Bumped Who do you NOT want your club to draft? (2014 edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want the crows to draft: Harry Mckay, Balic or Mathieson. why? well they are Victorians and if they turn out to be guns they will want to return back to Victoria in as soon as they can. we need to learn from our mistakes and pick the best south aussie talent that is available.

I don't want the crows to draft: Harry Mckay, Balic or Mathieson. why? well they are Victorians and if they turn out to be guns they will want to return back to Victoria in as soon as they can. we need to learn from our mistakes and pick the best south aussie talent that is available.

Interesting thoughts Petro. On the contrary in the case of SA's Burton for instance, his a guy that wants to go to Victoria. Wants to be in the state that is the home of footy.

I'll use Milera as an example of a player that may be available at 9th live pick. Would you prefer the club to go after for Wayne than for instances sake Harry McKay or Clayton Oliver even though you have similar outside type players to Milera already on the list. I know there's scope in him to work on the inside but you'd have to think that'd be at least 2 season away from being a regular thing where as someone like Oliver could move into a inside midfield role at AFL level pretty smoothly.

As you would with Milera you can develop McKay at SANFL level and in him you have another ruck option

Clayton Oliver will be the next hodge.

I say that because they are both lard ars*s

Curnow and Oliver at 4/5. Happy with any of the Weideman, Parish, Francis, Milera group.

At 24/25 ill back in our recruiters. I reckon we will take M.Brown at 24/25 if Ben Mckay, Collins, H.Mckay are all gone and dont slide.

Y
Interesting thoughts Petro. On the contrary in the case of SA's Burton for instance, his a guy that wants to go to Victoria. Wants to be in the state that is the home of footy.

I'll use Milera as an example of a player that may be available at 9th live pick. Would you prefer the club to go after for Wayne than for instances sake Harry McKay or Clayton Oliver even though you have similar outside type players to Milera already on the list. I know there's scope in him to work on the inside but you'd have to think that'd be at least 2 season away from being a regular thing where as someone like Oliver could move into a inside midfield role at AFL level pretty smoothly.

As you would with Milera you can develop McKay at SANFL level and in him you have another ruck option
You make very good points but im just fed up at players from interstate leaving us at the end of their contracts. I really think this draft its important to make sure we pick up lads from SA. The crows need a tall forward and a inside mid. matheison fits the inside mid role but he is a country lad and a family man that is close with his family and I think he will return home asap. Same goes with Harry McKay.. he looks the goods but its risky drafting Victorian boys.
Only hope is if they are single and they meet a nice Adelaide girl that is close to her mum and dad lol. Its easier for SA boys to move to melb than it is for vic boys to move to Adelaide.
Anyway in 8 hours time we will know!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyway in 8 hours time we will know!

Thats right.

Just one your point about go home factor in Vic Country boys, I know it's only one example but its the first name that sprung to my mind - Darcy Tucker. Darcy's already done the living away from home thing having attended boarding school IIRC and lived away from home to play for the Rebels in 2015.

For every Tucker there's a Josh Dunkley but. I honestly believe he is a player that won't be comfortably playing for a team outside of Victoria and away from family. Quality player and can step straight into the AFL but I think any bid for him will go unmatched by the Swans. There not screaming out for players like him (already have Mills locked in), have other draft needs to fill and just my own opinion but I think there's a strong sense of go home factor attached to him.

Curnow and Oliver at 4/5. Happy with any of the Weideman, Parish, Francis, Milera group.

At 24/25 ill back in our recruiters. I reckon we will take M.Brown at 24/25 if Ben Mckay, Collins, H.Mckay are all gone and dont slide.
Mitch brown at 24/25 is way to high. No need to waste a pick that high surely.

I don't want Fiorini with one of our first two picks (as seems likely by the talent judges) - kids with a high % of UC have a lower success rate at AFL level, especially one who is always going "safe" in his disposal.
Would love Matheson to fall to us as some suggest is possible.

Wayne Milera. We need another KPF and Weideman looks the goods but his injury history and poor endurance makes me uneasy

Wayne Milera. We need another KPF and Weideman looks the goods but his injury history and poor endurance makes me uneasy
He make take time, but I think Weidemann is the right choice with Melbourne's 2nd pick (if available of course).
You invest in his raw talent, then it's up to the personnel and environment to allow him to get the most out of himself.
Granted, it's something MFC hasn't necessarily done a great job of over the past decade or so, but you have to trust that you have put the right people and processes in place I guess

He make take time, but I think Weidemann is the right choice with Melbourne's 2nd pick (if available of course).
You invest in his raw talent, then it's up to the personnel and environment to allow him to get the most out of himself.
Granted, it's something MFC hasn't necessarily done a great job of over the past decade or so, but you have to trust that you have put the right people and processes in place I guess
True. I guess the recruiting team know way more than we do. If we really thought his poor endurance would impact his career then we won't take him. I back us to develop him despite our draft blunders in the last decade. Salem, Brayshaw, Stretch, Neal Bullen all look the goods. Can't wait to see Petracca

I'll add another 6 players to my list of players I DON'T want us to draft

Josh Dunkley - I think he'll struggle being at any team outside Victoria, this reasoning and other factors is why I don't see the Swans matching any bid either. The fact that he doesn't meet a specific need for them also goes against him.

Aidyn Johnson - No offence but I just think coming of injury in 2015 he will take more time. Still very raw as well. I don't want him especially if players Partington, Cunningham, Fiorini, Parsons or Lovell are available.

Rhys Mathieson - Not a required player

Harley Balic - Right now I'd call him a jack of all trades. Need to settle him into a role whether it's fwd / mid, mid/ fwd, fwd/ back or mid/ back. The whole forward, mid and back thing worries me.

Ben McKay - Not necessary to use a first or second pick on him unless he slides to our third (highly unlikely).

Marcus Adams/ any state league KPD - I do want to get a tall in, but not a taller defender and not someone who has the size to play straight away.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back