Who has been the better player: Robin van Persie or Wayne Rooney?

Who has been the better player?

• Robin van Persie

• Wayne Rooney

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 16, 2003
Murrumbeena
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hello all,

Two players who at the top of their game were world class. Both brilliant up front and able to play quality football in behind. Similar stage of their careers and both at the same club (hopefully reducing bias).

Just wondering who you think has been the better player over the course of their careers (and what seperates them for you)?

Robin is probably the better pure striker, but Rooney's ability to play mulitple positions edges it.

Not saying you're wrong but just wondering if you are old enough to have seen RvP in his early Arsenal years when he played more as a number 10, feeding the likes of Henry or in Holland, when he played exclusively on the left wing?

Well your comparing their careers as a whole, if you said who is the better striker only id say RVP.
But that's not the question either.

You're comparing their careers, not their position, or who is the better forward.

Being versatile doesn't make you have a better career, or John O'Shea would be the greatest player ever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

careers?

shrek easily. multiple time prem and champions league winner, record england scorer, utd records, cups, etc.

it's not even a contest.

You may have known what I meant but I have changed the thread title if any confusion - I was not asking who has had the most team success (anyone can read a list of titles) but who has been the better player. Not saying that should change your answer.

it really doesnt.

when van persie was spending most of his time in the injury room, shrek was having just an absolutely massive spell as a world class player. it am over the moon to see him playing in midfield, because he's still utd's best striker. while van persie is a good striker, he's no rooneh

I have them very tough to split. I probably lean toward Van Persie for being slightly more mecurial and being more prolific as a striker. I also generally tend to prefer finesse over strength and while Rooney is very classy, RvP shades him for finesse IMO. Rooney also has a nasty habit of getting carded or sent off. On the flip side, however, Rooney has been far more durable and played more games as a result. The comment about him being world class while RvP is in rehab is pretty accurate.

it really doesnt.

when van persie was spending most of his time in the injury room, shrek was having just an absolutely massive spell as a world class player. it am over the moon to see him playing in midfield, because he's still utd's best striker. while van persie is a good striker, he's no rooneh

Whilst your comment is a fair one, I found the bolded intersting.

Rooney is an incredible striker but van Persie's record more than compares. van Persie has won the PL golden boot twice, Rooney has never won.

Van Persie scores more often (goals per game) and assists more often, despite playing in slightly weaker teams over his career and missing a lot of football at the peak of his career (and coming on as sub more often due to those injuries).

Add in international career and van Persie has more goals from less games.

Still happy for people to pick Rooney though as its close and he has played more football.

Van Persie only has 3 seasons that matched his potential - 10/11 11/12 and 12/13

The biggest criticism of Rooney is that he hasn't lived up to his potential. There's just this feeling that he should have been someone on Messi/Ronaldo level....

When you think that he'll probably end up being only the second player ever to break 200 Premier league goals (181 now @ 29), Probably break England's goal scoring record (48 to 46) and the huge amount of titles hes won that's a pretty high standard he's being held to.

Being played in midfield/bad attitude hasn't helped him but he's easily been the better player/better career than Van Persie.

30 Million bargain.

Back