Opinion Who can we turn into a tall defender?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think everywhere was the problem that night. Anyway at least he kept Goodes quiet.

Just checked. 17 touches and 3 goals. No he didn't.
The point about the back line being that if you go in with a 5 time AA player out as well as your FB, combined with Blicavs having only played in defence for the first time the week before (on Daw) and a 3rd gamer in Bews, all that considered to concede 75 inside 50's:eek: and be -20 in clearances....

What can the back line reasonably do under all that constant pressure.... It's like machine gun fire. So I'd personally blame them the least despite conceding 148 points and 38 shots.

Mission accomplished!
Talk about taking a flippant off the cuff comment and using it out of context. We've been over this before who gives a flying * if he said 'mission accomplished', the comment meant absolutely SFA!

Lonergan was a defender who was idiotically thrown forward, then rightfully put back in the backlines. Opposite of Smedts and Varcoe, who are hopefully one day to return to their more natural positions.

Lonergan was a forward who found a regular place in the team at full back.

I'm sorry, Partridge. The fun police are out in force this week. There is no fun allowed in the footy threads- you'll have to go into the Scratching Post if you want to make any off topic posts.
:(

Well as long as you don't criticise our illustrious coach and the rest of the Curia........err.......match committee sorry. :)

He actually switched back and forth twice.

Drafted originally as a forward. From memory one of his first games was against North in 2005 (we won easily). He played up forward. Then when he finally looked good at senior level was late in 2006 as a defender when he got injured. Then when he came back to the seniors in 2008 he was played as a forward.

So he's had two stints at each end in total. Not a bad effort really.

I cannot remember. I had some much needed healing of the memories therapy after that game.

If he did play full back he must have went ok. We only lost by.......................I cannot remember.
Not at full back. Played on Goodes for a good chunk of the night as a third tall defender.

We also lost by 110 points, so not quite everything went smoothly.
The backline was not the problem that night. Can only hold the dam wall up for so long. In that game Blitz played on Goodes as the 3rd defender (with no Domsy or Boris he was always going to play in defence).
Thanks guys. I can't remember much of that game- selective memory retention or Alzheimer's, I'm not sure- but I do recall a lot of praise being heaped on Blitz's head (I think it was that game), which made me think that, if he wasn't going to be used as a second ruck, perhaps he could pick up a gig in the backline somewhere- eventually to replace one of the currently immovable regulars.

Did he play on Goodes for the whole game? i.e. were those 3 goals kicked on his watch?

He actually switched back and forth twice.

Drafted originally as a forward. From memory one of his first games was against North in 2005 (we won easily). He played up forward. Then when he finally looked good at senior level was late in 2006 as a defender when he got injured. Then when he came back to the seniors in 2008 he was played as a forward.

So he's had two stints at each end in total. Not a bad effort really.

So he was a forward who found his mojo at full back.

I didn't mean he was drafted as a backman. I meant it was obvious to all and sundry he was a defender, and not a forwards a-hole. He had a ripper game in defence for us against the Dees when he copped that horrific injury. And when he came back they threw him forward for some inexplicable reason. Bomber had a habit of playing players out of position. Ling attacking mid not tagger, Corey as back pocket (absolute wtf), Ottens key forward etc.

I didn't mean he was drafted as a backman. I meant it was obvious to all and sundry he was a defender, and not a forwards a-hole. He had a ripper game in defence for us against the Dees when he copped that horrific injury. And when he came back they threw him forward for some inexplicable reason. Bomber had a habit of playing players out of position. Ling attacking mid not tagger, Corey as back pocket (absolute wtf), Ottens key forward etc.

I don't think that it was obvious. And Lonergan often looked ordinary as a defender early. I can remember him constantly grabbing Jonathan Brown's jumper and being pinged for it. But he worked on his game and now has a premiership medal as a full back that shut down his opponent on the big day. When you look at what he has come through it is a big achievement.

like to see Walker being tried out in the back line

some names have been suggested
proves we have the kids
just need oppurtunities and I hope it wont be case of "dont use them,you loose them"

Agreed, But at the time we had Harley, Scarlett and Egan. There wasn't a place for him down back until Harley retired. At that point he was a better forward than N.Ablett so by default he was our forward. Always was better down back though, just circumstances meant we played him forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

like to see Walker being tried out in the back line

some names have been suggested
proves we have the kids
just need oppurtunities and I hope it wont be case of "dont use them,you loose them"

They had better try some of our talls in defense. We have a bunch of them now and they all cannot play in the forward line. Although I can only imagine Kolodjasnij, Walker and Hamling as possibilities.

Toohey, Vardy and Blicavs do not appear to be realistic possibilities to me. And I suspect that Brown may not be on the list very soon.

Agreed, But at the time we had Harley, Scarlett and Egan. There wasn't a place for him down back until Harley retired. At that point he was a better forward than N.Ablett so by default he was our forward. Always was better down back though, just circumstances meant we played him forward.
I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly,,Nathans last game for the Cats was 2007 the year Lonergan missed,Lonergan and Mooney took over the goal kicking duties in 2008 then in 2009 with the arrival of Hawkins as a player and the demise of Egan Lonergan returned to the backline along side Harley who retired at the end of that year.That's the way I remember it.

Last edited:
Lonergan was a defender who was idiotically thrown forward, then rightfully put back in the backlines. Opposite of Smedts and Varcoe, who are hopefully one day to return to their more natural positions.
You should revise your history of our players; incorrect about Lonergan.
And grab a look at the 2007 VFL GF. Swingman Lonergan to the rescue.
Started fwd, poor, second chance in defence, then the kidney.

In 2008 there wasn't much of a choice since Nathan Ablett had walked out on the club and Hawkins was having foot problems. Lonergan kicked a respectable total of goals that year, despite not looking very comfortable at any stage in the role.

Remember Lonergan kicked the first goal of the GF and thought there was a fairytale about to happen... Luckily it did in 2011

Walker for mine doesn't look like a backman, Lonergan always sort of looked like he had very good football smarts not sure on Walker but that could change. Haven't seen enough of Hamling to comment on him

Good question. Take out lonergan and we have nothing!! And he wanted to go, but stayed because McCartney got the arse! Need a big guy quick off the mark. Kersten or walker? Not really quick!! Their place in the forward line has been hijacked now. Vardy with his knee injuries to play back? End of mackie, lonergan and enright at end of 2015. Needs re- jigging . Get it done early and play youngsters together that grow together. Bews/ kersten and some quarterback type half back.

Good question. Take out lonergan and we have nothing!!
Harry Taylor says hi. Rivers isn't bad either.
Need a big guy quick off the mark. Kersten or walker? Not really quick!! Their place in the forward line has been hijacked now.
They're natural forward-line players who I think play best what attacking the ball rather than minding a player.
Vardy with his knee injuries to play back?
Hope not. He's our most talented young tall, they're more valuable up forward.
End of mackie, lonergan and enright at end of 2015. Needs re- jigging . Get it done early and play youngsters together that grow together. Bews/ kersten and some quarterback type half back.
Easy on, no need to panic. We have done well easing players in and using experienced heads to keep it together and provide on-field direction. Kolodjashnij should have a few games next year, as should Bews and Thurlow, along with hopefully Hamling if he has a good year. Keep standards high, try and be gentle - don't throw everything together all at once and hope it gels.

Good question. Take out lonergan and we have nothing!! And he wanted to go, but stayed because McCartney got the arse! Need a big guy quick off the mark. Kersten or walker? Not really quick!! Their place in the forward line has been hijacked now. Vardy with his knee injuries to play back? End of mackie, lonergan and enright at end of 2015. Needs re- jigging . Get it done early and play youngsters together that grow together. Bews/ kersten and some quarterback type half back.
Reminds me of Jodi Mitchells Yellow Taxi."you don't know what your got till it's gone" this year the three combined for 1142 disposals,348 marks and148 tackles,they will take some replacing.

I cannot help but think that Blicavs would get murdered at fullback.
I don't even know where I would play him other than a change ruck.
I think he'd be ok at CHB where more mobility is required and it's not a test of one-on-one strength.
I think everywhere was the problem that night. Anyway at least he kept Goodes quiet.

Just checked. 17 touches and 3 goals. No he didn't.
In a 20-goal thrashing, I think that's ok. Blitz had 20 touches with seven marks.

Reminds me of Jodi Mitchells Yellow Taxi."you don't know what your got till it's gone" this year the three combined for 1142 disposals,348 marks and148 tackles,they will take some replacing.
Joni.
Good point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back