nation was so indelible it can never be forgotten and never be forgiven. She didn't say "as a former East German born after the war the victims of the holocaust can go and get stuffed because I don't feel sorry for something I did not do"

Who controls the past, controls the future and if we are not reminded of the bad things in the past (because you don't feel sorry) then we are condemned to repeat them

I am sure you don't feel the same way about the diggers on Anzac Day - that past must be constantly regirgitated like a bird feeding its young
Pay attention, people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't boo Goodes on the weekend, but his history of transgressions against Hawthorn players I think is the primary reason other supporters did boo Goodes (that went unpunished at the tribunal). Like you, I can't ask every supporter what their reason was, but to call it racist is utter nonsense considering that other (including other outspoken) aboriginal players represented both teams on the night. Hawthorn supporters also boo Stevie J as an example for the very same reasons.
Can you please detail which of the other indigenous players you consider outspoken and what they said?

Spot on..

Your line that people boo Goodes because '.. the fact he is a proud indigenous man unflinchingly critical of our colonial past' , is something you constructed in your own head. Players both past and present get booed, for us SJ and Selwood cop it every game. The fact that Sydney chairman Andrew Pridham is trying to stop people from booing him will only make things far far worse.

Jack Johnson and Ali vs. Joe Lewis - the latter was popular with whites - the former were not - us whiteboys don't like blacks with opinions. To counterpoint the fact that Cyril is not booed while Goodes is - is the biggest furphy in the history of bullshit false arguments. Cyril has not been subjected to Bolts crap, he was not Australian of the Year and he did not have the temerity to point out someone who called him an Ape - which he later found out was a child

He is dirty but a lot of footballers are dirty and are not consistently booed. I can remember being at games when Chris Lewis played for the Eagles - people would call him a "dirty hack" we all knew that was code for

Just check out the s**t on the Bolt Blog - the surface does not have to be scratched very far - the fact that people are squealing like stuck pigs about what Caro and Fat Prick are saying is a little bit of protesting too much

The Us does not include me and I find this generalization extremely offensive, incorrect and divisive.

Can one of you come up with an original argument - it is ironic because there is a lot of blanket denial that any and all boos directed to him across time have have never, ever been motivated by racism

Can you please detail which of the other indigenous players you consider outspoken and what they said?

Byron Pickett would full on kill blokes (legally in those days) - he was never subject to continuous booing

It's an interesting one isn't it, I agree that no-one really is un-booable, depending on your viewpoint and stance. There are plenty of clean players going around but I don't boo them because idk who they are. I am first down to boo Jobe Watson in the chorus and simulate a needle going into the arm when he looks our way, likewise I can see why Dustin Fletcher would get booed for his history of tripping, although I have heaps of respect for Fletcher due to his durability and the hope that he will break the 400. I guess I would never boo Gary Ablett Jr, Scott Pendlebury or Josh Pee Kennedy since they are tremendous players, and I would never boo Lance Franklin or Brent Harvey which is in direct contrast to how extensively they cop it, so I can only speak from my POV.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back