Opinion Who do you think are going to be the break out players in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

Having looked at the names thrown up already, I can't knock any of the suggested players. Isn't that bloody exciting?

We have so many young kids on the verge of stamping the name on the comp.

The likes of:
Weller
Billings
Longer
McCartin
Goddard
Ross
McKenzie
Acres
Hickey
Freeman
Templeton
Sinclair
Webster
Dunstan
Lonie

Could all make serious inroads this season. Jesus, I've been trying to remain realistic over the offseason but when you put it like that I'd say you might as well engrave the cup already ;)

Well, there are a number of players we need to break out. But who are your predictions to who'll be the break out players in 2016? similar to Dylan Roberton, Josh Bruce, Jack Sinclair, Shane Savage etc last year.

I'll predict: Eli Templeton (to do similar to Dyl Roberton, after injury affected year/bad form), Blake Acres, Seb Ross.

Also, Brodie Murdoch to be a real surprise packet and have a big season.
he cost me the 5-k prize in sc

Personally I thought Roberton had his breakout year in 2013. Then after injury in 2014 all the goldfish here had forgotten about him and were surprised when he did it again a bit better.
Similar category Dunstan. If Sinclair had a breakout year, why are we disappointed in Dunstan who won more ball, particularly more contested ball, than Sinclair . That's not to say that Dunstan won't get better , i think he will.
Newnes won't have a breakout year, like boiling a frog , the football world will not notice him slowly getting better until one day they will suddenly go "ooooh"? Wouldn't surprise me if he gets more than 500 disposals next year.

Webster is one that i think can lift to a new level, especially if he gets a new role.
Ross if he's found a way to cover more ground faster, the early time trial results are a good indicator.
Acres may make an impact, but i'm not sure he's ready to make the AFL world go Wow just yet.

The top players all win the contested ball, and our best outside Armo, Joey, Steven and Gilbert are ( in order ), Dunstan, Weller, Billings and Ross.
Billings, if he's fit and over his injury is already highly rated for his ball use, if he can stay fit and get his hands on it 25 or 30 times a game the AFL world will be buzzing about him.

I really think if you are a stats and averages nut it's hard to go past Ross- has been building an upwards curve all through his career and was ready to take off before blowing a hammy off the bone. Looks ready to take it to the next level and could see an Armo type break out at some point.
Newnes, again just a constant improver and his late season form saw his stats end up very good. Webster, has again been a consistent improver and as the previous guys have now played enough games to be ready to step it up again.

There isn't anything speculative about any of them and just in the way the coaching staff have played Newnes and Webster would suggest they see them as the natural future stars. Billings might still need another year to get games into him before being consistent but you can see him having a few more outstanding games to wet the lips of the fans next season. There is always one out of the blue bolter though....no one sane saw Bruce kicking 50 goals. Savage and Mav are the right age and pretty close to the mark already.

Billings, if fit, will be close to A grade this season. Hopefully if Hickey gets a chance to ruck he can become a very good ruckman. Carlisle will prove to be a great recruit if he isn't suspended for a long period.

What i'm not sure about is whether Weller is destined to remain a run-with player or whether he'll be off the leash at some point.

They played him as defensive small forward at times last year. He looks better with his run and long kicking. I think it was preseason he had a few kicks on goal from outside 50 and they sailed through. He's not quick off the first couple of steps but once he's moving he's got a good top gear.

Im hoping sincs gets more mid time where he'll get more of the ball. 9/10 something good happens when he has ball in hand! So I'll go with him to explode as a genuine midfielder this year.

Put your money on Seb Ross. Contested beast, just lacked the fitness, and now looks like he has it. Will average 22 disposals a game, 14 contested possessions and 6 clearances.

Surprised Membrey not getting much love here
Members is an interesting one, it seems as though the last spot remaining in the forward line between him, paddy and hickey.

I rate the kid highly with a good work rate and has is very strong one on one with a great mark. He kicking for goal is supposed to be elite, but missed some sitters earlier in the ear which he would nail most of the time.

Will be interesting in the way the forward line shapes up with roo still there. Reminds me a bit of Ryan O'Keefe from the swans the way he goes about it.

For me there are two categories, the consistent improvers and the bolters, we have plenty of both on our list.

Of the consistent improvers: I think Webster, Newnes, Sincs and Weller will improve further this year.

The Bolters:

Ross is my man, we were a lot better in extraction in the second half of last year because of Ross (I will love watching the reaction of Don fans as he tears them up) His kicking has improved and his short passing by foot and his patience will set him apart.

Dunstan is my number two, I think his increased strength and skill will set him up for a big year.

Arces is my number three, I see him being a confidence player. This will mean he needs to feel he belongs at this level, for Acres its about one game, one game were he gos off. The improvement of Ross and Dunstan will help this as the pressure will be on to stay in the side, but he will feel he is not playing a lone hand once in the side.

Billings and Paddy will be elite but may take a year more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gguess you can't really consider him a break out player because he hasnt played yet, but i got a really good feeling about Rice surprizing a lot of people. Firstly he he has the size, toughness, skill, to play and I feel his competivness will hold him in good sted to play at AFL level. Also if you look at players who've been able to spend time at a club before they are actually able to play-Moore,Daniher,Crouch,Omera Hogan i feel as though he will just slot in seemlesly

I think the big improver will be Jack Billing just by getting his body right. But the real excitement will be watching Blake Acres come on this year. He will not be a superstar this year but he will lay some solid claims for a starting position. This kid plays tall much like Dempster can, and I think we have years of watching Acres glide in from the side to mark in front of the pack ahead of us! It's hard to believe he is a good six to nine months younger than Sinclair and Dunstan. I think Gresham will compete from the get go for a spot, much the same way Lonie did.

Having looked at the names thrown up already, I can't knock any of the suggested players. Isn't that bloody exciting?
This.

I've been doing a mental pros and cons list for each player mentioned and for a glass half empty guy like myself it's rare for the positives to outweigh the negatives. :thumbsu:

For the record i'm tipping Billings (providing fitness of course) and Dunstan to go bananas with a solid support crew in Acres, Ross and possibly Gresham and Freeman. The odds offered for the latter two to take out the Rising Star are pretty juicy.

One good thing to take out of Carlisle's suspension is that it should fast track Goddard's development, I'd expect him to play at least 10-15 games without injury.

Thats it! Id say he could play all 22 without injuries.

I've already put $25 on acres & petracca for the rising star, I'll now put $25 on goddard.

Newnesy, Roberton and Webster are going to have a huge 2016 I reckon.

Edit : Oh and Billings! Also Dunstan and Acres. Oh and Paddy and Hughey too. And McKenzie of course. Sincs and Lones will also continue to shine. Membrey will kick bags of goals, Gresham will impress and hopefully Freeman will get a good crack at it. :p

So everyone except Carlisle :( :cry:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back