Opinion Who do you think are going to be the break out players in 2016?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm sorry but there is no way that McCartin will do anything of value this year
Besides the fact that we can't fit every tall on our list into the forward line he's only just doing his second pre season. He's not even close to ready.

Besides the fact that we can't fit every tall on our list into the forward line he's only just doing his second pre season. He's not even close to ready.

Depends on what you regard as value. If he has around 8 to 10 games, contributes, shows improvement, develops his understanding of his role and develops his set shot then I'd call that value.

Depends on what you regard as value. If he has around 8 to 10 games, contributes, shows improvement, develops his understanding of his role and develops his set shot then I'd call that value.
I agree with you but I don't want to risk him losing the confidence from not making the expected progress.
Safer to let him play vfl for a bit.

I agree with you but I don't want to risk him losing the confidence from not making the expected progress.
Safer to let him play vfl for a bit.
Hogan comes to mind as an example of your argument.

In regards to Paddy I don't think anyone is expecting him to dominate this year. It's well known that big blokes take longer. (Hogan isn't the norm. That kid is a freak) He will get fitter and learn his craft and kicking regular bags will come in a few years. Paddy will make it as he's a natural footballer, hardworking and so competitive. Love him.

Hogan comes to mind as an example of your argument.

Hogan is not good because he played a lot of AFL. He's good because he's Hogan.
He came in and kicked 2 goals and played a season averaging around 2. He only failed to score on one occasion.
McCartin came in and kicked zilch and kicked 3 out of 6 games.

Yes he probably needs some AFL time. But it will also help him to go back to VFL and remember how to kick some buckets.

I'd expect his progress to be more comparable to that of Joe Daniher, Tom Hawkins than Hogan.
He's no sure thing either. Hopefully he'll end up better than Jay Schulz.

He came in and kicked 2 goals and played a season averaging around 2. He only failed to score on one occasion.

Yes he probably needs some AFL time. But it will also help him to go back to VFL and remember how to kick some buckets.

I'd expect his progress to be more comparable to that of Joe Daniher, Tom Hawkins than Hogan.
Hogan was a year older and had an extra 2 preseasons.
McCartin was getting 3-4 goals each week in the VFL he is beyond it he needs AFL game time. He'll pay every week as long as he meets some targets.
Richo doesn't rate VFL experience or he would of had our guys play in the finals.

Paddy is a better mark and kick then Daniher

I reckon Schultz is a pretty underrated player He is very accurate and was a big part of why Port went back up the ladder. Agree Hogan is more dominant than most his age though. I reckon Paddy is probably a Tex walker type, has a similar style to him.

Wait, what? This is completely untrue. Richo most certainly uses VFL experience to push players into correcting weaknesses in their game.
He means, when Sandy made the Finals and the Saints season finished most of the Saints listed players didn't go back even though some had qualified for Finals (Goddard/McCartin).

I think most had to have Surgery which was why, I don't think there were many that were rested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wait, what? This is completely untrue. Richo most certainly uses VFL experience to push players into correcting weaknesses in their game.
I guess i was surprised we didn't have some players come back into Sandy for the finals last year. I understand that players have been set targets in the VFL to meet but that its not a direct translation to AFL skillls like Minch not being played on the inside in AFL games.
I personally think McCartin is ready to play a full year otherwise there isn't much point in Roo moving to the wing

And what is this based on?
Training watchers reckon he is quantifiably more fitter and had more endurance than last season.

I guess i was surprised we didn't have some players come back into Sandy for the finals last year. I understand that players have been set targets in the VFL to meet but that its not a direct translation to AFL skillls like Minch not being played on the inside in AFL games.
I personally think McCartin is ready to play a full year otherwise there isn't much point in Roo moving to the wing

Roo has to spend more time on the wing now regardless.

It's just a matter of which three out of Bruce, Hickey, McCartin and Membrey make the best combination in his absence.

I'm tipping all 3 players from the 2013 draft to have big years. Jack Billings will show he will be an elite player of the competition, and hopefully will spend more time in the middle.

Dunstan has had a terrific start to his career and I'm expecting him to take things to the next level this year. Still yet to play a game of VFL and already had 35 games of experience under his belt, another pre season will do him wonders.

And from all reports Blake Acres is looking fantastic at the moment. He's seen as the next big thing by a lot of Saints fans. I won't go that far, but I do think he'll improve out of sight this year and show us that he will be a good player for the club.

I m be one of few that wants a 5 or 6 time AA forward to still play on the forward line. He is a champion forward. I reckon he will be an average onballer. I know we need to develop forwards but there is time and room on the forward line. We certainly for most of the season .

I m be one of few that wants a 5 or 6 time AA forward to still play on the forward line. He is a champion forward. I reckon he will be an average onballer. I know we need to develop forwards but there is time and room on the forward line. We certainly for most of the season .
Roo has always played that high half forward role, he's just so ridiculously fit that he can make it back to kick goals. I'm not sure much would really change if we played him on the wing, except for where they write his name on the board. I think Paddy and Bruce can still learn a lot from him as a forward too so it's vital they are around him as much as possible.

See I'm of the thinking that Bruce, McCartin and Membrey/Hickey need to get used to playing together in the forward line without Roo there. Also the team need to look for them rather than just Roo when kicking into the forward 50. It'll be a smoother transition once Rooey retires that way. Plus he's on the ground to help the forwards out if and when they need it.

Last edited:
Roo has always played that high half forward role, he's just so ridiculously fit that he can make it back to kick goals. I'm not sure much would really change if we played him on the wing, except for where they write his name on the board. I think Paddy and Bruce can still learn a lot from him as a forward too so it's vital they are around him as much as possible.

As our coach has said our young side needs a connection from backline to forward line.
When opposition has the ball he will drift back to support backline , will also provide a target on kick ins.
By playing to his strengths marking & running and he will be a headache on Etihad moving all over the ground.
Also he will get to 2017 by not being bashed around flying against 3 defenders all the time.

As our coach has said our young side needs a connection from backline to forward line.
When opposition has the ball he will drift back to support backline , will also provide a target on kick ins.
By playing to his strengths marking & running and he will be a headache on Etihad moving all over the ground.
Also he will get to 2017 by not being bashed around flying against 3 defenders all the time.

The thing is last year he was taking marks from kick ins 20 metres from the opposition goal. He then struggles to know what to do with it because it isn't his natural position. That should never be his go. Also the strength of him in the forward line is his marking and running. That wont be a strength on the wing IMO. Every mid would be as fit as him where as every back isn't as fit as him. As for marking well that's hardly an issue for an outside mid which he will play if he is on the wing. I know everyone points to Richo but there is a big difference. One footy has changed and two Richo was a 6 time AA forward.

The thing is last year he was taking marks from kick ins 20 metres from the opposition goal. He then struggles to know what to do with it because it isn't his natural position. That should never be his go. Also the strength of him in the forward line is his marking and running. That wont be a strength on the wing IMO. Every mid would be as fit as him where as every back isn't as fit as him. As for marking well that's hardly an issue for an outside mid which he will play if he is on the wing. I know everyone points to Richo but there is a big difference. One footy has changed and two Richo was a 6 time AA forward.

I think it's probably as much about the future of the team once he hangs up the boots though really. It might reinvigorate his passion giving him a new challenge also. I'm pretty sure the club want him to be productive but still have to forward plan. I'm sure it 's not a full time wing man role anyway.

See I'm of the thinking that Bruce, McCartin and Membrey/Hickey need to get used to playing together in the forward line without Roo there. Also the team need to look for them rather than just Roo when kicking into the forward 50. It'll be a smoother transition once Rooey retires that way. Plus he's on the ground to help the forwards out if and when they need it.

Agree it is called the " legacy of Reiwoldt " its very clear the way Richo coaches now and into the future.

Just interested in what other posters think, so no need to justify your selections (unless you really want to :)) but in what order would you rank the players on each line (listed alphabetically) in terms of first in line to be selected (assume everyone is fit and available)

> Coghlan, Delaney, Lee, Shenton, Wright
> Carlisle, Goddard
> Dempster, Fisher, Geary
> Hickey, Holmes, Pierce
> Gilbert, Newnes, Roberton, Savage, Webster, Wright
> Curren, McKenzie, Murdoch, Templeton
> Gresham, Lonie, Sinclair
> Bruce, McCartin, Membrey
> Freeman, O'Kearney, Rice, White

Remove this Banner Ad

Back