• Duggan

Votes: 11 3.1%
  • Lamb

Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We will if Viojo-Rainbo is still available.

I don't believe you understand the concept of list sizes. We can't walk away from the draft with 41 on the senior list so whether Viojo-Rainbow is available or not at 48 is irrelevant.

If we walk to the draft with 36 (+Frost to be upgraded) on the list then we're out at 30.

Reaching with all 3 selections wouldn't be something that would leave me all that impressed personally...
It's only a reach if you actually could have gotten the player with your next selection, and in none of those cases is that true.

Hence, if Hine rate any of those guys as the best on the board at those selections, it would make sense to pick them.

TBH, I think De Goey is being massively underrated around these parts - He gives me a serious Jimmy Bartel vibe, and while he might not be my #1 option at pick 5, I'd be willing to consider him alongside the likes of Laverde, Pickett and Weller.

Is there footage of De Goey besides this one around?

I really don't like what's evident in that clip. Looks pretty sloppy really.

Those YouTube clips are basically worthless.

The AFL has highlights on their website of basically every player worth looking at in the draft, and they're actually cut together from their entire TAC/SANFL/WAFL/etc seasons, rather than just chucking every involvement from a tiny set of games.

Try this: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/jordan-de-goey-highlights

Those YouTube clips are basically worthless.

The AFL has highlights on their website of basically every player worth looking at in the draft, and they're actually cut together from their entire TAC/SANFL/WAFL/etc seasons, rather than just chucking every involvement from a tiny set of games.

Try this: http://www.afl.com.au/video/2014-09-10/jordan-de-goey-highlights

Looks good overhead and in front of the sticks but not that dynamic, lateral or creative in the Laverde, Pickett, Weller way. Be a steal at 30 but too much to pay at 5 for me.

Looks good overhead and in front of the sticks but not that dynamic, lateral or creative in the Laverde, Pickett, Weller way. Be a steal at 30 but too much to pay at 5 for me.
He's more of an inside midfielder who knows where the goals are - He's way tougher than Laverde and Pickett, and he's much bigger than Pickett and Weller.

Again, I'm not saying he'd be my pick, but he should be in the conversation for top 10. I rate him higher than Ahern, personally.

It's only a reach if you actually could have gotten the player with your next selection, and in none of those cases is that true.

Hence, if Hine rate any of those guys as the best on the board at those selections, it would make sense to pick them.

TBH, I think De Goey is being massively underrated around these parts - He gives me a serious Jimmy Bartel vibe, and while he might not be my #1 option at pick 5, I'd be willing to consider him alongside the likes of Laverde, Pickett and Weller.

That would be your opinion.

My opinion is that if we wanted any of those blokes we would have downgraded selections we didn't so they're unlikely to be on our radar at those picks.

I'd agree on De Goey I have him around 10-12 and in that mix with Weller, Laverde and Blakely as that second tier of mids available. I'm surprised he isn't viewed ahead of Ahern, but it doesn't really change my perspective on it being a reach.

For instance I find it hard to split De Goey and Blakely and I'd consider Blakely a reach at 5 as well.

When you are picking at the nose of the draft, you always go best available.
Hawthorn were able to get Franklin & Roughead in one draft because Richmond went against this.
If GWS or Melbourne fail to take Wright, we would be able to get the best 2 KPF's in the draft in one hit.

I like it,, very sneaky But I have no idea of what you said.

Translation: Collingwood are rumoured to have displayed a greater than usual interest in young prospect Kyle Langford. Langford displays some of the characteristics exhibited by last year's premium draftee Marcus Bontempelli, that is to say, he is a very tall, rangey type of player with good run, versatility and scope for improvement. Bontempelli 'types' are becoming very common now among draftees, almost as common as Pendlebury-like types and therefore risk becoming a bit clichéd (think back to the 'Leigh Brown role') but nonetheless, many Pie fans yearn for a Bontempelli type this year as they consider him the 'one that got away' last year, referring to 'Bonts' rapid last minute rise in the draft order where he 'came in from the rain'. Conspiracy theorists among us, including myself, believe we lost him because the Bulldogs copied our draft strategy. The bulldogs are copy cats or copy dogs if you will. I hope this helps.

Laverde or Weller would be perfect for our team.
However if Dekka selects wright or lever, im gonna back his judgement. (obviously still hoping by some miracle Petracca slips).

edit* just watching some video highlights wouldnt mind ahern either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Translation: Collingwood are rumoured to have displayed a greater than usual interest in young prospect Kyle Langford. Langford displays some of the characteristics exhibited by last year's premium draftee Marcus Bontempelli, that is to say, he is a very tall, rangey type of player with good run, versatility and scope for improvement. Bontempelli 'types' are becoming very common now among draftees, almost as common as Pendlebury-like types and therefore risk becoming a bit clichéd (think back to the 'Leigh Brown role') but nonetheless, many Pie fans yearn for a Bontempelli type this year as they consider him the 'one that got away' last year, referring to 'Bonts' rapid last minute rise in the draft order where he 'came in from the rain'. Conspiracy theorists among us, including myself, believe we lost him because the Bulldogs copied our draft strategy. The bulldogs are copy cats or copy dogs if you will. I hope this helps.
Translation from a old person,,, I get it man, but keep it down, those copy dogs are probably reading this s**t as we type. keep it on the down low, so that we can get as high as Joe Crocker on draft day when Hine pulls out our next premiership captain. You dig.

Beautiful. This means that GWS will snag him at 4 ala the dogs with the Bont. Then for us to snap up Laverde

Langford doesn't have the inside game that Bontempelli was developing, don't think he'll be that big of a bolter. I think we'll go Weller or Laverde.

That would be your opinion.
Was Pendles a reach at #5 in 2005? Plenty of people said it was at the time, but obviously even with the benefit of hindsight, we had no guarantees of getting Pendlebury later in the draft, and we rated him as highly as pretty much anyone.

It would have been a reach at #2, but at #5 it was the latest we could safely wait.

Obviously if we were to draft De Goey at #5, it'd be basically the same situation - An indication we rated him so highly.

I don't believe you understand the concept of list sizes. We can't walk away from the draft with 41 on the senior list so whether Viojo-Rainbow is available or not at 48 is irrelevant.

If we walk to the draft with 36 (+Frost to be upgraded) on the list then we're out at 30.
Excuse my ignorance but can we upgrade Frost for a long term injury, i.e. Sharenburg?

Hence we could use our pick in the 40's if necessary?

We could do that, however it's a pretty big insult to the only bloke that played 22 games last season.
Agreed but we tell him he in our top 40 and pay him in that way, but let him know we need our pick.

Then next year, we promote him.

Edit.He will still be on our list for full season.

Agreed but we tell him he in our top 40 and pay him in that way, but let him know we need our pick.

Then next year, we promote him.

Edit.He will still be on our list for full season.
I get what you're saying, however Frost deserves a contract. There's no need to alienate players for a lucky dip.
edit **
i know rookie contracts are a set wage so i'm not sure how the financials would work out if he is promoted, but for his own financial security im sure Frost would want a set deal.

Laverde or Weller would be perfect for our team.
However if Dekka selects wright or lever, im gonna back his judgement. (obviously still hoping by some miracle Petracca slips).

edit* just watching some video highlights wouldnt mind ahern either

I actually think Weller isn't really a good fit for us. His a small inside/outside mid and we have 2 of those in Sidebottom and Broomhead.

Translation from a old person,,, I get it man, but keep it down, those copy dogs are probably reading this s**t as we type. keep it on the down low, so that we can get as high as Joe Crocker on draft day when Hine pulls out our next premiership captain. You dig.

Hahaha! Love it.

OK Big Boy Bont flies over the mountain at 6pm and gone to the dogs. Man at the desk say we can afford Lang but have you heard the good word, what do you call a black and white bird? Dekka say Laverde. Keep it on the down low. No more copy dogs oh no.

There you've made me go all beatnik. And I never even used drugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back