List Mgmt. Who are we carrying and why are we carrying them?

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a been a fair bit of discussion on the board over the last few weeks about players who might not be pulling their weight for various reasons. It's true of every team that there are certain players who are being carried through the season, and I'm interested to find out who this board thinks we're carrying, and why.

IMO, we're carrying the following:

Drew Petrie because he's Drew and nobody at the club has the balls to drop him. He's much like Dustin Fletcher in that regard. I personally don't think he has it in him any more, regardless of our forward structure being depleted with Tarrant out or Currie not performing. He won't be dropped this week because it's a milestone game, and we just will not drop him. I believe it was apollo_creed who noticed that Drew has 3 goals in 5 games so far this year, which is simply not good enough from our biggest, ugliest target in the forward line.

Daniel Currie He's in and around the team but we're carrying him every week. He doesn't contribute in the ruck, has iron hands when flying for marks, and isn't a patch on Goldstein or even Daw around the ground. Arguably should have been dropped for Nahas against the Pies but Robbie isn't going to be the difference between a 35 point belting and a hard fought win.

Brad McKenzie I think we're carrying Brad. People have noted that he's at the stage in his development where giving him games is going to be the most beneficial route to take, and he has had games so far this year (against the Dogs and Port) where he has put up good numbers, but he's somewhat in the Harper camp where he's talented and absolutely shows it, but doesn't produce enough at AFL level to particularly justify his spot. This is not to say I believe we should drop him, but I do believe we carry him to a certain extent.

Michael Firrito Warrior, stalwart, all that. Only in the side because MacMillan has a broken leg and he's the better option out of Firrito/MacMahon. Coming to the end and somewhat of a liability with brain fades in the backline. We are a better team without him.

Are there any other players we're carrying?

I don't think we are carrying anyone. We have had 3 good wins in a row followed by a loss.

Firrito and Currie aren't best 22 players, but are in the team to play a role.
McKenzie is still very young and has played some good football this year. Consistency is his goal (as it is with all kids).
Petrie is not being carried. He is down on form but has more than enough runs on the board to keep him in the team.

I think Dish is out of form but he hasn't been as bad as many of here would have you believe. As I said in the other thread, there are several issues (most out of his control) contributing to his struggles at the moment

Agree with the McKenzie and Currie calls.

I think Firrito is just covering JMac as you said and at the moment is doing a decent job of that. We just don't have another option until JMac gets fit or we sort out the midfield and can afford the luxury of playing someone like NDS back there

Sent from my Nokia 3210

Currie. He's only in the side because Tarrants injured and Maj is coming off a knee.

The only other one I would possibly add is Basti. He was supposed to explode with the "Dal Santo effect" but is another that is really struggling at the moment.

Sent from my Nokia 3210

Drew may be lacking touch but he is working hard and clearly being effected by lack of opportunities and the kind of opportunities being provided by the new set up. I wouldn't say that we are carrying him.

Spud is back up and is doing a solid job. I wouldn't say that we are carrying him.

Currie is there to hold up the structure and chop out Goldy. Problem is he just doesn't look capable of having an impact and makes us extremely slow in the forward line. He is being carried.

McKenzie is a good talent but when the heat is on he just doesn't yet have the physicality to compete at AFL level against the good teams. He is a luxury at the minute and if he plays agsint Freo we will be carrying him.

I think Dish is out of form but he hasn't been as bad as many of here would have you believe. As I said in the other thread, there are several issues (most out of his control) contributing to his struggles at the moment

He still looks dangerous when isolated 1 on 1. As slow as he might be he's still very strong and one of the better contested marks in the competition.

However, if we can't play him in that capacity then we're either carrying him or playing him in a role he's not capable of succeeding in at this point of his career.

I think we really need to assess how we use Drew for the rest of the season. (presuming he retains his spot)
I think he still has a role to play but that role and that role only. In any other capacity he's a liability.

At the end of the day though - his current output cannot continue, I think he's worth 2 or 3 more weeks considering his contribution to the club - and as I said it's pivotal we use him to his current strenghts (perhaps only now) otherwise it will continue.

We're carrying Currie as well. And this is where the coach and coaching staff need to have the courage to acknowledge their mistake and save for some excessively good VFL form not pick Currie in the side again.

Simply put he's not an AFL standard footballer and never will be. It's not his fault but it's a pretty obvious reality watching him play. Unless you're very good at something or capable of dominance cumbersome dinosaurs have no place in modern footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At least Drew shows up around the ground and helps out. Currie is next to useless if he isn't kicking goals.

Definitely carrying Currie as once the ball hits the deck he is useless and he hasn't shown the ability to clunk contested marks to negate his lack of agility.

McKenzie is close to putting it all together I reckon. The second half of the year is when I can see him averaging 20+ damaging touches, he's had some good one's this year and a couple of shockers but he isn't alone.

Spud has been solid in the place of MacMillan. He isn't the Spud of old but he is doing his job, would much rather him than McMahon at the moment.

On Drew: He is vital to our structure, as much as Aaron Black is loved he is not a number one option and would be killed by the best defender more often than not. As long as no one is stepping up to be the number one option then we need Drew. Whether we carry him or not.

I think the coaching staff needed to see Currie exposed like he was on the weekend. Will only play for the NMFC again if Goldy goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What we are carrying is injuries to a few key player, the players that are coming in are alway going to lack a little consistency but people hope/expect the same out put from our fringe.

What we are carrying is injuries to a few key player, the players that are coming in are alway going to lack a little consistency but people hope/expect the same out put from our fringe.

It's the difference between us and Hawks/Cats. Their players do a decent apprenticeship in the vfl and come in as ready made players

Don't look at it from a week to week proposition, look at the consistency of the output. We have a lot of very inconsistent players in terms of how consistency they play to AFL standard. A lot more than is listed here.

It's the difference between us and Hawks/Cats. Their players do a decent apprenticeship in the vfl and come in as ready made players

Interesting seeing Hamish and Hale going head-to-head today. Neither is really A-grade as a first ruck, but they are both neck and neck as the best second ruck in the league at the moment. How is it that we could get neither to slot into our team? As we talk about dropping Drew and Currie, I think it's worth considering this point.

Definitely not Drew. If he can get his kicking boots back on he wouldn't be looking so bad. Creating contest and always presenting. Is still our best outlet player to take a telling grab when we are struggling to come out of defence.

Interesting seeing Hamish and Hale going head-to-head today. Neither is really A-grade as a first ruck, but they are both neck and neck as the best second ruck in the league at the moment. How is it that we could get neither to slot into our team? As we talk about dropping Drew and Currie, I think it's worth considering this point.

Hale gets made to look better by a dominate midfield. He was average for us for a couple of years before we let him go. If I had to choose between him and Majak going forward id still go with Maj as I reckon he'll be very good for us.

Mcintosch more a pure ruck in my opinion. He plays forward like a ruckman, can take a grab but has a dodgy set shot. He's like a better version of Currie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back