Opinion Who can we turn into a tall defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

Um, no.

The key word was 'Start' :)
Damn! I skipped that bit ;)
Seriously though, I was convinced that, with the success of resting players in 2011, the MC would be rotating the older players so fast that their heads would spin! Perhaps the extra break late in the season and the amount of injuries to important players like the ruckmen, Caddy, Motlop and Christensen, made resting rotations difficult.

Damn! I skipped that bit ;)
Seriously though, I was convinced that, with the success of resting players in 2011, the MC would be rotating the older players so fast that their heads would spin! Perhaps the extra break late in the season and the amount of injuries to important players like the ruckmen, Caddy, Motlop and Christensen, made resting rotations difficult.

Yeah, I think the setback with Vardy upset their plans and strategies before the season even started, then HMac's struggles, Simpson, the injuries you've mentioned and our lack of fitness stopped CS and the MC getting on you if it all year.

The bolder move would've been to pump games into our kids but they were conservative and erred towards a bias for our older guys.

Hopefully we see that start turning the other way this year.

Yeah, I think the setback with Vardy upset their plans and strategies before the season even started, then HMac's struggles, Simpson, the injuries you've mentioned and our lack of fitness stopped CS and the MC getting on you if it all year.

The bolder move would've been to pump games into our kids but they were conservative and erred towards a bias for our older guys.

Hopefully we see that start turning the other way this year.

The "bias" they had towards the older guys was the need to play our best side week after week towards the end of the season in order to make sure we avoided interstate finals.

The "bias" they had towards the older guys was the need to play our best side week after week towards the end of the season in order to make sure we avoided interstate finals.

sometimes premierships are won in june arn't they.

its why starting the season in a good way is so criticial every game is a must win, it gives u options to rest key players later in the year

unless we want a repeat of 2012 where we had our heads just above water, that season didnt end well did it:(

Anyway, back on track. If Walker is pushed aside from the centre half forward position by Clark and Vardy (if fit) then is he worth a try at developing as a defender?
He is big, strong and has good endurance.
Lonergan was originally thought to be a Forward but he was developed as a defender.
He looked very ordinary early as a defender but became one the the competitions better fullbacks.
Does anyone give him a chance as a KPD?
Could Vardy, Walker and Blitz be trained as defenders while Clark and Hawkins play forward?

sometimes premierships are won in june arn't they.

its why starting the season in a good way is so criticial every game is a must win, it gives u options to rest key players later in the year

unless we want a repeat of 2012 where we had our heads just above water, that season didnt end well did it:(

Yep, and they've had exactly those options in each of the last two seasons; and have steadfastly refused to rest anyone.

Could Vardy, Walker and Blitz be trained as defenders while Clark and Hawkins play forward?

In order for that to happen with any of those three (I'd say Vardy is absolutely impossible, and Walker unlikely), one of Lonergan or Rivers (it won't be Taylor) has to be either rested, or eased out of the team. Can anyone seriously see that happening in 2015? Me either.

I would like to see Blitz given a go at fullback hes a fast learner and if hes in one spot he could become a good option down there.

I cannot help but think that Blicavs would get murdered at fullback.
I don't even know where I would play him other than a change ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did he play when Lonners was gone for the Syd game? Didn't he fill in at FB for some of that game?

I cannot remember. I had some much needed healing of the memories therapy after that game.

If he did play full back he must have went ok. We only lost by.......................I cannot remember.

Not at full back. Played on Goodes for a good chunk of the night as a third tall defender.

We also lost by 110 points, so not quite everything went smoothly.

Oh no, the memories are coming back.
The memories! the memories!
Oh the horror!

I cannot remember. I had some much needed healing of the memories therapy after that game.

If he did play full back he must have went ok. We only lost by.......................I cannot remember.
The backline was not the problem that night. Can only hold the dam wall up for so long. In that game Blitz played on Goodes as the 3rd defender (with no Domsy or Boris he was always going to play in defence).

In order for that to happen with any of those three (I'd say Vardy is absolutely impossible, and Walker unlikely), one of Lonergan or Rivers (it won't be Taylor) has to be either rested, or eased out of the team. Can anyone seriously see that happening in 2015? Me either.

I would be spewing if Hamling and Kolodjashnij do not get a few games next year. Even if only against the mug sides at K'Park.

Mission accomplished!

67309fb0-4a19-012d-e1be-0050569428b1.jpg

The backline was not the problem that night. Can only hold the dam wall up for so long. In that game Blitz played on Goodes as the 3rd defender (with no Domsy or Boris he was always going to play in defence).

I think everywhere was the problem that night. Anyway at least he kept Goodes quiet.

Just checked. 17 touches and 3 goals. No he didn't.

I would be spewing if Hamling and Kolodjashnij do not get a few games next year. Even if only against the mug sides at K'Park.
From everything I've read this year, if Kolo keeps developing he'll force himself in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back