Who had the Biggest Choke in Grand Final History?

Remove this Banner Ad

2004 Lions.

Everyone said experience would get them over the line. Didn't happen.

2008 Cats.

Hot favourites. Kicked themselves out of the game.

2012 Hawks.

Hot favourites. Dominated at some points and looked like they were going to run away with it. Sydney kicked the last 4 goals. Clinton Young falling over in the goalsquare sums up the choke.

Any other big chokes?

La Vache

Premiership Player
Aug 4, 2005
Melb
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
flyers, suns
Depends what you define as a choke. For me it will always be North in '98. Not only did they kick 6.15 in the first half but that second quarter might be the most dominant quarter in a Grand Final I can remember. And they booted 2.11.

They were winning 50/50's all over the ground. But then they just dropped off completely. Who knows what happened there.

Dec 17, 2007
richmond
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool, sevilla
Collingwood 2010 #1. Very lucky it didn't go to extra time and got to play the next week

One of the great myths of 2010 is that the saints were finishing all over collingwood and that the pies were lucky it didn't go to extra time. When goddard goals to put the saints in front, there is still the best part of 7 mins of playing time left. If the saints were finishing all over them, why did they not run away with the game? It was actually the pies who dominated the last 7 mins of the game, and hayes' point to level the scores was pretty much the saints 1st forward entry in about 6 mins. Had it gone to extra time, the pattern of the game in those dying mins was that the pies would actually have pulled away

some massive chokes - st kilda 97, north 98, cats 08, saints 09, hawks 12

Collingwood 2010 #1. Very lucky it didn't go to extra time and got to play the next week

that was the saints that choked. I mean, leaving macaffer open on the flank to give a deep inside 50? Have Cloke run into that open goal?

It was the saints that choked.

Can't remember us choking in 2004. Got beaten by a team with better preparation and we had a few too many injuries taken in.

Port 2007 I think was the biggest choke in recent history being a 120 point raping.

it wasn't that bad

it was only 119

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 8, 2006
2014 or 2008. Probably 2008.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys and Texas Longhorns
2012 Hawks.

Hot favourites. Dominated at some points and looked like they were going to run away with it. Sydney kicked the last 4 goals. Clinton Young falling over in the goalsquare sums up the choke.

Any other big chokes?

Yes - the hot favourites who spent most of the year behind Sydney on the ladder and who were towelled up by the Swans in Tasmania.

It wasn't a choke - it was a cracking game with a number of momentum shifts.

May 29, 2008
Australia
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
SS Lazio
Can't remember us choking in 2004. Got beaten by a team with better preparation and we had a few too many injuries taken in.

Port 2007 I think was the biggest choke in recent history being a 120 point raping.

Port were not favourites so in no way was that a choke.

Brisbane choked in 2004 because Brisbane were favourites after winning the previous 3 due to AFL handouts.

I was waiting for that. Just looked up the score.

that wasn't a choke. the reality was, we were pretty ordinary at best throughout the season but everyone we played against had key outs and lady luck got us wins we shouldn't have.

Geelong smashed us during the season reflecting the quality gap but somehow we faced off with them. Worse than getting smashed in the GF, we ended up signing on William's extension and are darkest days ahead was then assured.

Feb 11, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Saints 97

lol, yeah very few people outside of Adelaide gave the Crows a chance. In fact, I recall some of the preparations for the Grand Final started on the Saturday morning of the prelims with it being a guaranteed St Kilda v Western Bulldogs finale. At least North can say they were beaten by the reigning premiers, St Kilda had it all on a platter.

Yes - the hot favourites who spent most of the year behind Sydney on the ladder and who were towelled up by the Swans in Tasmania.

It wasn't a choke - it was a cracking game with a number of momentum shifts.

Sydney appeared to be slowing down at the end of the season, losing to the pies and Hawks and the end of the H&A season.

Hawks won the minor premiership and were definitely favourites.

Sep 18, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Leeds United
One of the great myths of 2010 is that the saints were finishing all over collingwood and that the pies were lucky it didn't go to extra time. When goddard goals to put the saints in front, there is still the best part of 7 mins of playing time left. If the saints were finishing all over them, why did they not run away with the game? It was actually the pies who dominated the last 7 mins of the game, and hayes' point to level the scores was pretty much the saints 1st forward entry in about 6 mins. Had it gone to extra time, the pattern of the game in those dying mins was that the pies would actually have pulled away

some massive chokes - st kilda 97, north 98, cats 08, saints 09, hawks 12
Guess we have different opinions on the game.
Collingwood were 4 goals up at half time, kicked the 1st goal of the last quarter then stkilda kicked 3 of the next 4 with the ball being in and around our forward 50 for the last 2-3 minutes.
It was almost a choke for the pies, but as I said you got to play the next week, and as you were by far and away the best team all year proved it pretty comfortably

Remove this Banner Ad

Back