Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick 5 - De Goey
Pick 9 - Moore
Pick 30 - McKenzie
Pick 48 - Viojo-Rainbow
Pick 85 - Langdon

With all these names being thrown about, I hate the fact that we don't have another pick in the low 20's. 5, moore, a pick in the 20's and 30 would have been strong for us to package a strong core of talls and mids

Those are roughly the sorts of names to think of re. Blakely. James Kelly, Joel Corey. Redden and Sloane as you mentioned same story. Blakely can be in that conversation of midfielder which without a standout at 5 is a safe and strong way to go in our situation with Blakely for me the more sure thing and sure to be exceptionally good guy who will be available.

He isn't a giant or someone who is so flashy but he just keeps his feet, does everything inside you want (contested ball winning, winning clearances, tackling) but then his ball use is clean and efficient. He's not a heavy scoreboard impact guy, moves well but isn't a linebreaker and perhaps could become more dominant overhead to become more of a threat forward of centre, but few are perfect and Blakely I'm pretty happy with who he is.

I'm glad you're talking him up. From his highlight package, I really like him as having the potential competitiveness, clean hands and size to become an inside star. In terms of a not being exciting enough, I'm willing to bet that the same sort things would have been said about - Kennedy, Mitchell, and most of the other gun inside midfielders in the league.

Left field? Yes. Will it happen? No.

Oakleigh have a strong program, but it would be amateur hour to do something like that.

Think of it this way your in charge of hiring graduates for an organization that turns over $80 million annually. One of the best uni graduates in Australia is automatically assigned to your organization so are you going to recruit 3 others from his graduating class simply because you've kept an eye on this one individual? Or are you going to recruit the best candidates for that position regardless of where they graduated from?

FWIW the program producing the best footballers at the moment for mine is SA's. If we were to specifically target individuals from one area that would be the one. It could result in a draft like below:

5: Durdin
9: Moore
30: Gore/ Neale-Bullen
48: Wigg

However I'd be extremely disappointed if we went down that path...

It wouldn't be amateur hour though as long as we rated the players taken at there respective picks on that level and they fitted a need.

Knightmare has McKenzie going within the top 30, I think Paige might have McLean within the top 40 so it's not so absurd to think the players mentioned would be in the mix at those picks.

Do I think it will happen?

No but I wouldn't be all that surprised if we ended up with 2 Oakleigh players on our list by the end of draft day.

Stop talking up Blakely.

We were hoping for him to slide to 30.;)

P.S-At this stage doesn't appear to be linked to us in any way by any of the scribes.

Knightmare, I noticed a couple weeks ago you were high on laverde at 5, last week you had big wraps for langford and now it is blakely. Is this due to having more time to review their games? And maybe noticing things you may have missed during the season

Knightmare, I noticed a couple weeks ago you were high on laverde at 5, last week you had big wraps for langford and now it is blakely. Is this due to having more time to review their games? And maybe noticing things you may have missed during the season

Given we did that Beams trade for pick 5 I'm going through those early picks fairly extensively and reviewing their games that I have the tapes for so that I can form an order I'm eventually satisfied with.

Up until draft day I will continue to watch through game tapes and the like and continue to change my power rankings with a particular interest in that first pick which for me really is a shocker to pick with no definite best guy.

Blakely in the absence of McCartin and Wright is probably today my slight preference and slightly ahead of Laverde and Langford.

Given we did that Beams trade for pick 5 I'm going through those early picks fairly extensively and reviewing their games that I have the tapes for so that I can form an order I'm eventually satisfied with.

Up until draft day I will continue to watch through game tapes and the like and continue to change my power rankings with a particular interest in that first pick which for me really is a shocker to pick with no definite best guy.

Blakely in the absence of McCartin and Wright is probably today my slight preference and slightly ahead of Laverde and Langford.
Blakely is expected to go much later. Haven't you got him at 31 in your own draft? Someone else has him at 33. How does he all of a sudden jump to 5? :confused:

Accumulators time and time again get wrongly evaluated.

That perception followed Sloane, Parker, Rockliff. Even Beams was considered an accumulator when drafted.

Blakely does all the things good inside players need to do - wins the contested ball, tackle numbers excellent, clearance numbers excellent, has played senior state league footy and performed to a strong standard and is an exceptionally efficient ball user.

Blakely's ceiling is not at all limited. He will just continue to improve as he doesn't have any major limitations to his game that will prevent his game from continuing to progress.

Guys like Laverde, Langford and De Goey are guys you'd like to see become midfielders. But they're not midfielders and may not become midfielders. They're just aspiration/speculative potential midfielders. Many of them have some dominant traits which makes them intriguing but Blakely does more things well and more things to a high level which is the difference there and as a midfielder there is just more performance and less holes to his game than with the others.
I accept you watch far more U'18's footy then I KM. But at pick 5, based on what Hine has done in the past, he's not going a conservative pick at pick 5, which is what Blakely is, based on what I've read. He looks a good player, no doubt, but at pick 5 I'm hoping for a potential superstar, a game changer. Blakely looks to do a lot of things well. I think others have that potential 'superstar' trait. Again based on what I've read.

Blakely looks a guy we'd be happy with, as supporters, but won't turn out to be in the top 5 of the draft long term.

Blakely is expected to go much later. Haven't you got him at 31 in your own draft? Someone else has him at 33. How does he all of a sudden jump to 5? :confused:

I expect Blakely to land somewhere roughly in the 15-25 range. Doesn't mean you can't go early if you like a guy, that's exactly where Pendlebury back in '05 was expected to go and same story with Reece Conca a few years back now. Sometimes clubs will throw in a surprise and go early if they like someone.

I accept you watch far more U'18's footy then I KM. But at pick 5, based on what Hine has done in the past, he's not going a conservative pick at pick 5, which is what Blakely is, based on what I've read. He looks a good player, no doubt, but at pick 5 I'm hoping for a potential superstar, a game changer. Blakely looks to do a lot of things well. I think others have that potential 'superstar' trait. Again based on what I've read.

Blakely looks a guy we'd be happy with, as supporters, but won't turn out to be in the top 5 of the draft long term.

Blakely hasn't been linked to us at 5. Mostly the media have linked us to Laverde and Ahern, so you're right we're likely not looking at him with that selection.

He's just my pick if I had to use the selection today.

Which of the top 20 talent have the greatest impact on big occasions? Cause thats has been a very common pattern of hine picking top end talent. In the year we got pendles and daisy they both played really well in the tac cup Grand final ,same with sidey. Schzza had a ripper championships .
so maybe hine is looking at big impact player at 5

Which of the top 20 talent have the greatest impact on big occasions? Cause thats has been a very common pattern of hine picking top end talent. In the year we got pendles and daisy they both played really well in the tac cup Grand final ,same with sidey. Schzza had a ripper championships .
We already got him at 9 ;)

Moore elevated his game. Nakia Cockatoo really performed on the biggest stage. Menadue similarly in his only final really elevated his game.

Wright dropped away and had a poor finals series.

Of those top end guys they're the ones to really rise/fall away.

Laverde and Ahern have been the ones most strongly linked to Collingwood. Laverde wasn't playing in Western Jets' first and only final. Performed well through the U18 champs so that's a tick. Paul Ahern played above his normal standard through the u18 champs which was something. His finals series for me though was poor. His grand final was the better of those finals games but he only played a half of good footy. So make of that as you will.

Lever who people also seem interested in obviously wasn't healthy this year but last year through the finals performed well, not as productive as normal but still in his first two finals still was good enough to make the bests which is something - seeming more role focused.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I expect Blakely to land somewhere roughly in the 15-25 range. Doesn't mean you can't go early if you like a guy, that's exactly where Pendlebury back in '05 was expected to go and same story with Reece Conca a few years back now. Sometimes clubs will throw in a surprise and go early if they like someone.

Blakely hasn't been linked to us at 5. Mostly the media have linked us to Laverde and Ahern, so you're right we're likely not looking at him with that selection.

He's just my pick if I had to use the selection today.

If we were after a guy predicted to go 15-25 wouldn't it be wise to down trade to pick 10-15 or so and get something else with it instead of using 5?

If we were after a guy predicted to go 15-25 wouldn't it be wise to down trade to pick 10-15 or so and get something else with it instead of using 5?

You can only get back only the pick Brisbane have. But again I'm not predicting Collingwood take Blakely. He's just the best guy I'm seeing there.

Not if you rate him much higher than the alternatives. How stupid would you feel if you downgraded and someone else grabbed him before your new downgraded pick. Then he turns out to be everything you thought he'd be, everything but a Collingwood player.

While I'm here, Knightmare, Snoop Dog, Kyle Langfords ability to kick goals has me interested... What was Pav like at his age? Any similarities at all?

Edit: looks like Pav was a bit more key forward than I remembered but he did miss out on being drafted at all his first eligible year so I'm still interested to know your thoughts since obviously means he wasn't always so highly regarded.

Last edited:
Not if you rate him much higher than the alternatives. How stupid would you feel if you downgraded and someone else grabbed him before your new downgraded pick. Then he turns out to be everything you thought he'd be, everything but a Collingwood player.

While I'm here, Knightmare, Snoop Dog, Kyle Langfords ability to kick goals has me interested... What was Pav like at his age? Any similarities at all?

Langford hits the scoreboard mostly because in the front half he just seems to just about mark everything. He's not nearly as strong as Pavlich or as gifted 1v1. I also prefer Pavlich's skillset, he has big time penetration on his kick. But few if any are in Pavlich's conversation.

I didn't watch u18s in the Pav era. Before my junior football watching days anyway so I can't say what he was like at that stage.

Pavlich early career anyway was always more a key position player - 192cm back then was considered a genuine key position player with few by position taller than that. He mostly was a key forward/key defender and even early on had an All Australian season as a key defender early on. I assume he just had the skillset and ground level ability that was compatible with the midfield, though perhaps someone else can correct me on this aspect if they were watching lots of Pavlich at the time or through the juniors.

It's out of our hands until pick 5 to see what is left to choose from.
ill just wait until draft day when hine reads out a name as next best at pick 5, 30, 48 and 85 because people speculating on here is just a waste of time really as everyone has a different opinion on who they like from watching videos of players or believing media like cal-Jockey-twomey who just state the obvious and sometimes guess... just wait i reckon cos only 25 days to go :)

It's out of our hands until pick 5 to see what is left to choose from, ill just wait until draft day when hine reads out a name as next best
at pick 5, 30, 48 and 85 because people speculating on here is just a waste of time really as everyone has a different opinion on who they like from watching videos of players or believing media like cal-Jockey-twomey who just state the obvious and sometimes guess... just wait i reckon cos only 25 days to go :)
Mate, it is all fun.

yeh but boring after page 15 and we r on 65 saying the same thing :) just wait :)
Idly speculating passes time, of which there is for some at least enough to fill 65 pages. The more circles the argument spins, the greater my familiarity with names. Threads are not so much to be questioned as constructed, mixing as they do some genuine enlightenment with repetition and regurgitation. If Wright falls from the top 4, a spanner will have been tossed into the works. His ordinary form in the finals' games may discourage clubs picking him early. I hope we take Laverde. Our mid field needs some class.

Last edited:
It's out of our hands until pick 5 to see what is left to choose from.
ill just wait until draft day when hine reads out a name as next best at pick 5, 30, 48 and 85 because people speculating on here is just a waste of time really as everyone has a different opinion on who they like from watching videos of players or believing media like cal-Jockey-twomey who just state the obvious and sometimes guess... just wait i reckon cos only 25 days to go :)

I think you've completely missed the point of BigFooty

Langford hits the scoreboard mostly because in the front half he just seems to just about mark everything. He's not nearly as strong as Pavlich or as gifted 1v1. I also prefer Pavlich's skillset, he has big time penetration on his kick. But few if any are in Pavlich's conversation.

I didn't watch u18s in the Pav era. Before my junior football watching days anyway so I can't say what he was like at that stage.
Pavlich the junior was nothing like the descriptions or highlights of Langdon. Whilst Pavlich was overlooked in the first year he was eligible, that was the era clubs could only draft 1 17 year old - therefore being overlooked was incredibly common. The next year he was eligible and a star who was excelling in SANFL seniors as a genuine CHF. He wasn't a flanker at all - in fact the knock on him was he was considered a bit slow and immobile. After being drafted, he worked with a running coach and massively improved his movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back