Votes: 13 3.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
We are not really in a position to gamble on another player that has been injured.
If we were in Hawthorn's position we could or if this was 2011.

We have alreeady filled our quota with injured draftees. If Shcharenburg and Freeman were fully fit and coming off a good season then sure, take a punt on an injured player. But this year its wiser to select a player who is not under an injury cloud.

Unless of course hes very very good!

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Very tough decision but I really like the look of Lever. We could pickup Laverde and his knee pops in the pre-season. You can't predict the future. I don't know but if docs give it the green light I'd be uber keen.
Was just about to post something similar. I'm on the Lever train ATM if he's got the all clear. I don't mind that he's similar to scharenberg those two coming out of the backline would be a joy to watch.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
The thing about lever apart from being a very very good footballer on the field is his all round package. People are already commenting on his character and possible leadership qualities. He sounds like a footballer that his peers respect, admire and fear, the type of player you build a club around. Would not be surprised if gone before pick 5 but if not will be a good pick up.

Rusty22

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2010
Melbourne, Sporting Capital of the World
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
so ive just seen the highlights thoroughly.
Petracca is out of the question will go number 1 easily. congrats saints.
Ahern, laverde, lever, langford are all welcome at Collingwood, boy oh boy its going to be nice in a few years when we will be a kicking team like the hawks.
some exciting footy players we will have, just barring up thinking about it.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
We could pickup Laverde and his knee pops in the pre-season. You can't predict the future.
No, but you can use statistical information to mitigate risk - Studies suggest that the recurrence rate for ACL injuries could be as high as 12%, whereas the risk of players with otherwise healthy knees doing an ACL (i.e. Jayden Laverde and most of the other candidates for our pick) is between four and 15 times lower, depending on the study you trust.

Past the 12- and 24-month marks, the risk does reduce fairly significantly, but in our position, having lost both of our 2013 draftees' entire first seasons to injury, it probably doesn't make sense for us to take on such an increased risk at this stage.

wednesdaywarrior

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
St. Pat's, Parkside Tackers
so ive just seen the highlights thoroughly.
Petracca is out of the question will go number 1 easily. congrats saints.
Ahern, laverde, lever, langford are all welcome at Collingwood, boy oh boy its going to be nice in a few years when we will be a kicking team like the hawks.
some exciting footy players we will have, just barring up thinking about it.

Couldn't get any Petracca highlights to play so I can only use my imagination to picture his awesomeness. Just relieved he's going to the Saints where he is unlikely to do any real damage.

I'm fascinated as to how Melbourne will go in attempting to fix the many holes in their list. Would imagine Brayshaw a lock and then logic would suggest McCartin but others have suggested he's too similar to Hogan hence Wright and Lever come into the frame. At a pinch you would say:

1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. Wright
4. Lever/McCartin?

Leaving us with ...

No, but you can use statistical information to mitigate risk - Studies suggest that the recurrence rate for ACL injuries could be as high as 12%, whereas the risk of players with otherwise healthy knees doing an ACL (i.e. Jayden Laverde and most of the other candidates for our pick) is between four and 15 times lower, depending on the study you trust.

Past the 12- and 24-month marks, the risk does reduce fairly significantly, but in our position, having lost both of our 2013 draftees' entire first seasons to injury, it probably doesn't make sense for us to take on such an increased risk at this stage.

I think he did his knee late last year. If we manage if carefully I think it's a risk worth taking. Bah, the doctors will know I guess and advise the club appropriately.

Oct 8, 2004
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
logic would suggest McCartin but others have suggested he's too similar to Hogan
This is one of the most often repeated ridiculous lines of thought surrounding this draft.

Jesse Hogan was always compared most commonly to Jonathan Brown pre-draft. McCartin has also been compared to Jonathan Brown.

If you could have two Jonathan Browns on your team, exactly why would that be a problem?

Rusty22

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
Couldn't get any Petracca highlights to play so I can only use my imagination to picture his awesomeness. Just relieved he's going to the Saints where he is unlikely to do any real damage.

I'm fascinated as to how Melbourne will go in attempting to fix the many holes in their list. Would imagine Brayshaw a lock and then logic would suggest McCartin but others have suggested he's too similar to Hogan hence Wright and Lever come into the frame. At a pinch you would say:

1. Petracca
2. Brayshaw
3. Wright
4. Lever/McCartin?

Leaving us with ...
laverde, we should take.
Have you seen his highlights?

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is one of the most often repeated ridiculous lines of thought surrounding this draft.

Jesse Hogan was always compared most commonly to Jonathan Brown pre-draft. McCartin has also been compared to Jonathan Brown.

If you could have two Jonathan Browns on your team, exactly why would that be a problem?

Simple. Then you get rid of Alistair Lynch and trade him for a midfielder!

I agree with VV - I'm not sure we are in a position to gamble with known quantities.

We have Scharenberg coming off an injury plagued year and he'll take a bit of building to get him playing football 100% again. I just think we should be looking at risk mitigation with our list a little bit and certainly where there are options early a plenty, my preference is to take someone who's body is still in good shape.

I'm not sure we really need a Lever type player at #5 either, certainly if he does come so close after doing an ACL.

Laverde makes most sense to me, just needs to be there.

My worry after reading some boards is that GWS will take Laverde at 4 knowing that there is a good chance we'll leave Wright and Lever and look at next best which most are saying possibly Ahern. I'd be gutted if this was to happen though.

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
My only concern with taking McCartin, is he too one dimensional these days for a forward, he is not overly tall for a modern KPP at 193/194. Can he go into the ruck or midfield when he is having a bad day or is he good enough to hold down the one position FF or CHF(if he can work on his endurance) year after year. That's why if we go KPP I would prefer Wright (flexibility) by a pinch. Though you won't here me complaining if McCartin's name is called out at 5, worth the risk lots of talent.

Rusty22

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood VFL
My only concern with taking McCartin, is he too one dimensional these days for a forward, he is not overly tall for a modern KPP at 193/194. Can he go into the ruck or midfield when he is having a bad day or is he good enough to hold down the one position FF or CHF(if he can work on his endurance) year after year. That's why if we go KPP I would prefer Wright (flexibility) by a pinch. Though you won't here me complaining if McCartin's name is called out at 5, worth the risk lots of talent.
mccartin is identical to Porkins from the pussys

May 12, 2014
FNQ
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sydney Sixers
If we're going tall, I'd be happy with Durdin.
Plays forward, back & ruck, (48 hitouts in an u/18 grand final).

Yes, I agree, I would be happy with him too. not as popular as Wright, McCartin or Lever but just as much potential and will fit in within the crow-eaters nest we are creating at collingwood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back