Who Could Be The All Australian Captain?

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why are people interpreting this thread as "which current AFL captain could be AA captain?"
That wasn't the question in the OP.

Having said that, it's Murphy for mine. Kennel was a rabble with all the walk-outs and sackings last year, no one gave them a hope of getting near finals, yet they are in and playing good footy. I'm sure Murphy was a big reason for pulling the place together and getting them where they are. Plus, he's had a great year on field, possibly career best.

For a second, I thought you meant Marc Murphy, and taking the piss!

Mervyn Beasley

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 12, 2007
Yarraville
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hibs FC, Blackburn Rovers
I'd be happy with Murphy.
That said you do not need to be a club captain to be AA capt.
Pick the team and then pick the best leader in that team.

Pannalstaroz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 4, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
People might know more, but is AA captain preference given to any captain selected in the team? I can't remember who the AA captains have been.

HTPunter

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
People might know more, but is AA captain preference given to any captain selected in the team? I can't remember who the AA captains have been.

2014-Selwood C, Riewoldt VC
2013-Selwood C, Ablett VC
2012-Glass C, Ablett VC
2011-Ablett C, Judd VC
2010-Hodge C, Ablett VC
2009-Riewoldt C, Judd VC
2008-Judd C, Harley VC
2007-McLeod C, Brown VC

So McLeod last non-captain to be named. Pavlich, Brown and Brad Johnson also named (assume they were captains then but not 100% sure). Most years have 3-4 captains in them. Murphy, Hodge, Pendlebury and Walker this year - my tip is Hodge VC Murphy C

An interesting discussion was brought up on MMM today. With perennial AA captains elect Luke Hodge and Joel Selwood not having years that will see them absolute locks for the AA team, who could be AA captain? They suggested Murphy as he is likely to be in the AA squad, but I don't want this seen as a myopic Bulldogs view.

And I'm also not saying Hodge and Selwood won't make it, they're just not seen as the locks they have been previously.
Murphy would be an excellent choice. I don't think Selwood will get an AA Guernsey this year

An interesting discussion was brought up on MMM today. With perennial AA captains elect Luke Hodge and Joel Selwood not having years that will see them absolute locks for the AA team, who could be AA captain? They suggested Murphy as he is likely to be in the AA squad, but I don't want this seen as a myopic Bulldogs view.

And I'm also not saying Hodge and Selwood won't make it, they're just not seen as the locks they have been previously.

Would have said Hodge was a lock for AA and captain until his second suspension. Hodge has actually had a great year when he's been out there.....but 5 games missed makes it tough though.

2014-Selwood C, Riewoldt VC
2013-Selwood C, Ablett VC
2012-Glass C, Ablett VC
2011-Ablett C, Judd VC
2010-Hodge C, Ablett VC
2009-Riewoldt C, Judd VC
2008-Judd C, Harley VC
2007-McLeod C, Brown VC

So McLeod last non-captain to be named. Pavlich, Brown and Brad Johnson also named (assume they were captains then but not 100% sure). Most years have 3-4 captains in them. Murphy, Hodge, Pendlebury and Walker this year - my tip is Hodge VC Murphy C
You'd think if there was a captain selected, he will get preference over a non-captain as AA captain for obvious reasons. I don't recall who else was selected in 2007 for McLeod to get the guernsey

Doggy Dan

Premiership Player
Jul 29, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'll give it to Tex Walker, guy is a genuine gun and a team he captains has gone through unimaginable shite and come out the other end playing fantastic footy.

Very likeable bloke as well for a few reasons;
- Beers with buds
- Mullet / Charity
- Faced Brett Lee in the nets and got him away
- Very last player picked in his draft
- From Broken Hill
- Comments about on field disunity got James Hird sacked

Murphy or Kennedy for the Vice but for me Walker should be a lock.

gothecrows

All Australian
Jun 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I'll give it to Tex Walker, guy is a genuine gun and a team he captains has gone through unimaginable shite and come out the other end playing fantastic footy.

Very likeable bloke as well for a few reasons;
- Beers with buds
- Mullet / Charity
- Faced Brett Lee in the nets and got him away
- Very last player picked in his draft
- From Broken Hill
- Comments about on field disunity got James Hird sacked

Murphy or Kennedy for the Vice but for me Walker should be a lock.

He was only the last player picked because he was a NSW scholarship player - would've gone much higher otherwise.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
So McLeod last non-captain to be named. Pavlich, Brown and Brad Johnson also named (assume they were captains then but not 100% sure).
All three where first year captains in 2007. And Brisbane had a rotating system with 5 players...

Ps Brad Johnson was AA captain the year before without being his team's captain as well.

HolyRioli

Norm Smith Medallist
May 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Leeds Utd
Doesn't have to be club captain to be AA captain. I think Hodge was AA captain one year before becoming Hawks captain

Back