Opinion Who does Blicavs replace from the backline?

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL > 2014 Peter Jackson VFL > Geelong Cats > Geelong Cats

Season Statistics
M
LAST G MG MGV TIB
13 2014-08-22 11 2

Game Log
DATE
OPPOSITION BST G BHD KE KIE HE HIE HR CM UM MKS TKS FF FA HO
Sat 19/Apr Box Hill Hawks 0 0 0 6 0 0 3 1 0 6 6 0 0 0 0
Sun 27/Apr North Ballarat 0 0 1 3 4 1 1 1 0 5 5 1 0 0 0
Sun 4/May Richmond Tigers 0 0 0 1 0 3 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0
Sat 17/May Williamstown 0 0 0 4 2 3 1 0 1 2 3 1 1 1 0
Sat 24/May Collingwood 0 2 0 6 3 0 1 2 1 5 6 1 0 0 1
Sat 7/Jun Port Melbourne 0 1 0 5 3 4 1 2 0 5 5 0 2 0 0
Sat 14/Jun Coburg 0 2 2 5 5 2 4 3 1 7 8 2 0 0 0
Sat 21/Jun Werribee Tigers 0 0 0 3 2 3 1 1 0 4 4 0 0 0 0
Sun 29/Jun Northern Blues 0 2 1 7 4 0 0 1 1 5 6 1 3 0 0
Sat 12/Jul Richmond Tigers 0 0 0 2 2 3 0 1 0 3 3 2 0 0 0
Sun 20/Jul Sandringham 0 2 0 5 0 4 0 5 0 3 3 2 0 0 0
Sat 2/Aug Frankston 0 1 1 5 3 3 3 2 0 5 5 1 0 0 0
Fri 22/Aug Essendon 0 1 0 4 0 4 1 4 0 2 2 0 0 0 0

To summise, Toohey played 13 games, kicked 11 goals and had the most goals kicked in 2 games.

Saw him play twice and he did very well at CHF agains Coburg I think it was - kicked 2 or 3 that day.
And he's a unit too. 197 and 93 kgs. He just needs time to develop. Walker was big when he came in and it just takes the big fellas time.
Id suggest his place is down back as a KPD but he is mobile enough and clean below his knees enough to also play up forward if needed.

I was surprised Bourke got released but happy that if was between the two, Toohey was retained.
Luxford and Toohey are the two im watching closely this year in the VFL.

GO Catters

Lux and Toohey , yes but there will be quite few I hope to see more of and see their development.

Of course the more mature guys will be of interest will Vardy and Menzel if and when etc... Cowan & Blease need to do it asap, the other Rookies Lucey and Read what can they bring but really its slow burn from our higher rated draftees that can sometime be subtle for outsiders , but for us , can create our confidence.

Hartman , the 2013 guys Lang and Jansen , as well as the 2014 "Fantastic Four". Really hope that we have a kid or three that can elevate from the usually slow progression , standout and demand AFL selection but on the whole it will be the steady progression from our draftees that will set us up again in 2016+. Be nice to have a very strong VFL side again , driven on the back of these young guys.

Lonergan was a spud in defence back around 2008. Fast forward three years and he ultimately became a premiership fullback who played an absolutely crucial role in putting the stops on Travis Cloke. Today, he remains a key part of our backline. Testament to this was the fact that the doggies offered him a three year deal worth 1.5m despite the fact that he will be close to 31 by the time the season proper begins.

Blicavs could be all that and more. You know that he can run all day with your Riewoldts and now with the bulk he's added, he could be closing in on any strengtg deficiency, too. He's developed at an exceptionally fast rate as a footballer in all the areas that he's been asked to play, so I've got no concerns about whether he can make it as a defender. I think he'll do great!
Lonergan in 08 hardly played defence iirc. But the stats could well prove me wrong. Even as a KF, I have never thought he was a spud.
And if you saw his versatility in te 07 VFL GF, a stunning Mr. Fixit performance at both ends, there was always going to be the hope he could be an AFL player. And that he is.

Lux and Toohey , yes but there will be quite few I hope to see more of and see their development.

Of course the more mature guys will be of interest will Vardy and Menzel if and when etc... Cowan & Blease need to do it asap, the other Rookies Lucey and Read what can they bring but really its slow burn from our higher rated draftees that can sometime be subtle for outsiders , but for us , can create our confidence.

Hartman , the 2013 guys Lang and Jansen , as well as the 2014 "Fantastic Four". Really hope that we have a kid or three that can elevate from the usually slow progression , standout and demand AFL selection but on the whole it will be the steady progression from our draftees that will set us up again in 2016+. Be nice to have a very strong VFL side again , driven on the back of these young guys.

I wasn't specific enough. I meant of the rookies those are two i'll be watching closely.

Go Catters

Thanks to those who responded to my question on Toohey,us who live out of the state really are reliant on you blokes for quality info when it comes to the VFL boys.

don't be calling me local! :D

Go Catters

.. and the 'B-list' rookies only get the 2 years?

They get 3 years of B list eligibility but are offered 2 year contracts when they first sign I believe. The third year is an option or renegotiated i believe.

This is why Blitz went full 3 years to help the club with list management.

Go Catters

Sorry Local resident media tart extraordinaire.:p

if your definition of local is 17500kms away, id hate to see what long distance is….

Go Catters

They get 3 years of B list eligibility but are offered 2 year contracts when they first sign I believe. The third year is an option or renegotiated i believe.

This is why Blitz went full 3 years to help the club with list management.

Go Catters
Thanks Daz- I'd forgotten about the length of their first contract.

I was reading the rules last night and one of the rules states that a club can only retain up to 3 rookies at a time for their second year, with the remainder having to be delisted or promoted.

We took Toohey, Bates, Bourke and Luxford all together at the end of 2014. It looks like Bourke was a casualty of that rule, unfortunately, and the injured Bates was obviously rated highly enough to be gambled on for a second season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I drew the same comparison after watching him against Coburg last year.

Maybe I read it and thought it coincided with what I saw , not sure CE.
BG had his faults , far from perfect but if Toohey could get to Ben's level we all would all be happy. A full year at FB is something I hope he gets.

I've got two chains on the dog today.
Ah- I forgot- you're up in Qld, aren't you?
I saw the cloud from the Lows floating around up there and the NW a couple of days ago when I checked the radar website but didn't realise a cyclone had formed. Just read an article about TC Marcia now. Sheet!!! Great Keppel is falling into the sea and there are houses down all over the place, by the looks! :( Good luck! I hope you and yours are all OK.

Vdubs I only saw a few snippets of Toohey playing in the VFL but thought he looked a bit like a young Tom Hawkins.

Gonna wet that one down a bit. Size and stature yes at the same age - but thats it.

Lets not draw those comparisons to a Rookie listed kid in his second year. He could do very well for us - and I think he will - but not under the "next Hawkins" cloud…

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back